1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking at my first Prius( 2006 ) opinions please

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sectradl, Aug 14, 2013.

1. sectradl

sectradl New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi;I've never owned a Prius before and enjoyed all the research I could find on Priuschat. I would appreciate any feedback from the community. Thanks in advance for your help! I'm looking for a third "winter use" vehicle and have my eye on a 2006 Prius being sold by a local solar panel business with the following history;

160,000 Miles
    full service history from new from Toyota dealer
    1 owner commercial vehicle
    transmission and HV battery pack replaced in last year ( confirmed by Toyota dealer)
    no outstanding recalls or recommended repairs outstanding
    Toyota Service Manager told me " they take good care of their vehicles"
    Cosmetically in rough condition but mechanically sound
    asking price 5600$

I was thinking 5000$ would be a fair price? I'm an experienced used car buyer, so all my research indicates this will be a good car for our family . I expect to put approx 6000 miles a year on it.( mainly winter driving with winter tires ). Thanks for you input Dave

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Dave Welcome to Prius Chat.
    The most expensive parts on the Prius in question have been replaced.
    The engines a pretty reliable but some do begin to use oil at that sort of millage. If you are prepared for this it is not a major problem as low millage engines I understand are available quite cheaply in the US.
    The cars are generally very reliable although minor items of repair must be expected as with any car. Possible engine water pump and wheel bearing.
    If you buy the car I would change the transmission fluid once it has reached 10,000 miles or more from the transmission change.
    In the UK I have not had any problems in winter weather with my Prius, but the gen2 Prius are not renown for use in deep snow and the cold also increases fuel consumption (still very good) so keep this in mind.
    As you do not put your location in your avatar it is difficult to know your expected weather or even if you are in the US.
    Hope this helps

John (Britprius)

sectradl and usnavystgc like this.
  3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    5600 for a Gen II Prius is really a good deal esp with dealer service from day 1. It must be very rough cosmetically for that price. If you can get it for 5G, that would be great.

The one thing I would advise you though, I don't know where you're at but the Prius is not a good snow car. For one thing, if you're gonna put winter tires on it and drive mainly in the winter, it won't get the 48/45 EPA mpg figures (maybe high 30's, low 40's). If you're ok with that, then by all means go for it.

I personally believe you will start out using it as a winter car and it will quickly become your #1 vehicle of choice to drive (that's kinda what happened to me).

Overall, it sounds like a great deal but, I can't see the car. Chances are, it will sell quickly at that price so, you might want to get over there and get it if you want it. I've seen numerous inquiries on here where people waited and lost the car. Prius' normally sell fast, $5k Prius' sell very fast. :)

sectradl likes this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you want a vehicle primarily for winter driving, I think a car or SUV with AWD or 4WD and winter tires would be much better.

You will need to keep a 12V charger or battery minder on the Prius 12V battery when it is not in use, as the battery will quickly discharge if the car sits unused for more than a couple of weeks.

The traction battery longevity also will not be enhanced if the car is only driven 3 months out of the year.

A Prius would be much more appropriate for situations where you are driving 20K-30K miles a year, not so much if you are driving 6K miles per year.

usnavystgc likes this.
  5. sectradl

sectradl New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Patrick. I was wondering about those issues myself. I'll probably go to a more conventional vehicle as it will sit unused for much of the year.