1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for Prius's that were on Fire

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by feffer37, Apr 10, 2007.

1. feffer37

feffer37 New Member

Hi -

I'm looking for any concrete examples of a Toyota Prius burning up, or causing a fire.

I'm not interested in:

- Sensationalist stores
    - Rumors or Urban legends about hybrids

We're investigating a house fire that started in a garage, which incidently, a 2005 Toyota Prius was the only car present. Houses burn up for lots of reasons, it just happens to be my job to do research to help the investigator either rule in or rule out a possibility.

Thank you to anyone who has any information that may help.

- feffer37

2. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I thought fire investigators could point toward the source of the fire by the way beams twisted, plastic melted and aftermath was laying....

Are you leaning in the direction that the fire started with the prius, or is there evidence that it came at the car from one angle or the other?

3. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Are you from an insurance company or a private investigator? Because unless you can substantiate any story you get here you are essentially wasting your time. Do you plan to tell your client sorry we cant pay you because I found information on the internet and have no way of proving any of it to be real but never the less we are not paying you? Is that what you will tell a judge?

The only story I know if is a sensational one were a guy runs into a gas station. Did they by chance also have a ford? Thos spontaneously combust and maybe it was jealous of the prius.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Apr 10 2007, 03:50 PM) [snapback]420969[/snapback]</div>

I just had a apt fir 4 month ago. Often times the insurance company will higher a private investigator as does the property owner. The one my apt hired tried to say it was my coffee maker because it was automatic. He ignored all the evidence from the fire marshal and the arson investigator saying it was a faulty stove. Also the private investigator from my insurance company said it was the stove and the apt was negligent for fixing the gas pipe with duct tape. The city engineer said the same thing but the apt wanted to pin it on me and sue my insurance company for the damages.

Not saying that is what this person is doing but these companies do not like to pay out money. If they can blame it on the prius and get money from Toyota they will.

Oh I forgot to mention that the apt’s fire investigator came in two weeks after everyone else and after the clean up crew had removed everything.

4. acdii

acdii Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Apr 10 2007, 03:01 PM) [snapback]420972[/snapback]</div>

Ruhroh, I better clear out my Garage I have 3 Fords in there now! :eek: :lol:

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Apr 10 2007, 04:01 PM) [snapback]420972[/snapback]</div>
    There's at least one other possibility: He might work for the fire marshal's office.

Regardless, he said he's not looking for sensationalism or urban myths, and appears to be seeking the truth. I accept his request at face value, and I'm not inclined to read an ulterior motive into the request.

Feffer37, speaking as one who works for the local fire department, I have heard of no reports.

6. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Apr 10 2007, 04:58 PM) [snapback]421035[/snapback]</div>

I am not reading into an ulterior motive here just wondering how he/she planes to use info gathered on the internet? Non of what is said here can be validated for legal usage unless the op is willing to fly out and get the data or set up someway of getting the proof from people here.

JimboK thank you for the work you do. You will be able to answer this. can you use data from the internet in you reports. More specifically can you say in an official report that “oh yeah I read on the internet that blah blah blah; Without official ways to back it up.

7. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Apr 10 2007, 05:05 PM) [snapback]421040[/snapback]</div>
    First, thanks for your "thanks." I should mention that I'm not one of those crazy folks who runs into burning buildings while others are running out. I'm too old and too wimpy. My background is EMS, so I'll take care of the injured after the brave ones pull them out.

I think we're probably saying the same thing. It doesn't matter to me whether information comes via the internet. The internet is a medium. If the reliability of data is critical, I want to verify it with the original source, regardless of the medium. I do agree that anecdotes from web forums should be taken with skepticism. For that matter, so should many news reports. Unfortunately we tend to accept all of what we read and hear as fact, even though it's often, "I heard ...," or "Experts say ...." But sources like these are worthwhile as starting points.

The OP, as a professional, presumably knows this.

8. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Apr 10 2007, 05:28 PM) [snapback]421056[/snapback]</div>
    You have some good points.

Hey I was a Corpsman in the navy assigned to the marines. Ems is very important work and often goes un-thanked. What good does running into a building to get someone out do if there is no one to keep them alive.

9. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

Personally I've never heard of a Prius just "catching" fire before. The only way that would even remotely be possible is if the hybrid battery were faulty. BTW I am not including things that every car has, like gas and a 12v battery, etc..

