1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for a used Prius. Need help on what to look for.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by EkS, Nov 21, 2010.

1. EkS

EkS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well i'm looking for a used Prius. But when looking what should I ask or look for? Like what should have been replaced with a Prius that has around 80k miles? I'm mainly looking for a 2006+. Any problems that are particular to certain years?

Thanks for any advice. Hope to be a Prius owner soon. :D

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You might want to inquire into the specific vehicle's service history. The toyota.com website has the maintenance schedule for all models including Prius so you can see what is required at 60K miles (a "major" service) as well as at other mileage intervals. Nothing necessarily has to have been replaced at 80K miles beyond what you'll see in the maintenance schedule (primarily periodic engine oil and oil/air filter changes).

2004-2005 may have problems with the MFD, due to a bad solder connection within. In areas with high ambient temps, you may notice that the dark grey plastic LED brake light area of the rear exterior lights shows sagging within the plastic interior. The inverter coolant pump is a known trouble area. There were a number of SSCs (special service campaign, aka recall) that need to be applied, such as intermediate steering shaft replacement and engine/hybrid vehicle ECU firmware reflash.

2006-2007 may have problems with HID headlights. Supposedly the inverter coolant pump has an improved design, however you'll still see complaints of pump failures from owners of newer model year Prius.

4. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

In CA where you are, the pink slip and reg. are good to see. It tells if the car is one owner, where the party lived, and the initial mileage if one owner. It also will tell if it has been salvaged. A clean CA car from a dry area is a positive all over the car sales world, seems obvious I know. I bought a used van with very high mileage and was surprised the CA pink showed an original local owner, the car had 23 miles at delivery. Since they paid about 32k for the van new, it is more likely it had some care. Just my 2 c.

5. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When looking for a used car, I look at the owner.

Is he/she the first owner? Does the owner looks like he would cheap on maintenance? What is his/her house like? Neighborhood?
    What is the reason for selling the car?
    Is owner ready to give his/her home address for you to come look at the car (means he has nothing to be afraid of if the buyer knows his/her home address) or suggests to meet at the gas station?
    Able to answer questions about maintenance? Has a decent technical knowledge about cars?

As for 80 k miles probably nothing should be replaced beside regular oil changes, tires & air filter, except maybe a 12V battery and transmission fluid.

Thanks,
    - Alex

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pay a tech at a different Toyota dealer to thoroughly inspect the car before buying. As with every modern car so much hard-to-find stuff can be wrong with one it'll make you ill.

7. imOCD4a_prius

imOCD4a_prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the above advise. It sure makes sence, now to find a tech who won't want a body part as payment.