1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking For Prius Pro in VT or Northeast able to help with EGR Cooler/Valve, Intake Manifold, Etc?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Ethan Waldman, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Ethan Waldman

Ethan Waldman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi All, my beloved 3rd Gen (The Silver Bullet) has reached about 120k miles, and based on all the reading I've been doing here, it sounds like it's time to tackle cleaning the EGR Cooler and Valve, Intake Manifold, etc. I'm planning to do the spark plugs myself next week, but after watching the videos on the EGR and IM cleaning, I just don't think I'm up to the job. (Yes I realize I'll already be taking off the wiper assembly to get to the plugs and it would be a good time to do the rest).

It sounds like it's not economical for most mechanic shops to do the cleaning- they'll just want to replace. Are there any mechanics here that live in Vermont or the North East willing to tackle this job, ideally all at once? I'm in Burlington, VT but willing to travel...

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    @m.wynn is close to your neck of the woods:).

And he's done the job several times;).

@Bay Stater has also done the job, but is a bit further away:(.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

Bay Stater and pjksr02 like this.
  3. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't count yourself short. You can do it. A selection of tools (extensions and swivels) and the #8 T socket are needed. Plus, you need the time and a garage or driveway.

Cleaning the EGR cooler, as you know, is the bugaboo. I don't see how a clogged cooler can be completely cleaned without a pressure washer. If you don't find help, and don't have a pressure washer, consider just getting a new cooler (McGeorge Toyota in Richmond is a good source).

The intake manifold cleaned up easier for me, but you'll need something like a straw-cleaning brush for the narrow passages.

Finally, look to purchase the updated spark plug. Recently, this was available only from a dealership. I learned of the change after replacing mine - so far, so good, though.

Bay Stater and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    See if you can get that lower nut off the cooler. You can do that in advance; it won't be missed. If you can do that you're away to the races. My 2 cents, take the associated stud out too, maybe while the cooler's off.

There are tricks so you needn't spill a drop of coolant. I can post more info in a bit.

5. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Instead of paying someone to do the cleaning, why not buy the same parts on eBay and replace it? Then when the old parts are out, clean it when you’re free. Now you have extra spare parts to do the replacement next time, instead of cleaning it and then putting it back.

6. Bobulator

Bobulator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have the same question, but live in Atlanta. Anyone know of a good independent shop to do this service around here? We're getting random cylinder misfires, and I've replaced all the spark plugs and coils, no joy. :-(

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    your better off with a new thread with the question in the title like this one. that way, members in the area might notice it.

pjksr02 likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    since this is a diy job, any mech can do it, if you know a good one.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Any route other than DIY is going to be expensive, frustratingly so. It's not that hard. If OP is going to DIY the spark plugs, he should be able to manage the EGR and intake cleaning. With 120K miles, it's probably worthwhile to replace the gaskets between intake manifold and engine, throttle body and EGR pipe.

I'd recommend brake cleaner and brushes, for everything but the EGR cooler. For that my pref is to stopper one end and fill it with a saturated hot water and Oxi-Clean solution. Let it work for about an hour. Run a thin wire through if any passages are completely blocked. Then flush out with hot tap water, and repeat, till it's clean. I found about 5 soaks thus got it like-new clean. Alternately, or in conjunction, many have used a pressure washer.

I chose not to fully disassemble the EGR valve, take the black plastic cap off. I was close to rounding the screw heads, and found I was able to clean it anyway, so let it be.

Here's my boilerplate info:

The simplest way to see where you're at, is to check the degree of carbon build up in the EGR pipe, a stainless steel connecting pipe between the EGR valve and intake manifold. Watch @NutzAboutBolts video #16 here:

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

Two or three other videos linked there too, for the full cleaning of the intake manifold, full EGR clean, and Oil Catch Can install.

Good thread:

EGR & Intake Manifold Clean Results | PriusChat

Another:

Oil Catch Can, Eliminate that knock! | PriusChat

Some tools worth having:

E8 Torx socket (mandatory)
    E6 Torx socket (optional, but good to have, to remove the throttle body studs from intake manifold)
    3/8" ratchet wrench, regular and long handle, flex head, you can never have enough (or 1/2 plus reducer)
    1/4" ratchet wrench, or 3/8" to 1/4" reducer
    Ratchet extensions: you can never have enough
    Long needle nose piers, straight and bent tip
    Ratcheting 12mm box wrench (optional, but makes disconnection of the EGR cooler from exhaust easier)
    Torque wrench (3/8" and 1/4" both good to have)
    Floor jack and safety stands (or ramps): basically some method to raise front, if you need to take underpanel off, which you may need to, both for access and to recover dropped items.

