1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking at Camry without driving one

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Tideland Prius, May 14, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    By and large, the people who buy the Camry (and most other Toyota models) do so because they don't really like cars but they know they have to own one. They want an appliance that will serve their needs with maximum reliability and minimum angst, and Camry has served them well for decades. The blandness of the car and the changes in the auto industry that have pushed many other products up to or even beyond Camry's level matter not to these folks. Camry and Toyota have served them well enough so far, so why should they spend any time thinking about another model or even another brand?

Full Article

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 14 2006, 07:17 PM) [snapback]255409[/snapback]</div>

Of course this doesn't apply to Prius owners who love their car and want to know more about it.

3. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I must agree with the article. Toyota was always at the bottom of my list (that said ony Japanese and European brands where on it). To me the Camry is so dull that it's painful. I think this was one reason it took me awhile t ofind the prius.

I hope they realize they can/are capturing a new audience with the Prius. It's the only hip car they have and the only one I would currently concider.

4. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmm, after reading that article, I guess if we don't drive flashy sports cars like Corvettes, we are dull, boring people.

And the only reason that Toyota has record profits is creative accounting and a product of monetary conversions.

All of the people I know that have Camry's enjoy them. We would have gotten a Camry if the Prius wasn't available. So what if it doesn't look like a Ferrari? Some people don't need a flashy look to enjoy it.

5. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like the writer may also have written the article without seeing, driving or researching Toyota's L-finesse styling theme seen in the '07 Camry and other Toy/Lex models.

Boring? Really?

[​IMG]

6. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd agree with the gist of the article. It's much the same in Europe; the bulk of Toyota's line-up is dull, dull, dull: Yaris, Corolla, Avensis, Verso, yawn. Same for the Lexus range. The Celica's the only only Toyota/Lexus other than the Prius I'd remotely consider above the competition. Oh, I suppose the Aygo's quite cute, actually.

And of course the Camry's so mind-crushingly dull they gave up trying to sell it in Europe 2-3 years ago...

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with KMO. Toyota Europe's lineup is rather pathetic. The Corolla you guys had years ago with that ugly round headlights (à la 2002 Impreza) and the Avensis of 99/00 which looked like a car from the early 90s.