1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for mechanic in San Diego to reseal timing cover on 2011

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by white2011, Mar 13, 2024.

1. white2011

white2011 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The dealer wants over $3k to reseal the timing cover because it’s leaking. It’s mostly labor and can be tricky.

I’m hoping someone has had good experience getting this done with a less expensive mechanic.

Recommendations?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have you had a look at it yourself? You can get an "idea", looking down the side at the "front" of the engine (the passenger end of the engine). Better: remove front/right (passenger side) front wheel, pop off a few plastic fasteners holding a plastic liner at the far wall of the wheel well, and you can see the bottom zone of the front of the engine. This'll give you some idea how serious the leak is.

This is doable without removing the engine from the car. When this first came up here, a few years back, a dealership quoted $1700 USD, for what it's worth.

3. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can buy a lot of oil for $3000...

4. gramps

gramps Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found Ecomax on Black Mountain Rd off Miramar Rd here on Priuschat. I have used them exclusively on my 2009 Prius from cheap oil changes on up, luckily we never had anything big wrong with her. I'd recommend giving "Mr Lee" a call at (858) 586-7888 and have a chat and tell him "Mr Larry" referred you..lol