1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for a used Gen 2 but I am finding lots of low mpgs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ChrisPR77, Jan 1, 2017.

1. ChrisPR77

ChrisPR77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am posting here as a last resort for a bunch of info that doesn't seem to add up. I became interested in Generation 2 Prius because I found out I can pick one up for 5000$ with around 100k miles. Seems like a good deal and should be able to get that second 100k miles pretty easy. What I am running into real world here is low mpgs.

I live in Los Angeles and it is December. I have looked at a handful of these cars now. What I am seeing is that the sellers on clist are primarily dealers. I got one piece of advice and that was to buy from the original owner. I am not sure that is going to be possible around here but it is a thought. The real problem that got my head spun is not really buying or not buying from a dealer and have not been so concerned with that.

The sellers are not taking pictures of their trip monitor on the add. So there forth when I get to the car the trip monitor has been reset or it has a low value on it. I am seeing numbers like 38, 39, 40, 41. The best I have seen was 45 for 180 miles. I felt that car was a little rattly on test drive. A guy online told me he could get 47 out of any old prius as long as windows up and plugs changed. So why not go hypermile the car somewhere or something before you go sell it, take some pics, anyway a decent recorded mpg upon sale seems like it should be the norm not the un-norm?

I have studied some mpg tips since looking for a prius and tried them on my old civic and they work. I know the prius doesn't do it all on its own. However, I expected Prius drivers to be more in tune with the topic and I don't understand why they aren't. I mean I would love to find the Prius guru to show me the ropes who has taken good care of the car and looked for mpg tips along the way. I am not sure that is going to happen here in Los Angeles. It looks like if I want one of these in this price range I am going to have to buy it and fix it up. Or at least invest in a tune up.

I spoke with the dealership and they said to bring it in for a inspection ~150$ Then they said they could do an mpg tune up that would include throttle body and fuel injector cleaning ~500$. Also spoke with an independent Japanese mechanic who stated would like to see 45 +or- 3 as a general rule of thumb for mpg.

My question is what is going on with these cars? Why can't I find a single one that has a good mpg? Should I wait out until I do find the prius guru which surprisingly might take a long time or go with getting a dealer inspection and appropriate 100k mileage tune up?

Thanks for anyone's time.

#1 ChrisPR77, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome, Chris. I'm not sure if you've watched how the people around you drive, but here in the Tampa area, I've noticed that Prii do the jack rabbit starts and wait till the last moment to brake about like other drivers. There are not all that many Prius owners who make any effort to get the most out of their vehicles. It's all about seeing who can get to the red light quickest and wait the longest.

So, I would expect that a used Prius with a respectable mpg on display would be the exception rather than the rule. The only way to really know might be to take it for a test drive that's at least 15-20 minutes long and see for yourself. You'll need to get it warmed up (as with any other vehicle) before you know how efficient it is.

And for point of reference, I recently tuned up my 150,000 mile 2005. Put in new spark plugs; one looked very worn. New pcv valve. Cleaned the throttle body. And a new serpentine belt. I think that gave me about a 2 mpg improvement. I didn't do an injector cleaning because I don't think they help. So it looks to me like Prii are pretty forgiving of tuneup issues.

Car shopping can be a ton of fun, or a real pain depending on what you find. Hope you have fun.

Chodronish, srellim234 and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    agree with jerry^^^ and the japanese mechanic. a lot of people average around 45 mpg's, so if you're hoping for more, you'll have to drive reasonably and go through the car, looking at all the systems to make sure they are working properly.

tyres and pressure are important, and a lot of people are clueless about that. but you're better off buying from a clueless ownr, than someone who purposefully ran the mpg's up for a one time picture.

a car with full service history would be a big plus, and at 100,000 miles, you will have a major service coming at 120k.
    i wouldn't bother paying the dealer for anything but the inspection. all the best!(y)

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Most dealership test drives are very short so the car spends a majority of its time in warmup mode which burns more gas. Also, sales people typically spend a lot of time showing the customer all the bells and whistles of the car while it's idling in the parking lot before the drive; again another serious MPG killer.

5. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The expectation that a used Prius should show higher mpg is unrealistic. You don't know how the car was broken in the first 10k miles. You don't know those fine details of how the car was cared for. You may only have a good repair record. Fotomoto is correct on the reasons why a lot of screens will show an mpg under 40.

Most importantly, the average 2nd generation Prius only gets 43-44 mpg overall and not the numbers you want to see. Take a look at fueleconomy.gov and fuelly.com to see what the average person is getting. You might get more out of it but don't expect that everyone does.

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    With any modern car break in doesn’t really matter that much.

I did get better than 3.9l/100km or 61MPG (actual calculated value) at every fill up at this summer. And I’m sure that I could do that with every Prius gen 2 that has good HV-battery, engine that does not consume lots of oil, nothing is broken, and have good tires.

Tires have a big effect in fuel economy. Something like 0.7l/100km between different tires on Prius. With US MPG system better fuel economy you get bigger the difference gets. At 40MPG that would be about 5MPG difference. But at 60MPG it would be a difference of 13MPG.

But like others have said biggest thing is how and where you drive.

7. ChrisPR77

ChrisPR77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If we look a Fuelly there is quite a broad range with the overall avg about 44. If you flip through there are a lot of cars in the 50s. So why do I not see this in real life? I have read no articles what so ever that these old Prius are not properly maintained. All you read about is the damn battery which isn't supposed to be as much of an issue with repairs getting as low as 300$. What kind of a bummer would it be to get an under performing Prius or to have one already for that matter. It just doesn't make sense because these are Prius drivers. I think seeing low numbers in the trip monitor does tell me the car was less maintained and cared for. I was a bit long winded in my original post. What I am getting at here is are these cars worth my time or should I hold out until a properly maintained one comes along? Which honestly looks like it might take a long while. I read nothing about this happening in LA its at least 9 out of 10 gen 2 prius that are under performing under maintained.

8. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't see how you can assume it was poorly maintained because the graph shows below average fuel economy. As with any car or motorcycle, those economy numbers are far more likely to be indications of how it was driven than how it was maintained. As others have stated, test drives will not show what it's capable of unless it's a really long test drive. Drive it 100 miles and see what you get. Drive it 10 miles and you'll get really low numbers just as with any vehicle

Chodronish and bisco like this.
  9. ChrisPR77

ChrisPR77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't see how doing a 100 mile test drive would be feasible. What is wrong with the owner having a good trip prerecorded? They are selling the car. You wash and clean it before you sell it. So you present your car with a 50 mi trip with 38 mpg. Sorry not impressed with the presentation. I think that is an indicator in it self of how the vehicle was not treated as an mpg vehicle. tired of hearing of how america has to beat the red line or whatever some commented on. Dont expect it from prius drivers and even at that why would you want that prius? I guess I am really answering my own question. I don't want a Prius that can't produce a prerecorded mpg chart that is decent. However, from my month and a half looking I can't find one. If I give up and take one that I think is overall tight otherwise to the dealer for inspection do you think I would be okay?

10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That sounds like a good idea. It would seem that people who are selling their used Prii could do a much better job of presentation. If you're not getting it from a dealer you really trust, checking it out with Techstream software & and OBDI cable to find out how the HV battery is and looking for codes would be a good idea as well as the usual inspection of brakes, oil leaks, etc. That might tell you a lot more than a picture of an impressive MPG chart, anyway. A service record can help, but isn't the total picture, nor is it always available.

11. ChrisPR77

ChrisPR77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Jerry, Unfortunately I think your original comment is happening. That being that the car search is turning into a real pain and taking longer than I anticipated. Further I didn't anticipate this at all among Prius drivers as they tend to be trending educated and are pretty sjw about their gas. I guess I am going to proceed with caution. If a guy can produce a solid mpg trip with service records then I would get it inspected and buy it immediately (needle in a smart hay stack). Otherwise I will just pick one that seems solid have it inspected and plan to invest something into getting the mpg up as long as dealer is reasonable on solution go with that.

12. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As long as the Prius you end up getting has good HV-battery, engine that does not consume lots of oil, nothing is broken, and have good tires your fuel economy just depends on how you drive.

Since you need to replace tires anyway at some point they shouldn’t be the deciding factor.

So in the end you can buy used Prius like any other used car. And not concentrate on fuel economy that previous owner or car dealership gets.

13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Chris I think you're getting close to "paralysis by (over) analysis" on this "mpg record" thing. o_O

Do this: start the car and let it "idle" while you check things out. It will get to minimum warm up and stop running. At that point, get in and floor the gas pedal. Don't worry, this is what's referred to as a forced charge and the engine will run at a safe speed while charging up the battery. Do this until the battery screen is full of blue bars and/or the engine stops running. Now without turning it off reset the MPG screen and go for a good 15-20 mile drive around town; don't drive fast or slow.

Check the tires. Many folks don't realize it comes with LRR (low rolling resistance) tires and just slap on the cheapest things they can find. These will kill as much as 5mpg or more so take that into account if they are installed. Low tire pressures are also very common and will sap MPG's.

Finally, these gen 2 HV batteries are getting old and tired and contribute less energy to the electric motors so the gas engine has to make up for it.

GOOD LUCK!

Chodronish likes this.
  14. ChrisPR77

ChrisPR77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Foto: I agree with the over analysis, but what you wrote complicates more. I think a gen 2 with 100k for 5000$ might have been a little too good to be true. Now I am thinking of backing out of the whole deal unless I can find a seller who actually knows what they are talking about and can provide a good mpg trip with service records. I am not in this investment to pick up someone's problem. I don't think providing a good mpg trip and service is asking too much.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can learn everything you need to know on a 15 mile test drive.

16. ChrisPR77

ChrisPR77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just called on a 05 and asked them to take a picture of their latest trip. They are supposed to be the 2nd owner of 2 years. This person couldn't even get into the mpg screen display because they didn't know how to do it! So I told them to forget it. I was told i was an anal prick asking stupid questions. I already know under avg mpg is at least a $500 tune up at the dealer.

17. ChrisPR77

ChrisPR77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had another idea today. I wasn't looking to buy a salvaged title car. However what is the real danger in doing so? The reason I ask is maybe some of them have been gone through mechanically..Would it be possible that I wouldn't find these under performing mpgs in the salvage cars?

18. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Buying salvage cars is tricky because you don't know exactly what happened to it, how thoroughly it was diagnosed after the accident, or what was fixed on it. I've bought one salvage car before, and I ended up spending far more on it in the long run than I expected. Unless you're a mechanic, I wouldn't risk it.

Chodronish likes this.
  19. ChrisPR77

ChrisPR77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi MRA. I see you are posting a 40.0mpg on Fuelly. I am curious going by the 45+/-3 rule. I would have to say you are the specific under average mpg car that I have been writing about all day. Why does your car only get 40 mpg? I can't say you are not trying as you participate on Fuelly and Prius chat. Thanks.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think a salvage vehicle would be perfect for you.(y)