1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Looking At Lincoln MKZ Hybrid...

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by JeffHastings, Aug 9, 2016.

1. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just took a test drive of a 2017; REALLY nice car! Far from being the greenest of hybrids but feels solid and rides and handles like a dream. A far cry from the Ford Taurus I used to own, though that wasn't a bad car. Biggest caveat is the rather low resale value but I'd keep the car for 5 to 6 years so it's not too much of a detriment. I'd get the lowest trim Premiere model which eschews interior wood trim, the option to get a moonroof and other goodies but this would still be a pricey car for me. I think it comes off as a reasonable alternative to some pricier European and Japanese near-luxury sedans and since it sells in lower numbers than much of its' competition, it's less ubiquitous on the road. One plus is that Lincoln offers its' hybrid MKZ for the same MSRP as the 2.0L turbo gas engine, unlike other competitors which offer hybrids. Wondering if anyone in here has any experience with one of these. Yes, it's basically a dressed up Ford Fusion Hybrid with worse MPG, owing to different tires that favor ride comfort over low rolling resistance but it still averages 34 MPG according to Consumer Reports (the Fusion Hybrid averages 39 MPG according to their tests). I'm not wild about the look of the Fusion but I love the styling of this Lincoln. I welcome any feedback or comments about this particular car:
    2017 Lincoln MKZ - Build & Price

bwilson4web likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my brother just leased an mkc. not hybrid. nice inside, tiny rear seat and really noisy engine inside the cabin. he likes it though. all the best!(y)

3. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The MKC is a crossover based on the Ford Escape, not a sedan like the MKZ. They likely share the same 2.0L turbo four which likely IS noisy. The Hybrid isn't and unlike the turbo four, is rated to run on regular gasoline. The MKC, like the Escape, has a poor reliability record according to Consumer Reports. The MKZ has an average record overall and I suspect the Hybrid has better reliability than the turbo four. The turbo four also delivers mediocre fuel economy while the Hybrid's is good for its class.

bisco likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was looking at a MKZ back in September 2012 until the Federal Government was shut down and a lot of people were sent home. Nobody lost their pay but I thought it unwise to spend money on a car. I was looking at it because I could get one with the Ford safety features similar to TSS-P. Instead, in 2016 I went another direction primarily because of the BMW equivalent to TSS-P.

Still, the MKZ is a nice ride and in September there will be a model year change. You should see some softening of the price.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

5. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the feedback; I don't even know what TSS-P is but it's probably an option that would add thousands to the price. I'd want to keep my delivered price as close to $40 K as possible since even that's a lot of money for me. I spent about $30K on my current 2011 Prius including tax and an extended warranty. So I'd likely have to forego that; it's likely an option on higher trim levels and I'd be confined to the base Premiere trim level. I will also price comparable versions of the Ford Fusion Hybrid, the MKZ's fraternal twin; maybe I'll find a better deal there. I'm not as high on the Fusion's styling though and it's a less 'exclusive' car in my eyes than the upscale MKZ. One thing though is that the Fusion Hybrid gets 5 MPG more than the MKZ Hybrid in Consumer Reports' tests; that has to be mostly due to different tires tailored for ride comfort as opposed to low rolling resistance. I'll ask the dealer if its possible to do a swap of the standard MKZ tires for the ones on the Fusion at a nominal cost. If he says no, I'd likely later replace those standard MKZ tires when they're worn out with a set that has lower rolling resistance and then get an MPG boost. I won't rule out getting a Titanium trim level Ford Fusion Hybrid over the MKZ, especially at a slightly lower price. Thank you.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    TSS-P includes automatic cruise control; automatic braking to avoid accidents, and; lane following. The MKZ hybrid in 2012 had something similar BUT they did not follow Toyota's practice of gouging SAFETY!

I have the BMW equivalent in our newest car, a 2014, and am glad to have it. Rather than beating the spot that the dead horse was dragged away, go for the Ford equivalent. It completely changes your driving experience for the better.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

ps. Use EBay to find a best deal. Even flying to pickup the car you want is better than being chattel to the local dealer.

7. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, okay, if it fits in the budget plan I have in mind. Thanks for enlightening me!