1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Looking for used cars like your 2010 Prius . . . "

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Jun 25, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It seems auto dealers copy each other's fads. At one time, it was 'scratch off' to win something. This was followed by the fake key. The latest was the "We are looking for used cars like your <model year> Prius." . . .
    • Chevy dealer
    • Nissan dealer
    • Our Prius dealer
    I know, they are just trying to get us to come in so we might buy one of their new cars. But when someone tells me something patently false . . . it really puts me off. Yet there is one thing they could do that would work, at least for me:
    • list the technical changes since we bought our cars
    But in our case, we would ask, can we get a Prius hatchback with:
    1. Affordable collision avoidance? (Used to be ~$8-10k option)
    2. Can we order a 1kW inverter option for emergency house power?
    3. Can we order a tow package?
    I already know the answer but then Toyota seems selectively deaf to our communications. For example:
    1. Where is the Prius or hybrid mini-van? (The Prius v is at most, a wagon.)
    Bob Wilson

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You should be happy they gave us a plug in Bob. :rolleyes:

I think collision avoidance will make its way to all cars, but it is only now starting to show up in the step below luxury cars.
    Isn't there an emergency generator option for Prii in Japan?
    Does anybody offer a tow package for a non-truck/crossover in the US? I think HSD as some real technical limits when it comes to towing though. Anybody overseas, does the Prius have a tow rating in your country?

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just to clarify:
    1. The plug-in is interesting but not on my Christmas list. I would rather have a co-generation option.
    2. I'm seeing ads from competitors with collision avoidance and I am tempted even if it means giving up 52 MPG.
    3. Yes, there is an emergency generator option in Japan and the Estima had it too. As mentioned before, I would rather have a co-generation option.
    4. As for tow, the transaxle in our 1.8L hybrids is essentially the same parts as the highlander if the university video is accurate. Plus our 1.8L Prius has four-wheel disk brakes. All that is needed with the tow bar is a variable rear springs and trailer wiring and the problem is solved.
    We've got a dandy 1.8L Prius, once the latest brake accumulator recall is done. But there is so much more this car can do.

Bob Wilson

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is essentially the same parts. Note that the only hybrid Highlander or RX with a tow rating are the 4wd which have a second traction motor outside of the HSD. Plus they do have a larger ICE. The 2wd non hybrids have a tow rating, so it isn't a limit of the frame, and the V6 has a higher rating than the hybrid. Toyota is being conservative with towing with the HSD for a reason. GM was also conservative with two-mode by mating it up to their largest engine, instead of their more common and fuel efficient one.

If HSD was good for towing, Toyota wouldn't need to enter a partnership with Ford to develop a truck hybrid system.

I would like to see tow ratings and even packages on smaller cars. The Sonic has a rating of a thousand pounds plus more with a trailer braking system overseas. Here it is zero.