1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for ideas to put 2 speakers into the cubby hole

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mee081224, Jul 16, 2011.

1. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got the 2011 package 2 last night. Im in full upgrade mode.

Im looking to get the kenwood 6180 or 6980. The only difference is the preamp outputs, I am not sure if $100 makes that much difference. Any thoughts on the difference of these 2 HUs or any other HUs?

One thing I have to make sure works is that the backup cam comes up even while the HU is booting up.

I want to install an amp and 2-12s in the cubby hole, if it will fit. But I dont want to change the car itself, as I plan to sell in 3-4 years.

Are there any prebuilt boxes out there to fit in there? I see the BASS1200 but I feel they are too small to produce the bump I want. I want to spend the right amount of money upfront and not upgrade later on.

If I have to getthe boxes custom made, how much would I expect to spend on the box/install?

If anyone has any installer recommendations in tampa, please let me know.

And yes I have gone through the forums for this info, but not much is around for the 3rd generation. I went into the 2nd generation forums, which had some excellent pictures but the dimensions are def different.

2. vidoprof

vidoprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can't tell ya much about the HU as I haven't looked much into them. Sorry. I know the $100 is well spent though on higher voltage preouts. Just an opinion I have gotten from a TON of people.

Not going to fit. Unless you can find a SUPER shallow 12" that takes an enormously small box. Not sure one exists. I think (1) 10" in each side would fit. Although I have only seen a 10" on the passenger side cubby hole as it's wider and looks like it has more room side to side (the other has more room if you take up into the storage area but that box would be a weird form)

There are no prebuilt boxes although a few have built there own on here. Some also like the small form factor of the BASS1200 but if you WANT (2) 12" woofers there is no way in hell that thing is going to satisfy you. Each sub fiberglass enclosure would run you about $300-$400.

I gave you a recommendation, although maybe someone else can chime in (I haven't seen or heard of anyone on here from Tampa though besides you and I.

Good luck, I have read pretty much every thread on here for custom installs and I have what I am going with. If you find something else let us all know

Ryan

3. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I make a bunch of fiberglass parts for old MGBs. Do you think there's a market for sub boxes for the Gen 3's? It would be dead easy to make a mold for one.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think there is but not in high volume. I wonder if the mold would be close enough to fit a GenII. If it could be universal then it may be worth your time.

5. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know you got me and vidoprof in tampa. Im sure you can find others for the GenIII, if they can be very close to GenII, Im sure you will have a decent amount. And as time grows everyone will move to the GenIII and demand would go up. Especially if they can order through paypal or something.

6. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll have to see if my GenII box fits my Gen III. I'm thinking I tried it once before and it didn't fit

7. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I dont think it will fit. Im looking now, and it is majorly different with the sizes. so although they are close, they are not identical. so you would need two different molds.

But like I said as time grows people will upgrade as I have done and there will be more demand for these boxes. If they are cheap lol....

You may want to know what the costs are of the materials and your time to see if it is even worth it.

8. vidoprof

vidoprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well let me know soon as my car is going in on Friday for my install. :)

9. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Materials won't be much, and I have tons of the stuff in the shop. If it's not gel coated, just resin, CSM, a set of terminals. Empty box, center mark to cut out for their speaker, they can add the matting inside.

But, define cheap...:rockon:

10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "Materials won't be much, and I have tons of the stuff in the shop. If it's not gel coated, just resin, CSM, a set of terminals. Empty box, center mark to cut out for their speaker, they can add the matting inside.

But, define cheap..."

I liked ShawnB2's solution and follow the ones discussed here. A JL Audio Stealthbox product was/is not available for the Prius. Because the cost for a one off though different installers, I took another route for my sub. Saw your posts before and I believe THERE IS a market for these if you can handle it. I would even suggest talking to our host for initial distribution.

11. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yep.

cheap is something under $300, as an installer can probably do an entire install and custom box for that amount. Last time I checked, anways.

12. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here's what I put together. It's built for a single JL Audio 10W3v3.
    I still have yet to get the processor & amp I need to finish the install. I think that two 10's is about the most you can do with the cubby holes based on the volume available. As long as you feed them plenty of clean power you should be very happy. A custom shop would want about $400 for the parts & labor for each enclosure (no sub included). I'm only about 35 miles east of Tampa, but I don't have a shop that I can refer you to from personal experience...I'm more of a DIY'er. Shops that deal in high-end car audio brands are a good place to start...NOT big-box like BB. Maybe try The Audio Itch on Dale Mabry???

Attached Files:

13. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice look. How much did it cost you to do? Excluding the speakers. 2 - 10s seemed to be all it can fit, which I am fine with, but like you said you need power to them. I saw an install where they took the panel out on the right side and replaced it with an amp and cap with the speaker, and had another speaker on the left side (not much room on that side)

14. vidoprof

vidoprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can you fit a 10w6 back in there in that enclosure or is that just too big? I would like to mold that enclosure a little closer to the side of that panel on the right side. Would that be possible?

I know the 10w6 and 10w3 use the same space wise for the enclosure but the 10w6 has a bigger mounting depth.

What would you want for the sub enclosure? Just trying to get an idea.

Thanks
    Ryan

15. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I spent around $130 in materials if I recall correctly. This was my first attempt at fiberglassing, but I've built dozens (if not hundreds) of sub enclosures over the years.
    Since it was my first fiberglass project, I ended up buying a cheap mask & goggles, gloves, disposable measuring cups, masking tape, foil, spray glue, resin, mat & weave, vinyl, etc....someone who's done it before would likely have most of the materials needed and just have a small investment in resin & mat. I spent the better part of two days piecing it together, with a failed first attempt. It would go quicker for me next time. The enclosure has room to spare depth-wise, but I don't know for sure if a W6 would go....if I had to guess I'd say "yes". I don't think you could pull the face of the enclosure any closer to the panel and get a W6 to fit.

16. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wouldnt mind spending $100 + s/h for each type of enclosure. Im sure someone who has done this a few times, can def do it cheaper and prob make a profit of about $25 for each box done. If you figure out how to semi-mass produce them you got a shop :)

17. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The issue is the labor. I can see spending 8-10 hours on this kind of project to do it right.
    If you could get by with $60 on materials (rough estimate), $100 would only give you $40 for labor; that's $4-$5/hr.....most shops that do this kind of work get a minimum of $35/hr for labor....that's where my guesstimate of $400 came from. Even the mass produced vehicle-specific fiberglass enclosures (like the JL Audio Stealthboxes) are quite pricey....best I can tell they also are seeking around $400 for the shell.....add the woofer and you get something in the $500-$600 range....where many of the stealthboxes retail.

18. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ouch yeah thats rough. BUt I do know some shops that do the box for 200-300 depending on size, so I guess they might be able to do it faster or something

19. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Like I mentioned before, if someone could make a lightweight mold (negative) of the cavity then we could ship it around to each other and pay the creator a royalty. Piece of cake. :)

20. vidoprof

vidoprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like this idea.. maybe i can get my shop to make the mold for the passenger cubby hole.

I will talk to them on Thursday or Friday when I pick up my car.