1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking forward to more jammed freeways

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by isisdave, Sep 21, 2008.

1. isisdave

isisdave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Our Prius had only 1100 miles on it last week, all around town (moderately hilly, lots of 45mph roads with stoplights every 1/4 mile, and typical trip length of 5 miles or less) and we were averaging about 42mph which seemed fine, as it was twice what the Camry got under similar circumstances.

We drove to UCLA (190 miles round trip) and overall on that trip got about 52. Most of it was with cruise control at 65 or 70, depending on the size of the semi on our tail.

But the 405 from the 105 up to Wilshire, about 12 miles, was in its usual state: 45 mph but flowing smoothly, not much speed change. Got 62 on that little segment!

Also on this trip, we were introduced to the antilock brake system when braking only moderately on a thin layer of spilled sand. Other cars I've driven wouldn't have responded to this. The Prius interrupted braking (it felt like only on the rear, but I'm not sure) for about a half second.

2. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I kinda look forward to Rush hour slow-and-go traffic also, because I know I can jack my averge MPG way up.

That kind of driving condition will allow those who really understand what the Prius is capable of, and how to manipulate it, to drive extensively on No GAS. Which is what the Prius is about, right? That's what sets it apart from other cars.

Stealth, glide and regen for miles and miles, by exploiting hills and keeping the speed down, and leaving enough spacing with car in front, so you don't have to stop.
    Also a good time to have and EV swithch, to link those glides, with stealth operation that would otherwise no have been possible.
    I can change end-of-tank averages by 5 MPG or more in that kind of traffic, with 20-25 min averages well over 100 MPG.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My commute is mostly one-lane roads averaging speeds between 35 and 45 MPH.

I look forward to busy days because traffic is closer to 35 and I can stealth and glide for long distrances. But when traffic is too dense, I end up crawling at speeds below 10 MPH for long distances which drains the hybrid battery to the point that the ICE kicks in and runs.