Looking for Tire recommendations for my 2020 Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-Current)' started by Sablerock, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yeah, being able to eliminate the TPMS worry by having a set of all-weather tires year around can be an attractive solution for some who don't require dedicated snow tires. I considered Nokian WG3 and WG4 purchases for my PP, but I could not find Nokian tires at a reasonable price at that time. They were very expensive even when compared to buying a set of rims and Xi-3. Now, I already have a set of extra rims, and since I like to do the tire rotation and other routine maintenance (oil and filter change if required) twice a year at the time of winter change-over, I will keep swapping tires and wheels twice a year. Well, I have to schedule my first 6mo/5Kmile free Toyota Care service soon. The last I checked, their service appointment was back-logged for 6 weeks.

vvillovv likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Sand Pounder

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It is recommended to rotate the tires though, and swapping in winter tires achieves the same thing.

Depending on regs in your area, and OCD level, just not having TPMS sensors on your winter tires does an end run around the debacle.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Before I bought an extra set of rims to go with dedicated snow tires on the 2017 PP, I always had snow tires changed over on the same set of OEM rims twice a year which was free at a local tire shop where I bought the tires. No worry about TPMS resetting. The only thing is that I was at the mercy of the tire shop schedule. If the first early storm is imminent and I can't make an appointment, then I would have to stay home during the storm. Before that when I was living in a big city, I never bothered with snow tires. They plowed roads very quickly and I almost never had a problem with non-winter-rated all-season tires year around. But after having dedicated snow tires on and driving on snow cover roads, there is no doubt that having dedicated snow tires on the snow-covered roads is a safer choice than not having snow tires.

#23 Salamander_King, Oct 23, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah there's no way I would go that route: twice yearly tire shop visits, and all the wear-and-tear on the alloy rims [shudder].

5. Ovation

Ovation Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Winter tires are required from 1 December to 15 March in Quebec. The fines for not having them are VERY stiff (first time 300$ and double each subsequent time).

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Most years I wait till somewhere mid-November to put on our snows. This year though, I've put them on already, at least a week back now. My logic: I don't like working in the cold*, and when you're driving the car maybe once a week, it doesn't make much difference, lol.

* Besides just swapping the wheels, I like to roll the pulled-off wheels slowly out the driveway, checking for and prying out embedded stuff, sponge bath and wax them, wax the chromed stock nuts, and so on.

dbat23 likes this.
  7. Inspectorman

Inspectorman New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Also, one thing to consider is road noise. I subscribe to Consumer Reports and they have detailed tire information in their latest issue.

8. douglasjre

douglasjre Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That's the same rag that rated Porsche the second most reliable car made.....