1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

looking at a used 2006

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by paul eggers, Feb 2, 2014.

1. paul eggers

paul eggers New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I had the opportunity to drive a 2002 prius for a few weeks. Its a nice little car and the mpg is addicting. I found a 2006 for sale with 62,000 mi. for $10,500 with a new inverter battery and very good condition. How is that price? I see it has the 1.5 l engine is the power the same as a 02?

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 2G drivetrain has slightly more power compared to the Classic. Although the gasoline engine in both have the same basic design, there are subtle differences between Classic and 2G. The 2G hybrid system is also advanced with higher three-phase AC voltage used to drive the two MGs which results in more efficiency since less power is consumed by resistance losses.

3. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Is the "inverter battery" the high-voltage traction pack or the 12v aux battery or the inverter and one of the batteries?

The 2nd gen also seems to have longer-lasting high-voltage packs than the 1st gen.

One little trouble spot on the 2nd gen is the engine water pump--it can develop leaks. Look down the left side of the engine for the large, black pulley near the bottom. If leaking, you should see some pink deposits inside the pulley or nearby, and sometimes on the underside of the hood. It costs about $390 at a dealer service department or $100 DIY to replace. That, and the 12v aux battery and tires have been the only items I've had to address since new.

I've been very happy with the 2nd gen--it's the ideal car for me.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    price tends to depend on location, but it sounds about average. i would want to know why the battery was replaced and a complete service/accident history. all the best!(y)