1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for a Job...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Rxmxsh, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Guys and Gals -

I inadvertently broke a policy at my job, and as a result was laid off. It's a long story, but basically I'm looking for a job and quick. I was thinking about hitting Tustin Toyota or another dealership, but I'd like to get something a little more permanent. I have managerial experience, sales, banking, and retail experience.

I reside in Irvine, Ca... Any helpers out there? ;)

2. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

indeed.com

3. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks. Anyone else? I am already on monster, career, and craigs list.

4. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    anyone else?

5. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Any one else? Buler, Buler? ;)

6. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rxmxsh @ Jul 12 2007, 07:27 PM) [snapback]477881[/snapback]</div>
    You were a car salesman, right?
    What policy did you break... told the truth?

(one of our twins did a short stint as a car salesman... quit because they kept getting all over his case for telling the truth, and not trying hard enough to "deflect" questions that would make the car look less desireable)

7. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I was not a car salesman. I was an operations manager that worked for a collectible company...

8. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So what is your skillset?

9. ohershey

ohershey New Member

I used to teach classes in interviewing and resume writing - I'd be happy to make lots of brutal comments on how to improve your resume if you send it to me.

10. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel like you should tell us a bit more about yourself, before anyone might be able to offer any real assistance.

What is it that *you'd* like to be doing?
    :)

You'd mentioned that you're looking for something more permanent...in that case, I'd guess that most employers tend to want someone who has an interest --or even a passion-- for the business they're in.

Also --and don't take this the wrong way-- but it is a bit of a question mark, as to what policy you broke inadvertently. And...I'm confused...were you fired or laid off? There is a difference.

Come to think of it, you might not want to even mention that again if "why are you no longer with your former employer" ever comes up again.

But, now that you *have* mentioned, it, clarifying what happened might be the next step.

11. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    To add to what Pinto said, All those websites you stated you're already on generally require a CV to get anything back from an employer... Why not post yours here too? It's pretty darned hard for any potential employer to be interested in you based on a single paragraph with 4 short sentences. Not to be mean, but the initial impression from those sentences (each sentence in order) for a potential employer would be:
    1. Breaks the rules.
    2. Wants a job, doesn't care what it is.
    3. Wants something more long term than a car salesman
    4. Has a small variety of experience, but doesn't list any scope. was the managerial experience overseeing a workshift at McDonalds, or running a project group for something a little tougher? Was the sales simple retail sales at Abercrombie when in high school, or something better, like selling medical devices to hospitals and doctors?

Hopefully you can see that you haven't really given anyone here anything to work with...

12. jmp470

jmp470 New Member

I have over 14 years in the military and I'm getting out on the 31st of Dec of this year. If you are all willing to help me find a job that would be great. As for the resume help, please do so. Shoot as many holes as you can!! That way, I can perfect it. Mad Hatter that was directed towards you.

13. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Were you a US Attorney?

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmp470 @ Jul 13 2007, 02:43 PM) [snapback]478293[/snapback]</div>
    It's been a while since I've written a resume. I've updated mine but kept the original format.

The first thing that strikes me. It's three pages long. I was taught it's best to keep it to one page as readers rarely flip it over to the back when they have a stack to get through. I know that's hard. Consider removing what could be covered in an interview and keep the essentials that will get you noticed.

(I was also told to have it done on a colored paper (neutral or pastel) because they would remember the color and it could be easily found in a stack. I was also told to use a good quality paper and an offset printer rather than using cheap Office Depot paper and running it off on my own home printer.)

I would put Education and Professional Development first and I'd lose that first brag paragraph. I'd also lose everything in italics. That is something you can cover in an interview. I'd then try to condense the rest to absolute essentials to get it on one side of a page. Consider reducing the font and shrinking the margins if you must.

Those are just my thoughts on looking at it, but as I say....I'm not up to date on the latest resume strategies.

Attached Files:

15. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Having taken a course in resume writing just a few years ago (required for school... ugh), Godiva's comments are pretty much on the mark. As time goes on, resumes do tend to get longer, and a CEO with 25 years experience will probably have multiple pages. However yours should still be able to fit on one page.

