1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking at used Prius. Concerned about battery. Am I understanding how to recondition correctly?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Joeman200, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Joeman200

Joeman200 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm pretty set on buying a Prius (specifically under $4,000 and under 150K miles). I have been looking for a good deals on craigslist. They exist, but usually others beat me to the reply button. I'm one of those people that's willing to wait to grab a great deal. I also like getting hands-on and don't mind "trying" to fix problems myself. One of my concerns with purchasing a Prius (private party, used car dealer, anywhere) is that the traction battery will be aged and that it will fail within a few years of driving it. Because of that, before I purchase a Prius and potentially end up with a couple-thousand-dollar problem, I wanted to thoroughly research the issue. (I understand that it varies with each car and that there is no way to tell whether or not the battery will go bad at a given mileage.)

This forum is great (and youtube), but the information is all spread out. Because of that, I wanted to make sure I understood my options should my fears become a reality. The options are A) Replace the battery through the dealer with an OEM ($$$). B) Replace the battery through a reputable re-builder ($$). C) Repair the battery myself ($).

With repairing a battery myself, the ideal steps are:
    1.) Find the bad module(s) with a bluetooth OBDII reader and the torque app
    2.) Replace the bad module(s) with good ones (probably purchased form ebay)
    3a.) Balance all the modules manually with the correct RC chargers (and hopefully it will last a year or so before having to pull the battery out again as unlike option A, this solution isn't "permanent".)
    3b.) Balance all the modules with the battery back in the car using Prolong's reconditioning package or another in-car option. This option requiring me to invest a little bit more money (but not as much as option A), yet not having to deal with pulling the battery out again and again (unless another module fails).

Am I on the right path in understanding the battery correctly?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Lwerewolf

Lwerewolf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sooo, @ more senior members - correct me if I'm wrong.

If you go down the rebuild route, make sure that you research what the rebuilder does. Even then, a grid charge once every 6 months looks like good preventative maintenance.

Look up @2ktoaster's new batteries - looking pretty solid. Disadvantages IMO are 1) no long-term longevity proof (long-term as in 10 years, no reported issues thus far), 2) can't replace individual modules with regular prius ones if you have trouble. Dealer batteries are a bit more expensive, but there's no question what you're getting. CEBA batteries don't look like a good idea at all from what I've read.

1. There's torque, there's techsteam (get it, just get it, it's useful for so many things it's ridiculous), and there's "hybrid assistant" (HA). For hybrid assistant you'll need a nice OBDII bluetooth VIM ($80 approx). It has a semi-automated high voltage battery test that can give you a decent idea about the state of health of the battery. It basically graphs the modules' voltage rise and decline over an in-car battery drain and force charge. At-rest module voltage won't tell you much unless a cell has shorted out - then it's ~1.2v lower than the rest. If the car throws a code (P0A80) but all modules look fine, it should store freeze frame data for the error that you can retrieve via techstream. It'll list all monitored values at the time of the error being set - that's how I know that module 15 or 16 (or possibly both) are failing on my battery (gs450h, only during wide open throttle acceleration at unreasonably high speeds, and only every now and then... or if I floor it at a low state of charge or try to drain it in EV 'till the end - then it logs a pending and is fine on next powerup) - the car logs ~-1.2v lower on a particular pair of modules. At rest voltages are fine, so that probably means that a cell within a module has very low capacity compared to the others. Only way of fixing the module that I know of is rehydration - assuming the module is structurally sound (hasn't leaked). There's a thread about it here.

2. It's best if you find modules similar in capacity and internal resistance. This means measuring all your modules somehow... which means pulling the battery apart. By the time your battery throws a code (pending or otherwise), all your modules are usually in a varying state of health. The ones in the middle of the pack are usually worse off than the rest due to heat build-up, but the variances can be all over the place. A pro rebuilder should have a nice stock of modules to make a matching set of 28.
    My guess here is that if you have a module or two way below capacity, they will fail very fast as the car is cycling them across a larger capacity span than the others. At any rate, from what I've read it seems like cycling all the modules (the replacement(s) and the others) a few times down to whatever voltage you're not scared of (with interim balancing overchargers) and then balancing the pack is the DIY way to go... and then hope for the best.

