1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking at buying a prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by eej5, Apr 5, 2006.

1. eej5

eej5 New Member

all...

My husband and I will be in the market for a new vehicle soon and getting a hybrid is No. 1 on our priority list. However, there are other things we need in a vehicle so I thought I'd ask if you all think a Prius would fit the bill. Here are some things we'll need in a car (energy efficiency and environmental stewardship understood).

1. Room for the dogs. We have two 50-pound dogs that I'd like to get out of the back seat and into a cargo area. I know the Prius isn't so big behind the back seat, but I'm wondering if anyone lets their dogs ride back there and if there is room. We wouldn't put them back there for long. At most for a 30 minute drive to my parents' house.

2. Car seat compatability. Anyone have carseats in the backseat of their Prius? Are they easy to access? Safe?
    No kids yet, but we tend to keep our cars for a long time, so it's likely we will have them someday.

3. Pick up. I'm used to driving a pretty sporty, 5-speed Civic coupe, so I know going to a hybrid will probably not be as quick. But I still want to be able to manuever in traffic, ect. with ease. Anyone have comments on the Prius pick up, etc.?

I drove a Prius a few years ago, but we haven't done any real test driving yet. We're not quite ready for the sales pitch. Still investigating what we want to test.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eej5 @ Apr 5 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]235229[/snapback]</div>
    Clearly you're brilliant people for making this wise decision...welcome to PC.

There's plenty of room for them behind the seat, and even more if you fold down the back seat (you didn't mention if you have kids that would prohibit that). If you take out the floor to expose the hidden compartment there's even more headroom. I routinely travel with my 60+lb black lab for the 1 1/2 hour commute to our lake place.

I have 3 kids all 3 fit well in their car seats in the back seat with no problem at all. The car is LATCH equipt with tether hooks on the back of the seat for all 3 positions. The seats are tight to get in and very large seats won't fit 3 across....but you'll prob. be ready for a different car before you hit the 3 kid level.

You need to test drive one, you'll be very pleasantly suprised at how sprite the Prius is. You'll have no complaints.

You prob. won't get much sales pitch since most places have a waiting list...if anything they'll try to talk you into something else.

Also, if you're not in a huge hurry, take a look at the Camry Hybrid...should be a very nice family car if not quite as fuel efficient and evironmentally efficient as the Prius. But the Prius serves me very well for my family of 5 + 2 dogs.

3. eej5

eej5 New Member

Thanks. That helps. Good news is we're not really in a hurry, so a waiting list won't deter us.

4. Thomas Brock

Thomas Brock New Member

I don't have any input on the animals as my spouse won't allow me to have a pooch...BUT...I do tend to carry quite a bit of crap around with me...The Prius has plenty of space in the rear and once you get those seats down, you'd nearly double your storage space!

I have 1 kid that rides quite comfortably in the back in her carseat. Like Evan said, there are three tether hooks for safety.

The Prius has quite a bit of spunk, should you need it...I try not to misbehave in The Rhino but sometimes, the pedal just sticks to the floor, ya know? ;)

All in all, you should test drive before you buy...If you can't find a dealer with one, try finding anyone with one. If you live near Jacksonville, NC, I'd certainly let you drive mine! (I've let several people try driving the Prius, as experience is the only way to really sell the car!).

The Prius is a great car, especially if you commute a lot (I have a 30+ mile daily commute). It's also a great car for small families (expecting quintuplets, you may want a Highlander Hybrid or the Camry Hybrid!).

Just my opinions, of course...

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eej5 @ Apr 5 2006, 07:25 AM) [snapback]235229[/snapback]</div>
    If possible, try to rent one for a couple of days. Before I got mine I rented one for two weeks so see what it was like on a normal commute and taking my parents into the mountains. That way you won't have a sales pitch and let the car sell itself. The 2006 will be different from the one you drove a few years ago so you may notice differences.

As for pickup, the Prius is pretty quick off the line (at least to 34mph). 0-60 is about 10 seconds, with a top speed of 104 mph (there's software that prevents it from going much higher).

6. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

I think you guys really need a Highlander Hybrid. Especially if you will ever want to take the dogs and the kids at the same time.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RichBoy @ Apr 5 2006, 10:18 AM) [snapback]235262[/snapback]</div>
    I disagree. Occasional 30 minute trips with the dogs and they don't have kids yet and the HiHy get's half the mpg of the Prius. We have a HiHy, we take the Prius on family trips/drives 80% of the time, the dog always rides in the Prius even when I have the kids with me.

There's plenty of room. The cargo area of the HiHy is not any bigger, as far as floor space, than the Prius--biggest difference is the vertical space.

8. yauman

yauman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eej5 @ Apr 5 2006, 07:25 AM) [snapback]235229[/snapback]</div>
    All cars buillt for the US after 2002 must have the LATCH system for anchoring child seat. All child seats sold after Sept 1, 2002 must be LATCH compliant . So, the PRIUS is LATCH compliant and if you buy a new car seat today, it will have all the necessary straps and the Prius will have the anchor points.

9. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

I think the Prius will suit you well. It is the most practical of all current and near-future hybrids; it's the most fuel efficient hybrid and yet it has plenty of storage space and is quite speedy enough for anything you need. SUV hybrids get mileage in the mid-20's, and they're really expensive, and the Civic Hybrid and upcoming Camry Hybrid don't have alot of storage space so they don't sound very appropriate for you.

10. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    my main passenger is my dog........!
    she has scratched the plastic below the drivers side window.......and left some scratches on the passenger side dashboard.

I keep all the cloth seats covered with towels.......you should consider going with leather which is probably way easier to keep clean. We're by the beach so she's alway's tracking sand in the car. Not a problem ....just a reality! [​IMG]

Pep?.....lmao.....unless your drag racing superchargers......your gonna find the Pious has plenty of Pep for driving Stop sign to Stop sign...Highway speeds.....etc...uphill....downhill....blah blah blah. I find it pretty comical sitting at a light next to a 400 horse power vette or these old school New mustangs.....all dressed up and no where to go :D

I went from a 6k lb Chevy truck to my Pious........had many concerns....but.....i love my Pious.

Oh....here's my dashboard scratchin pooch....Rocks

http://web.mac.com/bruz1111/iWeb/Kiapet.co...ut%20Rocks.html

[​IMG]

11. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nobody seems to have problems with dogs in the Prius, aside from the smell and hair. I have cats. Less smell, same amount of hair, a lot smaller body. One is a cage cat because he has a tendancy to hide under seats when you are driving and makes a lot of noise. Put him in a carrier and he gets quite and doesn't end up wedging himself someplace I don't want him to be. The other cat is very old and she just sits in the back and looks out the lower slit window. I don't drive with the cats much. Mostly to the vet when it is necessary.

When you put down the seats you have an amazing amount of cargo room. With the seats up you have good room in the back, and the under-floor storage is useful for hiding stuff you don't want seen or don't want sliding around in the back. The cargo cover is also good for hiding stuff and eliminating glare and reflections on the rear glass from stuff you might have in the back.

I've never herd of any problem with car seats. All the anchors are there.

The car is all torque, especially off the line. It can get up and go with the best of them, but accelerating to highway speeds takes about the same time as any 4-cylinder mid-sized car. Acceleration is smooth and without pause. It tends to fool you a little because you do not feel gear transitions as they are not there. Highway acceleration is good also. Basically, once you are at a speed the car tends to have plenty in reserve to go faster.

You are going to really enjoy this car.