1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for a good digital tire pressure gauge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Aaron, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Looking for a good quality digital tire pressure gauge. Possibly something I can order online. WalMart didn't have anything I was interested in. I did a search on the forums and couldn't come up with anything significant.

Thanks

2. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I own one of these and it's great. Accurate (shows to one decimal) and provides a very good seal to the tire valve. You can program your desired settings for both the front and back tires. I bought mine a few month ago for $9.99 (when regular price was $35). I see they dropped their regular price to $20.
    Canadian Tire

3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We picked up a good one at Sears. Wasn't that pricey, and works very well.

4. birdsquared

birdsquared New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have the analogue version found here, and am extremely pleased with it, and I am sure the digital version is also high-quality. It's a real boon to be able to add air without having to remove the gauge, and get an instant readout after the filling ends.

Tire gauges

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    While I admire the more-expensive tire gauges, a basic $10 digital served me very well since 2001. I suggest considering these, if only because it could get more people to have (and use!) tire gauges. Very important.

Peter Blackford in the yahoo toyota Prius group recently reiterated his offer to calibrate pressure gauges for any Prius owners, for the cost of return postage. He is in s. Florida, and hope that he does not mind me mentioning his offer here!

I don't know what he uses as a standard, but my cheapo gauge tested within a psi way back when. Not all will test that well, but if you know the calibration, that's plenty good enough.

6. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I really like my Tire Minder TMG-340 from Pep Boys. Cost $15:

Digital Pressure Gauge
    TMG-340-39
    • 2 - 100 psi
    • Saves Gas
    • Red LED Backlight
    • Replaceable Battery
    • Auto Buzzer
    • Auto Off
    See included pic.

Attached Files:

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In another tire pressure gauge thread, 1fixitman had some interesting things to say about gauges, mainly that the accuracy of the digital gauges he tested on a calibrator tended to fluctuate with the temperature of the gauge:

I would add to his comments that generally it's better to get a gauge with the lowest maximum pressure that would accomodate the highest pressures you will be measuring. E.g., if you will be using the gauge to only measure car tire pressure, then all other things being equal, a gauge that measures between 0-60 psi will be more accurate than one that measures between 0-160 psi.

Personally, I use the Accu-Gage brand that he mentioned and that Birdsquared also mentioned and linked above. I use one of Accu-Gage's "Professional Series" analogue models that measures 0-60 psi in 1 pound increments, with a release valve and swivel chuck (cost ~ $15).

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Accutire, $7 at Amazon. In a few comparisons with a gas station air pump gauge they always agreed.

9. partipilo

partipilo Weirdo

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I got a cheapie from Advance Auto Parts, formerly Discount Auto Parts, a year ago, runs on lr44 batteries. blue backlight on the lcd and illumination, works great, probably costed 10 usd.