1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for a few answers before I buy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by greenatheart, Feb 10, 2007.

1. greenatheart

greenatheart New Member

I am seriously considering buying a Prius, and I just took one for a nice test-drive. However, I have a few questions before I make my final decision. 1. The car I drove seemed to struggle a little on a couple of hills. Have others had similar experiences or did this happen because I was driving the car for the first time? 2. My second question is similar. When I was on the freeway, it seemed hard to keep the car travelling smoothly at one speed. Is this a problem others have or was this also an effect of my inexperience? 3. Finally, has anyone experienced any trouble with the equipment that regulates whether the car uses electricity or gas? If so, how many miles were on your Prius at the time? Did your warranty still cover it? If no on the warranty, how much did it cost you to fix the problem? I appreciate any help you might be able to give. I only ask that you don't try to "sell" me on the Prius. I know it is a great car for the environment, and I want to do my part. However, if I don't get a Prius, I will simply move to a place where I don't have to commute to work, so you needn't worry about my impact on the environment if I don't get this car. Thanks.

2. pviebey

pviebey New Member

Well, my wife wanted one, so we bought one. I drove hers, liked it so much, we now have 2. I might add that they replaced MBenz, so we had pretty high expectations.

I don't have many hills in FL, but have never seen any problems, and not seen any problems accelerating to freeway, passing, etc. Haven't had any trouble travelling either. Not seen a problem with cruise (there are actually some driving 'tricks' you learn that help mileage if you play them). Also, I came from a car with a zero to 60 in 4.9 seconds, and while the Prius doesn't have the tendecy to scare me if I get froggy, I've also never had it put me in a bad spot becuase of a lack of acceleration. It's even amazing fast off a stop (battery...), but you ain't gonna race in a Prius <grin>....

I have a weird way of describing the Prius to folks. Image a car that has a hatchback with rear seats that fold down (handy for moving stuff), very comfortably fit for 4/5 folks, comfortable for larger size folks (we qualify), legendary Toyota quality, AND it gets right at (realistic, without trying) 50 MPG. The fact it's a 'hyrid' is actually irrelevant, unless you care...

I have yet to find something I really dislike. And, I'm a techie, so I dig the HID, bluetooth, nav, voice, XM etc.

There is some stuff that bugs me (like, why are the seats unadjustable?, why is there no way to turn on just the foglights?)

Some folks think it's ugly. I don't think so (but I also replaced that antenna whip, because I think it is).

It's also amazing easy to work on (installed XM in both my wifes car and mine, replaced the 'tinny' horn 'cause yeah, that I didn't dislike).

I haven't had any technical issues with either vehicle, other than my wife losing a fob (expensive!), and me breaking the driver side glass (also expensive). Not a single technical issue.

We've got a combined 55K, her's is an 05, mine is an 06.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gettinggreener @ Feb 10 2007, 07:37 PM) [snapback]388234[/snapback]</div>
    Good for you on deciding to at least consider the Prius. Don't misinterpret the higher reving of the ICE (internal combustion engine) as "struggling"...I think you'll find that this car will pull hills as well as or better than most other cars thanks to the torque of the electric motors. But, because it doesn't have a traditional transmission the ICE will spin at fairly high RPMs to facilitate the power needed. Some folks have drained the battery fairly low on very tall steep mountain climbs and noted a loss of power for climbing, but that will only be an issue on very tall steep mountains, not typical hills and mountains.
    I don't understand what you mean....again, if you're judging by the sound of the ICE then it can throw you off. But I've never noticed any difficulty traveling smoothly on the freeway...set the cruise and she'll go about as fast as you want and sustain it all day long.
    Do you mean the transaxle or the HV ECU? While there've been scattered rare reports of someone's battery having a problem (usually a single bad cell), a bad ECU, or other minor issues, there are definately no widespread or recurring issues with any of the major components of the hybrid system. The first year models had some 'growing pains' with the fuel guage, MFD, a couple of recalls to fine tune some programming problems, but those have been pretty well worked out and addressed at this point.

Finally, you're asking too much for us to not try to sell you on a Prius...we're fanatics here and feel that this car is something special. I think almost all of us had our anxiety and concern about how it would perform, or how long it would last, or if it would do what Toyota claimed. I think the vast majority of us feel it has and will continue to exceed our hopes at many levels.

4. toad

toad New Member

We just got our prius in late Dec and we've loved it. I haven't had any of the problems that you have had and I think the performance of the Prius has been very good. I've had no problems accelerating when I needed to and I've never felt unsafe getting onto the freeway. In fact, the Prius is safer with the side head air bags.

