1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for "Block Heater at Work" solution

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by mparrish, Apr 16, 2007.

1. mparrish

mparrish New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a block heater (EBH) installed on my 2007, which helps my morning commute to work. I do not, unfortunately, have access to an outlet at work to warm up the engine block before my return home. I'm searching for off-the-grid solutions; the EBH needs roughly 400 watts of power.

Solar panels do not appear to be an option. While I do park on a roof, making solar worth exploring, the maximum afternoon wattage appears to be in the neighborhood of 25-50 watts..........assuming ideal conditions and quality panels.

A 1000 watt generator is an option, although new generators are expensive. I've found a used 1000 watt for as low as $150, but those suckers run on gas...........and I am unsure whether there would in effect be any total gas saved by substituting one "generator" (my Prius) for another (Honda 1000 watt).

So anyway, I thought I'd post this to comb the combined expertise of the Prius community. Thank you in advance.

What I really want is a battery or "capacitor", which can plug in at home, capture 400 watts, store it, can be plugged in remotely later, and deliver those 400 watts remotely to my EBH. I suspect I may have just invented a toy that does not yet exist :). But maybe not.

2. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mparrish @ Apr 16 2007, 10:11 AM) [snapback]424050[/snapback]</div>
    Believe me, using gasoline to generate electricity to save gasoline would be very cost INeffective.
    A good fraction of the gasoline burned is going into waste heat. You'd probably better off to put a kerosine heater below your engine. But I don't know about the safety issues with that.

Dave M.

3. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Are you sure there are no outlets somewhere? Most building codes require some outlets for maintenance use.

Wayne

4. Squint

Squint New Member

After I installed my block heater, I found an outlet near my usual parking spot. It was 2' from my driver's side door. I found a bunch more in the parking structure and have used them when I arrive later in the day and don't get my preferred spot.