1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking For An Outdoors GPS

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by zenMachine, Aug 25, 2011.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm researching and shopping for a GPS to be used for hiking, biking, boating, etc. Must have requirement is an altimeter. Unit must also be waterproof (up to 3 feet of water preferred).

A built-in camera would be nice but not critical.

Any and all suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's one. You didn't specify a budget, but the requirements you're looking for aren't inexpensive to satisfy. A unit purchased locally would no doubt have maps appropriate for your area, and you can buy others for wherever you're going.

Something else you might be interested in is a Panasonic TS3 camera. It's rugged, waterproof and likely takes far better pictures than the GPS unit.

3. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    $300 or less. Would like to hear some first hand experience. My main use for it will be for hiking, so trail maps are top priority.

4. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you checked LL Bean?

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  6. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There are a number of free maps available for Garmin mapping units. A Google search of "garmin free trail maps" turned up over 10 million hits, so that should keep you busy for a while. The maps vary in quality, from an individuals track of a single hike to extensive Soviet maps of the US.

7. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just ordered a Magellan Toughcase GPS for iPhone/iPod on Amazon ($21). It's waterproof and also acts as an extra battery charger. At this price, even if the GPS doesn't work I still can use it as a rugged case when hiking! :)

I guess it'll depend on the mapping apps I can use with it. As long as the GPS reception is decent I think I will be happy.