1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for OBDII scanner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by AbuS3ood, Jul 18, 2010.

1. AbuS3ood

AbuS3ood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi all,
    I have 06 prius and looking for an OBDII scanner that connect to a laptop through usb with software, im welling to get the most functions i can with the lowest price :D

i saw one on the ebay but i need your suggestions.

ebay OBD

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you want the most functions you can pay US$1,345 and buy Techstream Lite:
    https://techinfo.toyota.com:443/tec...hinfo/html/prelogin/docs/tsliteflyertinfo.pdf

If you want to pay the lowest price you can buy a generic OBD-II code reader that will be close to useless if you have a serious Prius problem. It might read engine ECU DTC, that's about it.

So, you have to decide how serious you are about needing functionality vs. a low price.

3. Pooka

Pooka TIFOSO

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

get the Bluetooth one and not the USB one ...

WIRELESS BLUETOOTH OBDII OBD 2 INTERFACE CAN-BUS B05: eBay Motors (item 300429100699 end time Jul-18-10 23:35:00 PDT)

that way you can use it with any of the smartphones (instead of lugging a lappy and hanging wires) ... as well as with the laptop ...

hope this helps!

4. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so the one being expensive can do what an office toyota scan tool can do?.. as in change the Fluids and drain.. as some are electronic or you do it the manual way.. like the brake bleeding?

5. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    where is the direct link to checkout so i can buy this

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :confused:

The link that I provided shows a toll-free # that you can call to place your order.

7. AbuS3ood

AbuS3ood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks all,
    i have no problems in my prius but welling to by the reader to know more about it, i cant afford the expensive one plus that i live in the middle east and there will be some extra charges and costumes, i think i'll buy the ebay one so at least i'll get the pc connection and i might program my own software or download one from the net :) its only cost 20$
    any comments are welcome.

8. yups

yups Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm in a pickle with a gen2 traction battery: Warning light and independent mechanic came up with Traction battery error but no specific codes. Here in Tucson its HOT and I'm pretty sure the Battery is fried('06 w/ 115k). Started to rebuild and found leakage, not sure which mod, but had three mods fail when cycling, one near the leakage so hoping that failed mod was it.
    Which brings me to needing an affordable Scan tool. In for a penny in for a pound(chargers, ebay mods, powersupply...probably should've had the craiglist guy do it or showed up at Patrick's house) So are there any recent and decent recommendations for a scanner that can read the traction battery mod voltages and error/PID codes? I would like to correlate error codes to specific mod. I don't think bluetooth/wifi is essential but it would be nice.
    Its been kinda of fun so far, cheating death and all but the peanut gallery suggestions to speed things along are getting old..." Why can't you stick your tongue on the post to see which ones dead?"

Thanks for any guidance.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mini VCI gets most of the buzz around here these days.

-Chap

valde3 likes this.
  10. yups

yups Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Chapman. I see the cable and driver online but it seems to need an application like techstream($1K+) to pull up those battery mod codes. Am I mistaken? Is there something for the trailer trash economy?

11. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Mini-VCI already has that software. It’s just Chinese pirated version. So don’t use the same laptop for something important…

12. yups

yups Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hey many thanks
    smokin:)