1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking fora concensus

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by marjflowers, Apr 12, 2006.

1. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Okay, so I have this precious new kitty who still doesn't seem to have a name. Here's the thing -- I really love the name Tiger Lily, and it fits her to a tee. BUT my cat who died 2 months ago was named Tiger Lily. They're both torties, but they're really nothing alike. I really like the name.

Here's the problem -- one of my closest friends went totally ballistic when I told her. At the time, it was just easier to go along with her to avoid her wrath. She thought naming one kitty after another one should send me straight to a shrink.

Actually, if I do name her this, she will be Tiger Lily III, and my dead Tiger Lily was named for a cat of my sisters. I've tried naming this kitty Susan B Anthony and Eleanor Roosevelt, which I both liked, but they just don't fit her.

SO... should I name her Tiger Lily, or is it just too weird?

Peace --

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Not really. It could be in memory of the original. When I lost my cat "Silver Belle," I named our kitten "Pewter Belle." Heck, I named the Prius "Blue Belle" for that reason.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I try out names on my puppies until one seems to fit.

Susan B. Anthony and Eleanor Roosevelt didn't fit. If Tiger Lily is her name, it's her name.

Besides, Leopard Lily and Puma Lily don't seem to have the same ring.

4. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would agree, go with whatever names seems to fit, even if it is a III.

It's not your friends kitty and by no means is your new kitty having the same is not indicative of mental health problems (from someone in the mental health field).

5. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <---- Isabella is a fine kitty name.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    maybe you could shorten it to lily?

7. priusblue

priusblue New Member

I have a torie too! We named her Sunny, although sometimes that doesn't exactly fit her disposition. Our vet told us torties tend to be moody. Have you found that to be the case?

I like tiger lily for a tortie. If it works for you, go with it - it's your cat! Anyway, if you have a cat you don't need to go to a shrink, right?

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When we adopted Nina, she was listed as "Gwen (also answers to Nina)". Well, as any cat parent knows, cats answer only to the sound of the food can. No self-respecting cat responds to a name no matter how cute it is.

But when we had Nina for only a few days we knew: she's a Nina. She's no Gwen.

So if her name's Tiger Lily, then that's her name. If you are going to have hang-ups over it, she won't notice or care.

9. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Apr 12 2006, 09:34 PM) [snapback]238850[/snapback]</div>
    heh cats and names... Tony your right no response from a cat on a name. Dont ask me why our cats name evolved the way it did but it went as follows Marcell- celly - cheddy - cheese - evil cheese... doesnt respond to any of them but just happened over the first 5 years we had him now its back to celly and cheddy dont know why and i am sure he doesnt care as long as he gets food and attention. :)

10. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When in doubt, choose all of the above. A cat can have many names, depending on what article of furniture it last destroyed or how loudly it purrs curled on a lap.

An old girlfriend's kitten stayed with me (smart cat!) when we parted ways; he came already named: Blue. 17 years later he's still with me (and not once in all that time has he offered to buy a food can - smart cat!). He's called Blue much of the time, but he's accumulated additional names over the years: he sheds eight times his weight in fur daily, so he's also known as "Mr. Lint Paws"; "Snoof" is on his resume as a name used when one can't decide what other name to use; calling him "The Lint That Ate Chicago" gains favor when the vacuum cleaner hasn't been used as often as it should, and so on.

So call your cat Tiger Lily serene in the knowledge that you'll be able to call her anything else the situation demands at the time.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I see this thread spinning into cute names for cats. In fact, here are just a few of the names Nina has been called:
    Nina
    Poodle (just like the way it sounds)
    Nina Poodle
    Nina Van Poopy Stinks
    Tater Baby
    Chunky Buns

God help us if she should ever learn English. :)

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    true, cats seem to acquire many names whether they're intended or not...

we have two. one's named darien (after a sailor moon character- it was DH's ex's idea) but we also call him little buddy, butthead, dopey... and i'm sure that gives a good enough idea of his personality. :lol: big friendly schizophrenic lug.

the other is ajax, who we call ajax, kittykitty, spooky, chicken, and he also answers to psst-psst-psst for some reason :lol: again, gives you an idea about him- super sensitive fraidy cat who likes to hide under the bed at the slightest perceived threat.

13. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  14. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    George Forman named all his sons George.

How bout Lilikoi?