Most of your problem with length comes from attempting to write things in full paragraphs and fully explain everything. Remember, a resume is supposed to get you noticed, not explain your life story. That'll happen in the interview :)

Keep things short, don't go into nearly as much detail. That first "brag" portion as Godiva called it shouldn't be in the Resume - it should be in the cover letter you send along with your resume. The cover letter is typically 1-3 paragraphs long and expands on why you would be a good fit for the job you're applying for. It's generally not something you can use over and over again, as it has to be tailored for each company and job position you're applying for.

Anyways, here are some examples of how my resume is worded to help you get started:

One job as a webmaster:
    Thats all that i really need to say about that in a resume - it gives a good overview of what i was responsible for in the job, and provides them enough information so they can ask intelligent questions.

From my current job:
    Tells them the type of system i'm working on, what my responsibilities are, as well as some of my results.

Anyways, hope that helps!

16. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Technically, your resume should change depending on who you send it to.

For tech resumes:
    I peruse resumes regularly, but I am usually looking for experience with one particular piece of software, and I don't want to read through paragraph long description of 5 different positions held to find it. Hence, I really find helpful, the resumes that have a section at the end listing the software they have used (NOT Windows, excel, Word(DUH!)), but SAP, JDE, Biztalk, GIS. The things I care about.

17. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmp470 @ Jul 13 2007, 12:43 PM) [snapback]478293[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I have a good job for you.

STAY IN!!!! :blink:

Five years for a half-pay retirement . . . which is calculated off your (possibly higher) pay grade five years from now - with automatic COLA increases. Medical coverage, PX and base access privileges, and nearly free Space-Available travel world wide.

Presently you have earned over 35% of your pay as a retirement. If you get out now it goes away . . . unless you go reserves . . . but then it is delayed till age 60.

Seriously think twice. Five years from now you may be stuck in a dead-end civilian job and kicking yourself in the butt for not sticking it out.

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jul 13 2007, 11:06 PM) [snapback]478489[/snapback]</div>
    He may not have a choice.

19. ohershey

ohershey New Member

Having taught courses in resume writing and Interviewing, I have to say that this one really isn't bad. Remember, the resume serves two purposes - first it gets you an interview, and second it guides and shapes the interview in the directions you want it to go. If this one has a weekness, it is that there is too much, and an employer may find it intimidating.

While it is true that a resume should be two pages, I would not trim this one down to get there. I would consider this a "Master" resume. What you want to do is use this document to generate a focused resume for whatever postion you are actually applying for. By this I mean that you try to tailor the resume you send in for a position to highlight the specific skills and experience that you think most match those that the prospective employer need, maybe trimming some detail in the areas less useful for that specific position.

The second thing to look at in the resume is the ability to guide the interview once you get it. You want to build the details of the work history in such a way that it will trigger interview questions that you want. I will take a look at this in more detail, and PM some suggestions. Finalizing this will be on your shoulders, though, as only you know your background well enough to flesh these out.

While many resume writing professionals suggest using the PARS (Problem Action Resolution Skills) system to fill in details on the resume, my philosophy is slightly hybridized from that. While I agree that a PARS scenario is absolutly the best type of real-world data to get in front of an employer, I think that your resume should have just enough information in it to get an employer to ask an interview question which relates to a PARS story you have already worked out in advance.

It's too late tonight to do a detailed review - I'll try take a look over the weekend and see what I can come up with. :)

20. Brian04

Brian04 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 13 2007, 03:07 PM) [snapback]478303[/snapback]</div>

Godiva, I like some of the adjustments to the format, but (for everyone out there), if you use MS Word, and send the resume in a .doc format, BE SURE to "accept all changes" in the document before sending it in!

This option can be found on the reviewing toolbar. It is the icon with a check mark - use the drop down menu and select "accept all changes in document".

This goes for any posting on the web as well.

Word's 'track changes' function is evil. PDF is probably better for emailing or posting your resume or other docs.