I would say that moving closer to work so you don't have to commute would probably have more of an impact than getting the prius. That's what my wife and I did. We use to ride our bike or driving a car the 2 miles to catch the express bus and ride the bus for 20 minutes. Now, we walk the 10 minutes to get to our work. I think that has made more of an impact than buying the Prius. I always felt "guilty" about having to drive our other car which wasn't that bad to begin with, about 28-32 mpg. Now we get about 45-50 mpg. Better, but not perfect. I still feel "guilty" about driving the Prius because I am still polluting, but we all make the small differences that add up.

I hope that helps.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gettinggreener @ Feb 10 2007, 05:37 PM) [snapback]388234[/snapback]</div>
    I have never had a problem with a loss of power going up steep grades. I regularly go up the Sepulveda pass on I-405, I have gone up the Conejo grade (5%) at speed of 70-75 mph, without slowing down, and did not exhaust the battery charge or the power that it provides going up to the Tejon Pass (4183 ft.) on the Grapevine or from the Los Angeles side.

6. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gettinggreener @ Feb 10 2007, 08:37 PM) [snapback]388234[/snapback]</div>
    Just to echo what efusco said, you might have misjudged the true power because the CVT will cause the car to rev higher and not drop into a lower gear on a steep climb. I don't think it has any less power than a typical 4 cylinder car. Actually with it loaded up it has climbed hills better than most.

I have never seen this as a problem. Of course variations of 1-2 mph is much more noticeable with a digital speedometer than with a needle. You will probably pay closer attention to that speedometer in the Prius than you would another car too and really get a feel for the pedal. I know that is the case with me.

I can't speak for others but I have never read or heard of an issue with this (other than the fact that an EV switch isn't standard equipment yet ;)). Seriously, I wouldn't put much weight into this while making your decision.

We did the same thing in '04 when we accepted that we couldn't budget for a Prius at the time. However that decision was as much for my sanity as it was for the environment. Our rent went up but we were still saving a lot on gas. Heck, I love my Prius and would be happy to convert you to One Of Us but if you can move someplace that you don't need to drive at all that is a much better option all around IMO.

7. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gettinggreener @ Feb 10 2007, 09:37 PM) [snapback]388234[/snapback]</div>

Everyone has given some pretty good answers here, but I wanted to add a thought to this question. The prius is very smooth, which makes it difficult to "feel" your speed, at least at first. It also has a very sensitive pedal, so first time users may over compensate. The combo of these two is likely what you noticed on the highway. In my case, the "adjustment period" lasted about a couple of days, then it was like the car and I were made for each other.

Also, the car occasionally uses only electricity, and never uses only gas (though it may not always draw from or add to the battery). It cleverly combines the two in such a way as to optimise fuel comsumption from moment to moment. This system has proven to be very stable and hardy. Even if it should have a problem, Toyota is very good about honoring their warrenty.

8. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mine is 2 months old. Never had any of the symptoms you're noticing.

9. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    About that constant speed thing: I live in a very hilly area, so I have noticed that on the highway it is hard to keep a constant speed without cruise control. Especially since when you're going downhill, the regenerative breaking kicks in and you actually lose speed if you don't press on the accelerator. However, if you use the cruise control, this is not a problem.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gettinggreener @ Feb 10 2007, 09:37 PM) [snapback]388234[/snapback]</div>
    Don't get a Prius. It's a good car, as far as cars go, but if you can do without one, then you should. You'll be doing far more for the environment than any of us smug car owners, present company included. :)

11. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As for going uphill you may have been (perhaps subconsciously) alarmed by the engine noise. Prius engine RPMs are not a simple function of road speed. It's perfectly normal for the engine to roar going up a steep hill because the engine is providing the power required. This is harmless. The computers will not allow the engine to over-rev. After the initial 600 mile easy-does-it break-in period, just floor the gas pedal when necessary and don't worry about it.

The Prius is an excellent car, but it's still a car. If you have the option of moving closer to work and using public or shared transport then you should certainly do that instead of buying any car.

12. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was in Utah when I got my new '06 Prius, I did notice the engine rev effect going over the mountain pass from Brigham City to Logan where you could hear the engine reving up but you're still going slower, and of course with the Prius still being brand new I was trying to go very easy on it so instead of doing about 60 or whatever the speed is I was doing more like 45. I'm sure that wouldn't have been a problem at all, and it's a very steep grade but I was trying to go easy on it for at least a few thousand miles. My sister drove the Prius following me down to Texas where I am now, and she kept up just fine on the steep grades around Moab, UT and she never complained, she said she loved driving it. Now that I'm in Texas there is rarely anything more than a small hill which isn't a problem at all. I think it just takes some getting used to, and of course you should break a car in nice and easy.