1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for all the Prii Gurus - New Issue?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by crash0099, Apr 9, 2011.

1. crash0099

crash0099 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My new dilemma is, I am in a wheelchair (rigid frame, not a folder). To load my chair in to the car, I have to recline the drivers seat to a degree and lean the back of the passengers seat forward. I then pull off the rear wheels of the chair and set the frame in the back seat. Now going from a 2 door to 2004 BMW M3 to a 2011 Prius (with 4 doors) has 3 issues. One I can't change and hopefully the other 2 I can.

First issue is 2 door to 4 door. Doors are smaller so I have to be careful seeing as I am 6' 3" tall, I don't hit the pillar for the door. Can't do anything about this.

The reason I need the Prii Gurus is this... The passenger seat recline mechanism allows it to lay back all the way but it does not allow it to lean forward like a 2 door car does to allow access to the back seat. The reason I need the seat to lean farther forward is to be able to pass the frame of the wheelchair in to the back seat quicker and easier.... A) so my girlfriend does not have to stand out in the cold or rain. B) so I don't drag the frame of the chair against the back of the seat (which is cloth) and get it dirty or greasy. Icing on the cake (IDEALLY) would be to have one handle like the M3 which would slide the seat all the way forward and tilt the back of the seat all the way forward with one pull. I believe this would take a complete frame and seat from a 2 door car but would it match up with the mounting holes of the Prius.

C) I need hand controls to drive, for gas and brake. Now I have installed the controls on the M3 myself but there was no Knee Airbag. I want the install to be clean and unobtrusive. On the M3 there was a panel under the steering column that I just left off and the hand controls I mounted to where the steering column bolted to the car. I also want to make it as clean as possible so my girlfriends knees do not hit the hand controls. She is 5" even with short legs and has to pull the seat all the way forward. On the M3 she had to be careful not to hit her knees. Can I remove the Knee airbag with out it upsetting any OBD II stuff or cause any other issues electronically??? If not, any ideas on how to install around it.

The car should be here this week. I ordered the Prius III without a single option. It should be interesting to go from "seeing how fast I can go" to "seeing if I can get the car to go 60 miles on a gallon". The M was my dream car and hated to part with it. The best vehicle I have owned other than my Titanium T3 Wheelchair. Maybe we will be starting a whole new line of threads. Any other Prius drivers with chairs out there? Lets talk and compare!!!

Crash - T 10 Para with a 2011 Prius III