1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for Mechanic in St Petersburg/Tampa, Florida for swapping Catalytic Converter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SoopahMan, May 15, 2018.

1. SoopahMan

SoopahMan Member

I don't know what's up with mechanics in Florida so far but we've had some tough luck getting someone to swap out the catalytic converter on a 2008 Prius.

Any recommendations for the St Pete/Tampa area? Zip 33707 if that's any help.

What we've looked at so far:

The Dealer wants $3500 to do it, which seems way too high. I see the DirectFit Cat recommended here at a price of ~$290. Even if it was 2 guys' labor for 2 hours at $100/hr that should only put the whole job at $700.

The mechanics I can find so far keep saying they "don't trust high voltage," which seems irrelevant to this job - but sure indicates I'm talking to the wrong person. One guy told us he works on Priuses, then when he realized it was a Cat told us he "took the high voltage class 10 years ago" and didn't remember most of it.

This seems to be a lot of confused myths about the Prius in the way of just getting a pretty simple job done. Figured that'd be over by 2018... .

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    m.wynn, SFO and SoopahMan like this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have used Rainbow Muffler in Largo for years. There pretty good and will weld up anything you bring them. You bring them the cat and they put it on. Don't have there number but there at Belcher & West Bay.

m.wynn and SFO like this.