Chances are highly unlikely that the hybrid battery could even start a fire by itself.

10. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In my professional career as a fire protection engineer for a LARGE mid-west city I have never of heard of a Prius fire.

Wayne

11. iaowings

iaowings New Member

I know with the fords it was some kind of electrical and fuel pump problems that was causing them to catch fire and burn up. Ford just didn’t want to recall and fix it at least that is what I heard.

It is entirely possible that something might have happened with the prius. but (I am not an expert) wouldn’t there be like posted above burn marks and all that junk emanating from were the car was/is. But then thinking about it the op never gave details so speculation at this point it just that.

No I have never heard of any car except the fords just catching fire.

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the hybrid battery is completely isolated when the vehicle is off. provided they weren't running one of those prius-as-generator setups (priUPS) there really isn't much chance for the car to ignite. couple instances of tundra and camry brake actuators while the cars were on and being driven but that's all DH can think of.

my husband is a hybrid tech at a dealer, and in his opinion you should be able to rule out the possibility of the prius causing the fire.

13. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, it does happen. A friend on Vancouver Island lost the attached garage and roof of the house to a fire started by a Buick, which was not running. Took a year to rebuild, covered by insurance. Just last year.

In the case of the Prius, it would be unlikely to be caused by the "traction battery". It is completely disconnected when the car is shut off, and has a fuse in the middle as well. The Prius is, however, just like any other car with a 12 V battery, and all the other components that "normal" cars have that have started fires. It is not yet a reported problem with the Prius. No recalls or anything burning related.

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While I have some skepticism about the veracity and intent of the OP here I have to say that we should try to keep an open mind. There were an aweful lot of laptops out there for quite a while before we got legitimately and verifiable reports of their batteries spontaneously catching fire.

Those of us with the ability to monitor the battery temps in the Prius have not seen or reported any issues with overheating or higher than expected temps when the system is shut down. But that doesn't mean it isn't possible for such a thing to occur in some potentially abnormal samples. With over 1/2 million of these cars on the road it wouldn't be unheard of for there to be an occasional issue. We should be positive and active participants in seeking out legitimate stories that could indicate a problem with the Prius.

That said, other than the totally farcical story of the idiot who drove his car into the gas station I've never seen one report that sounded like a spontaneous fire or any issues with fire or electrocution in the case of a crash even.

15. danoday

danoday Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Up until recently, I owned two 2005 prii (down to one now... sold in January). Both were garage kept, and never cause any problems at all. Up until reading this thread, I had never heard of a Prius fire.

A Google search turned up one reference, though (had to dig a bit):

http://mixedpower.com/modules.php?name=New...le&sid=1123

Confirm it yourself, but a call to the Fremont, California fire department should provide all the details you need.

This doesn't seem to be a trend, so it isn't likely any of us have anything to worry about. If you call Fremont, post here and let us know the details.

Dan

16. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ACD @ Apr 10 2007, 01:55 PM) [snapback]421033[/snapback]</div>
    Do something to keep the Prius out of their sight.

Dave M.

17. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please don't confuse the volatility of traditional Li-ions with
    NiMH packs... The prius isn't a laptop, not even close.
    _H*

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why would it have anything to do with the Prius?

A Prius doesn't "plug in" so that's out.

If the owner had a lot of paint/solvet soaked rags near a gas dryer or hot water heater that would happen with any or no car in the garage.

Any fire department investigator worth their paycheck will be able to determine what caused the fire. None of us were there nor do most of us have any expertise in this field.

19. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 10 2007, 11:49 PM) [snapback]421339[/snapback]</div>
    A fire investigator can and most likely find the point of origin of the fire.
    I had been a volunteer Fireman for 5 years and have seen a few investigate some pretty hairy situations.
    As Godiva said , if they know their business it will not be a mystery for long

20. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Apr 11 2007, 03:26 PM) [snapback]421576[/snapback]</div>
    The investigator who did my apartment had it figured out as soon as he walked in. he didn’t say anything though he wanted to be sure and came back that morning and he did a full investigation. He told me as soon as he walked in he new it started at the stove and the gas pipe was the problem but wanted to be 100%. I was impressed because when he showed me all the stuff that proved what it was It was like looking at an x-ray for the first time (you are being told what the injury is and shown what to look at but you have no clue what you are seeing).