3a. You will balance the cells in each individual module, but the modules won't be balanced together. You'll need to charge the battery as a whole for that. Now if you're talking about cycling, cycling individual modules seems better than using a whole-battery discharger - you're dealing with 6 cells at a time instead of 28*6.

3b. Prolong's system, DIY using LED drivers or whatever, plenty of ways. I went with Prolong's charger + intel discharger. There are guides on how to build your own grid charger for honda IMA batteries - if you understand them, you should be able to understand how to build your own for the target voltage. Prolong's charger adjusts charging rates according to battery SoC (and probably does other things better too) so the simple DIY charger isn't just cheaper in cost... well depends on what simple means I guess :)

Soooo, to sum up:

1) Get techstream and hybrid assistant - this means techstream-compatible VIM, and an HA-compatible VIM. Not necessary but both are very helpful. I'd get techstream first, as you can plot the HA data yourself with it (or with torque, for that matter).
    2) If you get a code but at-rest voltages are similar - check the freeze frame data for the code with techstream. You should have an outlier with low voltage there. Cycling the modules at that point might restore the pack to usable condition - anything from near-brand new to near-failing, probably with a bias to the better outcome.
    3) Buying rebuilds/refurbs doesn't seem to be recommended around here, high rate of failures. If you can get somebody to do the proper things, consider the price and go ahead. A new battery from Toyota is probably the best bet, 2ktoaster's packs seem to be as good (and so far proven to be the same, performance-wise, longevity unknown due to age of deployments), and a bit cheaper. Look up the prices and decide. Main differences - module format, can't mix and match.
    4) If you're rebuilding - cycle your modules multiple times to recover lost capacity, balance the pack as a whole as otherwise modules can drift out of balance (unless you can balance all of them at about the same time ^_^). Matching modules to make a pack is preferable, but usually unfeasible for a DIY repair.
    5) Maintain using periodic balancing (say twice a year). Not sure about cycling maintenance frequency.

Bah, I hope I'm not forgetting anything.

Joeman200 and SFO like this.
  3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The short answer is just to save money toward a new Toyota battery pack. That is the most proven method to get another 10+ years out of a battery. Prolong seems to add time but 10 years? If you can install it yourself it’s not as expensive as it seems. When your battery finally does go you just sell the used system here and recoup over 50% of the original price.

Have you thought about buying a Prius with a bad battery pack going in and just replacing it with a new one? You can find dealers that will sell you one for under 2000 and most people cant replace them themselves. Might be a little over 4000 total but you would have a battery that would go at least another 10 years.

#3 Skibob, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Joe,

Find yourself a decent Gen 2 that has a failed battery. Then look me up. I wouldn't be all that concerned about trying to find one with a certain mileage as I would be about finding one with a good body, good interior and some maintenance history. Deals are out there, sometimes it just takes a bit of patience. You should be able to get a good one for 1k-1.5k max.

pashko90, Joeman200, Skibob and 2 others like this.
  5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Orrr... Skip it and spend less money for a much lower mile, or much newer, Corolla, Fit, Matrix, Civic, Etc.

No worries about replacing a hybrid battery ever.

This is coming from a guy who fixes Prius for a living.

But if you decide to roll the dice on a used Prius....
    In additoon to the other great info others have provided, since you are $$ conscious, why not build your own whole-pack charger? Cost you under $100.

If you are really cheap you can skip balancing the pack. Just make sure the random module throw in is at least close in voltage to the existing ones.

You may have to go in there quarterly (maybeore often?) to swap in a module or fuss with things, and it won't be reliable, but it will be cheap. Really cheao, so maybe it is worth it? Only you can decide.Keep messing with it as long as it is fun for you.

Feel free to call if you want to chat about your ideas.

Joeman200 likes this.
  6. gtstang88

gtstang88 Junior Member

How do you build a whole pack charger?

Joeman200 and Skibob like this.
  7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I like skibob's suggestion best. Find one where the traction pack is known to be failing and also proven to be the only significant problem on the car.

Get that car cheap, put a brand new Toyota pack in it and enjoy it for 10 years.

8. Joeman200

Joeman200 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you everyone for your replies!

Raytheeagle likes this.