Comment regarding clamping of coolant hose, mentioned and or shown in videos:

1. When removing the intake manifold for cleaning, you do need to lift the throttle body off the intake manifold. Still, the coolant hoses connected to the throttle body have ample slack, enough that you can leave them connected, and just tie the throttle body to something adjacent, say the inverter wiring harness.

2. When removing the EGR cooler, removing coolant hoses is necessary, but if you drain 2 liters/quarts from the radiator drain spigot prior (into a clean container), the coolant level in the system will be dropped below the EGR componennts, and you won't spill anything. Just be sure to not tip the cooler when lifting it off (and catch the rear gasket): there are a few tablespoons of coolant trapped at the lower back corner.

Pour that into your previous drained coolant, and when done pour it back into the reservoir. If you've got the coolant bleed bolt (2010, 2011 model years), leave it open while pouring the coolant back in, till coolant starts coming out. For later model years, leave the topmost coolant hose on EGR disconnected till coolant starts coming out. Also, might help to burp the main radiator hose as you pour the coolant back in.

#9 Mendel Leisk, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Bay Stater and NutzAboutBolts like this.
  10. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    ^This.

It makes no economic sense to pay a tech to clean your EGR cooler -- it takes too much time to do properly. If you can't or are unwilling to do the EGR system cleaning yourself, buy a used cooler, clean it, and supply it to the tech. Last time I checked the coolers were going for $100 - $150 on eBay -- that's less than two hours shop time.

I've done mine twice and it was completely clogged both times (zero air flow at 100psi). The first time I used Oxyclean, carb cleaner, oven cleaner, water, and a piece of stiff wire... it eventually came clean, but it took a couple of days of soaking, agitating, poking with the wire.

The second time I used a pressure washer, and had it spotless in less than 30 minutes using no chemicals whatsoever.

#10 tvpierce, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  11. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you just do a plain search for the cooler, you can find them from junk yards for $50-60.
    Mine was $55, with free shipping. It was sooty like my original one was.
    Oven cleaner cleaned it up easily. I pressure washed the one I bought and it did clean it
    out pretty good. But I used the oven cleaner anyway. When I used the pressure washer to
    rinse it out, it was black! I did that 3 times before it started getting clean.
    So I think the pressure washer does a great job, depending on how bad it is.
    But you should also use oven cleaner, brake cleaner, carb cleaner, or anything else you
    want to use afterward.
    Then it will be really clean.

#11 ASRDogman, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Bay Stater and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. Ethan Waldman

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks everyone for your encouragement and tips! I live in a condo and have zero garage or shop space to work with. I have a decent selection of tools but not really the space to explode my Prius and leave it while I clean these parts. I really like the suggestion about finding some used parts, cleaning them myself, and paying a local tech to do the swap. I'll keep any eye on eBay.. any other sites you recommend @ASRDogman ?

While it's more expensive than DIY, it's certainly less than what my mortgage would be if I had a property with garage in this town .

I will plan to pull the EGR pipe and clean it (many thanks to @NutzAboutBolts videos) when I do the plugs next week and will report back on how dirty things are looking.

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  13. Ethan Waldman

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, that's the number on mine. (y)

Second line:

upload_2020-6-25_8-54-57.png

Ethan Waldman likes this.
  15. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you have a friend, or friend of a friend, that might let you use their driveway???? Or garage?

$110 is a lot of money!
    Try this place:

TLS AutoRecycling
    877-247-1717
    http://www.benzeenautoparts.com

No guarantee they will have one, but maybe...
    mine was $55, free shipping.

Ebay is expensive, Do and internet search, not ebay search, for "egr cooler for 2010 Prius"
    Or whatever your you have....

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I get the feeling the used price is going up, owners waking up to the issue, supply and demand.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  18. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is possible. I spend a few hours looking for one. Prices were around $80 on average
    when I searched. I just looked, it was 2 years ago, today! Guess I did it at the right time.

But if someone is willing to do the work, they can probably find a junk yard somewhere that has one.
    I would think that since they are 10 years old now, some wrecked ones will be there. And if it's a
    you pull it place, maybe even cheaper.

All it takes, is work..

pjksr02 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  19. Ethan Waldman

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is Amayama a reputable way to get parts? I should have pulled the trigger on that eBay one yesterday.. it sold!

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've used them three times now, small items, very professional, items well packed, took a little under two weeks. COVID is a problem though, shipping times apparently much longer.

Another member used them for transaxle damper plate, also went well.

Food for thought: just clean the one you have?

Raytheeagle likes this.