1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for hybrid mechanic in Silicon Valley/Steering wheel buttons not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by devprius, Feb 8, 2012.

1. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've got a 2005 Prius with 160K miles on it that needs some work. I'm a little loathe to take it to the dealer, and would like to find an independent mechanic.

The main problem I'm having is that the Info & Recirculate buttons on my steering wheel no longer work.

I think the Recirculate button is stuck somehow, because when I try to press it, there is no travel and I can't easily put the car into Recirculate mode. The Front and Rear defrost buttons do work properly.

There is plenty of travel for the Info button, and it feels like there is a button press happening, but the signal isn't making it to the MFD. The Map button works properly. The Handsfree buttons also work properly, as does the Voice-command button.

All the buttons on the left side of the car also work correctly, and have the right amount of travel.

An alternative is for me to replace the button clusters myself. The parts themselves are about $100 to $125 per cluster. How easy is it to remove them?

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A 'hybrid' mechanic? I try to stay away from the knuckle-dragger neanderthal types. Mind you, a hybrid of human and computer would be great. ;)

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  4. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  5. drew935

drew935 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    /\/\ Wow, they look pretty good to go to. I have my friend at Capitol Toyota that takes care of me.
    Here's the fsm that will help you out.
    Documentazione Tecnica Prius 2006

6. CHockMT

CHockMT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Fast forward to 2017: What fixed the Info and Recirc buttons? My 2010 has inop Trip and Mode buttons on the steering wheel.

7. CHockMT

CHockMT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Correction: Display button inop, not Mode.