1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for new Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dnoh, Apr 16, 2007.

1. dnoh

dnoh New Member

Hi guys. I've been looking to buy new Prius for long time and now me and my wife finally decided to buy one. I currently own 2006 Mini Cooper S and my wife is pregnant so we are looking for something bigger and Prius will be perfect for us I think.

First, I've been to one of the dealership on Saturday and test drove the car. We both loved it. And the salesman offer $500 over invoice. Is this good price? I don't know the exact price since I didn't really like how much they offered me on the trade in value.

I asked to give me the car at invoice price and he firmly denied the offer. He told me that's unreasonable and $500 over invoice is the best he can do. Am I really out of line if I ask for the invoice price? I often hear people are getting under invoice price, what is the trick?

Second, my 2006 Mini Cooper S trade in value from KBB is about little more than 18k for good condion. Fair condition is about $16k. And my car is excellent condition inside and out. But I don't expect they will ever appraise for excellent. However, they initially gave me $13k and after I showed them KBB value, they can only go up as high as $16k. So I decided that I will just sell it my own, this will only delay my new prius purchase but I guess I can wait. What is the best way to sell my car? Autotrader? How much that will cost me? Craiglist?

Anyway, what is the invoice price for 2007 Prius will package #5? and Package #6? I should've asked that price but I was little mad how much they offered me for my Mini. Maybe I should call the salesman again for the right price.

Thanks guys. Hopely I can get my new car very soon.

2. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dnoh @ Apr 16 2007, 08:06 AM) [snapback]423944[/snapback]</div>
    This may vary depending on location and the stock situation.

The dealer where I bought mine about 3 weeks ago offers $300 under invoice with a COSTCO membership card. They ended up beating the price of another dealer so the final price ended up lower than that.

It's possible that in your part of the country they may not sell for invoice, but here they can sell for quite a bit under.

Yes you probably will get a much better price selling the Mini on your own. I've had good luck on Craigslist but those were lower-priced cars. You can always try it though--it's free. www.cars.com is my other favorite--I think that one has a fee.

Look at other dealers that may be a few-hours drive away...it might help if they have a lot of stock sitting on the lot. See if they have a lower advertised final priceor find out how low of a price they can give you. Do you have Autonation dealers out there? That's who I used. Tell the dealer you have been working with (or find a different one if that one gives you a bad feeling) and tell them this other dealer will sell you one for this much and you don't want to drive all the way out there but you WILL if you HAVE TO. Then see if they come around.

Have fun,

Eric

3. dnoh

dnoh New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tanglefoot @ Apr 16 2007, 10:28 AM) [snapback]423968[/snapback]</div>
    Eric,
    I kept hearing about Costco discount price. My wife has Costco membership card, how do I get qualify with this?

4. dnoh

dnoh New Member

I just got the phone call from the dealer and they just offered me for invoice price which is at $25635 (package #6 with few other stuffs). But trade in value is still at $16k. I am not sure if I should take the offer. I countered offer for invoice price and $17k for trade in. She will give me a call later today after she talked to her manager. Let's hope I can get the deal worked out for me.

I have a question for the tax credit. How is this thing works? Is tax credit means, what ever the tax I pay for this car, I am getting back? So if I trade in my car, I am going to pay the tax on the difference, probably around $9k. So I am getting back the tax I pay for $9k? I am really confused for this tax credit thing.

Thanks.

BTW, I am located in NJ.

5. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dnoh @ Apr 16 2007, 09:03 AM) [snapback]423982[/snapback]</div>
    My salesperson mentioned the COSTCO discount to me. It's in their incentive list. I think all you have to do is ask about it and show them your card.

I definately don't have much tax expertise, and someone please correct me, but my impression (I haven't gotten my credit yet) is that the tax credits have nothing to do with your trade-in. They are set amounts of federal and state credits that you can file to receive if you purchase a new Prius (and some other hybrids) The amounts do change throughout the year, and I believe they are gradually being phased out.

I'm sure someone will give you more information and/or a link.

It sounds like your offers are getting much better. Maybe they'll get better yet!

6. dnoh

dnoh New Member

Well, I haven't heard back from my salesman yet however my monther in law decided to get a Prius as well. Now we are going to buy two Prius, I think I can do some serious deal with my dealer. Perhaps, I need to go to couple of different dealer to get a better deal.

