1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for Source for TPMS sensors sept 2023

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gromittoo, Sep 20, 2023.

1. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have confirmed one dead TPMS sensor using techstream on my 2013 Prius V. I went to my dealer's website to order a new one, and got a price of $67.73 for one sensor. Looked at amazon, and found sets of four at realistic prices (~ $35), but reviews indicate weak / dead batteries in new sensors are common.

I am looking for a recommendation for where to buy quality TPMS sensors at a realistic price. This is for my 2013 Prius V, which takes a different sensor than my 2017 Prius V. I am considering changing the one Sensor myself, using a YouTube video I found as a guide.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I don’t think you will find dealer oem sensors for less than $60 plus installation. I have found installation for $15 a tire.

1. Toyota 315mhz sensors have a unique id on each one which must be written to the car ecu with Techstream or a dedicated tpms device.

This cheap aftermarket’s id is
    5528CA0
    IMG_2927.jpeg

2. The manufacturers of the Toyota TPMS are TRW Automotive and Pacific Industrial Corp. Most I have seen are Pacific. OEM are said to have a raised/embossed QR code. Note logo and “Pacific” label.

IMG_2932.jpeg

3. I believe a lot of the aftermarket sensors have good batteries but weak rf which is easily interferred with by cheap switch mode power supplies, typically traced to aftermarket cameras, gps, led headlights or cell phone power supplies. So lots of reviews are good while a small group fail immediately (meaning after a 20 minute tpms ecu timeout without stops). The better sensors ($$$) seem to be uneffected.

Some cheap sensors seem to have poor turn off logic, essential for 5-10 year life. Again reviewers vary, probably based on use cases.

4. I have had some success with aftermarket installed by Costco. They currently use Dill REDI-Sensor: 7002A or 7007HP with an installed price of $60 per tire which would include a balance. Ebay sellers have these for $32. Add an install and balance and you would be close to Costco turnkey price.

IMG_2933.jpeg

5. Then there is Amazon Denso. Note the Amazon pic below does not show Pacific’s name.

IMG_2935.jpeg

The description clarifies no user programming of the sensor is needed. Amazon does have these and at least one reviewer reported raised embossed QR code and their pic showed the logo and Pacific.

6. Ebay pic of the Dill Redi 7002A and Toyota on issues:

Attached Files:

#2 rjparker, Sep 20, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
  3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have been using Dorman pre-programmed sensors for a while now, maybe a year or year and a half). The disadvantage of them so far is a blank sensor ID sticker, you need a tool capable of reading the ID from the sensor itself. (Go to the Dorman website and enter vehicle year make model and select TPMS sensor. I believe they also have blank sensors you can program with the Dorman tool I assume)…

EDIT- I take the part number and go buy it on Amazon…

4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I’m not sure if I’m just plain dumb and missed it prior, or Dorman started printing the IDs onto the sensors, but here’s a picture of the package contents for the model listed for our 2012 v. IMG_1288.jpg

It may be a good idea to verify if Dorman knows that your two model years take different sensors prior to purchasing.

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Most of Dorman’s sensors and the Autel MX are cloneable sensors. You use a proprietary tool to duplicate your car’s existing sensor ids. The Autel MX can be set for ID and for 315/433 frequency. Cloneables eliminate the need for multiple ecu scanners that can relearn/write a new ID. A plus for shops although there are single device relearn tools this days.

jzchen likes this.