1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for Prius to temp. display in museum in Sacramento

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by CalAutoMuseum, Jan 7, 2014.

1. CalAutoMuseum

CalAutoMuseum New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I am the curator of the California Automobile Museum, located in Sacramento. We have an upcoming exhibit titled "It's Electrifying! Alternative Fuel Vehicles in California" and I would very much like to include a Prius in this display. Unfortunately for me, most people who own a Prius drive it regularly, unlike the classic cars we usually display.

I am posting on this forum in hopes that I can find a Prius in the Northern California area that wouldn't mind being part of a static display to tell the history of alternative fuel vehicles. The exhibit will run from February 15 to June 15, 2014.

If anyone has any leads, please feel free to contact me on this forum, or at 916-442-6802, and take a look at our website, where my email address is also listed. (google Cal Auto Museum as I cannot put a link in this post.)

Thanks for your help!
    Carly

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hope you get one Carly. Two questions - have you contacted Toyota? they might kick one loose.

Second, Art's in Oakland or Luscious Garage in SF might have some components (batteries, motor/generators, transaxles) that would make interesting 'look inside' displays.

Just post a few 'filler' messages and you will get URL posting privileges :)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    perhaps a dealer, or toyota themselves might be interested. you can pm erica at Prius Team. all the best!(y)

4. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can't find the right people at Toyota America (although I'd have thought a local dealer would be happy to lend you a car as an exhibit), it'd be worth contacting Toyota Megaweb, Toyota's theme park thing in Tokyo. The website is at 見て乗って感じる クルマのテーマパーク MEGA WEB(メガウェブ) (I can't find an English version). I went there this time last year (not specially - we were there for other reasons). It showcases Toyota cars of the past, present and future, and contains exhibits about technology.

For one thing, they're the people that deal with education from a corporate point of view: Megaweb is very educational, and is used as a sort of unified promotional and educational tool. So they'll be the people within Toyota who would know a lot about museum exhibits and stuff, and they could probably help you find the right people at Toyota America.

For another, they have loads of existing physical and video exhibits, and even games, that show how Toyota's hybrid technology works, and which explains the differences between different types of hybrid technology. They may be able to supply with copies of some of these - especially the videos and video games - for your exhibition.

Your job sounds great fun. I bet you have some excellent stuff there.

5. CalAutoMuseum

CalAutoMuseum New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all! I have contacted a few local Toyota dealerships and they may result in a vehicle. We have contacts at a few other car manufacturers, but unfortunately not for Toyota. If anyone does have a relationship with Toyota, I would of course be happy to contact them.

I will also look into the two garages in the Bay Area, thank you tochatihu for that recommendation.

Thanks again!

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I think we should expect to see some photos from this exhibit after it is set up. That means you, Carly.

Carly running a car museum...tee hee