1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for reputable Prius (2010) mechanic

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bacire, Jul 5, 2019.

1. bacire

bacire Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone know of a reputable Prius engine repair mechanic in the New Port Richey Florida area?

Need head gasket + timing belt gaskets replaced. Engine gasket weeping for over 1 year, timing gasket just started.
    Thank You

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In that area, @jerrymildred resides and might know of a good mechanic;).

Todd at @TampaPrius.com is a great resource and may have connections for an engine swap :).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Raytheeagle already mentioned Todd. Great guy with a good mechanic. He's my go-to guy. Just around the corner from me in NPR is Sun Toyota. I've used them for recalls, warranty, and tires. They seem to do a good job at a fair price. Higher than Todd's of course, but never felt like they were gouging me and they don't try to up-sell me.

And, to clarify, you don't have a timing belt, you have a chain. But, of course, the gasket can still leak. ;)

Todd would be my first choice for this since he can get new and used parts. He may find you a used engine cheaper than fixing the present one. Just click the link Ray gave and you'll find contact info there.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. bacire

bacire Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sun Toyota wants over $3,000+ just for the timing chain case gasket and they want me to replace the entire engine for head gasket fix.

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They want to replace the engine because it's so much less work to replace the whole engine that it's cheaper that way.

Here's a good thread on replacing the head gasket by a guy who did it. BIG job!! Blown Head gasket rebuild....@297k | PriusChat

I'd say talk to Todd. He'll steer you straight. He can probably swap out your engine for a lot less. It's so labor intensive that I doubt any shop would want to replace the gasket because you couldn't afford the labor. Timing chain gasket is also a pretty big job.

Raytheeagle likes this.