What kind of interest rate am I looking for? Any special interest deal going on nowaday? My credit score is around 720ish. Thanks guys.

7. crypter

crypter New Member

Hi dnoh,

Regarding the tax credit: I just finished my taxes (whew!) and the tax credit thing is not related to purchase price of the car/trade in value. It is a credit towards your tax liability itself. There are a couple of additional forms that you need to fill out when you do your taxes next year, 6251 (AMT) and 8910 (Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit). The actual amount of the credit you will recieve will depend on your income and whether you need to pay AMT (and how much), so the credit may be limited or even eliminated. Unfortunately you won't know for sure until you do your taxes for the year you buy your Prius. But the car itself is great for so many reasons and worth purchasing even without the tax credit, IMHO - I am very pleased with mine and the doubling of mileage over the Acura I traded in for it!

BTW, just to give you a comparison...I am a single filer, made 120K of which 2/3 became my taxable amount after all deductions. I qualified for the full 1575.00 that I was entitled to since I bought in November last year. (although I wouldn't have recieved the full 3150.00 had I bought earlier).

Let us know what happens,
    cc B)

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    dnoh, It is late in the game but read through www.carbuyingtips.com. Since you know exactly what you want e-mail or fax a request for a quote to other dealers. You may want to consider asking dealers in the southern part of the state. For many things you are in the NY zone where prices are higher than in the Philadelphia zone which covers South Jersey. The border is usually around Trenton.

I recommend asking the internet sales managers at www.lawrencetoyota.com (Lawrenceville is between Trenton & Princeton on US 1), www.libertytoyota.com (on US130 in Burlington), and www.cherryhilltoyota.com (close to NJ38 and I-295). I believe all Toyota dealers will pay you a small referral fee so unless they will give that to you on the 2nd car, don't buy 2 at the same time. If you do go to CH, notify me so you can get the referral.

The credit, as mentioned, is a credit for 2007 Federal income tax. As an estimate, download the free program at www.taxact.com and enter estimates for your 2007 income and deductions on the 2006 form to see the calculation for the credit. Happy hunting.

9. dnoh

dnoh New Member

Thanks for all the respond. It really helps me alot today. My dealership called me 3 times today and they are showing some good respond. I respect their service. I still insisted on my trade value to be $17k, it's $16k right now. She asked me to give her time til end of this week and she will come up with something. Meanwhile, I will get some other quote from other dealer. I hope I can get this car soon so I can be a part of green community.

I was very surprise with how many people hate Toyota Prius. After I announced to buy a new Prius on couple of my online communities, I was very surprise to find out how many people hate Prius. They were giving me all the wrong BS informations about Prius, like Prius harms more than Hummer. And they all try to justified me with car like Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla, they are being much cheaper. I didn't reply any of those repond since I know I am making the right decision.

This isn't just about saving money on GAS. I am going to have my first baby and I want to be a part of a group which can help our environment. Prius isn't the solution but I think it really help.

I put 25k miles per years, if I can spend little less money on gas, I think I am doing my part.

Anyway, I hope my Toyota dealer comes back with good news soon.

10. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dnoh @ Apr 16 2007, 11:37 PM) [snapback]424427[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like you are going in the right direction with your purchase. Working the deal out over the phone may work to your advantage however. Most dealers I've dealt with would make the deal you proposed in person on the spot...(After some haggling of course) Since your talking via phone, now is a great time if you have the patience to shop around and see if you can do better, you certainly will do no worse! :)

Our car seems to draw a lot of hate amoung the uninitiated, I'm ok with it though as we all know we have a gem of a vehicle.

I hope you've taken some time to browse these forums, there is alot of valuable information here you will never find out by reading the manual!

Good Luck!

11. dnoh

dnoh New Member

Good news guys, I bought 2007 Red Prius with package #6 today. I went to local dealership around 3pm and I drove out the car at around 6pm. I will post my awsome red Prius tomorrow.

I paid $25635 and they offered my 2006 Mini Cooper S for $17k for trade in value. So far I love my new car and I need to learn alot. I will have bunch of questions in the future guys. Thanks.