1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking to buy a '05, few questions?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JustinGJ, Jul 14, 2007.

1. JustinGJ

JustinGJ New Member

Hey all, I'm sure you get sick of these "what's it worth" subjects, but it's hard to get info any other way. I think I can get a good deal on a silver '05, but just want to run it by you all first. Here's the basics.

I believe it's option package 4, it has foglamps, smart key, side cutrain bags, and HID lights as per the warning stickers on the rad support cover.

It has been wrecked when almost brand new, around 1k miles. The person who owns it now bought it at 6k, and the car is now at 34k, so any gremlins should have shown up by now.

Here's a few questions.

1: Doesn't the backup camera come on some of the lower option packages, or was this a stand alone option? This car is not equipped.

2: How white are the HID headlamps, and is it possible to install regular bulbs and bypass the HID? The headlamps sure didn't seem to "pop" on like I'm used to on the newer ford products with HID's I've driven. I'm wondering if the people that fixed it bypassed the cost and retrofitted halogen bulbs.

3: Tires are all worn on outside edges, as in low tire pressure. I'm assuming the shops he's had work done at (all toyota dealers) are setting it to factory 35ish psi. Is this a common deal at 35, I know some of you are running 40+ for mileage, how's the tire wear then?

4: On the subject of headlamps again, does the HID option include auto leveling headlamps in '05?

I'm sure I think of some more questions during the course of the weekend, but that's all I've got for now. I think I can get the car for $16k, pretty easily actually. It seems to be on the low end of retail for my area, you never see them for sale. Factory warranty is still in effect, I don't think it was a very bad accident. He mentioned that he was told it was one of those "if you total your new car we replace, not fix it" insurance plans. That all depends on if he and the person he bought it from are truthful. The car looks good, body lines are all ok, etc. Looked underneath, from what I could see, which isn't much, it looked straight. Has a rattle in the left front, not sure if that's common with these cars or not. I'm a tech at the local ford store, so even if it's not warrantable I can still get it done very cheaply. So, what does the community think? Thanks for any advice.

2. JustinGJ

JustinGJ New Member

Bump, c'mon you guys, you're supposed to be god among men when it comes to the prius, no love for the used cars? Lots of '07 stuff going on here, do you guys get rid of these things right away? Any reason why?

3. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have two 05s. :D

The backup camera did not show up until 07 models.

Not sure about a bypass but I think you have regular lights. Our HIDs "pop on" immediately when turned on. They are bright white.

I keep my tires at around 45-48 and have just the right wear (evenly across the entire tire). The tire recommends 44 max. My last tank of all city driving got me 715 miles on 10.5 gal.

Yes I believe I have auto-leveling but cannot be sure.

$16k seems a bit high for a Prius previously in an accident depending on how serious it was. I think the going rate of a pristine Prius 05 with about 35k miles is $18k. I would negotiate $14-15k. If it was a minor accident with cosmetic dmg only then I would get it at $16k.

4. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Justin J. @ Jul 14 2007, 09:57 PM) [snapback]478883[/snapback]</div>
    Justin,
    I just purchased a 2005 prius with 14137 miles on it for $14K. It was a salvage vehicle involved in a front end collision...went partially under a truck. All the damage is repaired...Mine has Navi, bluetooth,rev camera that shows up in the rearview mirror, Smart key, upgraded jbl speaker sys and 6 disc changer, alloy wheels. The only downside is that I have to get it inspected by the Georgia DMV.....even though it was inspected by the NC DMV for a final repair inspection. Between the time I have to wait to get the inspection and wait for the title to be mailed to me it will be 4 to 6 weeks. Oh well....the cost of buying a salvage and bringing it to a state that charges a church mouse tax when he steals a piece of cheese:)

I have read many threads on this site about problems with the HID lamps and/or circuit board for the HID's. Meaning that the lamps or the Printed Ckt Board (light computer) failed very prematurely. There are many of these. I can not tell you about how bright as I can not put miles on my car until I get the inspection from GA DMV.
    To this date I have not found anyone who successfully took thier HID's and converted to halogens on Prius Chat. My car's lights are auto leveling.

Is the noise in the front left possibly the whirring noise from a inverter coolant pump? I would take a closer look at the CV joints. Does it sound like a noise from the transmission? Is the car giving a code for traction problems? What codes are in the computer?

Most people here that get really great milage(50's) are keeping thier tires inflated near the limit for the tire.
    40 front 42 rear or 42/44. I am sure your vehicle has been kept near toyota recommendations for pressure and therefore the wear you speak of. I have read several threads that show people buying new tires(Low Rolling Resistance) near the 40K mile range. Do a search for new tire on this site under forums to see what people are using.

I believe the rev cam was only offered with pkg #5 or higher but that is MHO...I have not researched it yet.

Hope this helps.

D Rock

5. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

Justin, welcome to the forum!

It's worth $16,545 plus $150 for pre-purchase inspections in a private-party transaction.

We have an '05 and an '06, both with that year's highest option package.

'05 did not have a backup camera option.

The HID's are a little "warm" (yellow-ish), not as "cold/bright" (blue-ish) as I'd expect, but I would not rip them out. Even if they broke, I'd just fix them.

35 psi might be a little high to be causing both-edge tire wear. Then again, my dealer was setting them to 30 at first... a lot of dealers under-inflate everything in response to complaints about rough rides... that's how they got SUV's to take off, after all, by underinflating those big balloon tires til the soccer moms couldn't feel the road.

If you are even a tiny bit unsure about the truthiness of the seller, add to the usual used-car inspection a 4-wheel alignment check with printed report, and of course a carfax report.

6. JustinGJ

JustinGJ New Member

Thanks D Rock, the noise in the left front is a rattle, like a loose suspension component. The only reason I worry about the headlamps is the fact it was a rebuilder. I've figured out a couple different likely scenarios, neither that bad.

1. The car was rebuilt with factory parts off of another wrecked prius, and they used the rad support cover with the HID stickers, or

2. The car was rebuilt and they installed non HID headlamps and used the wiring that controls the HID ballasts to power the bulbs, my guess is the HIDs run off of the exact same wiring, and it's just a matter of maybe adding the correct connectors.

Thanks also to Bob, most of the inspection I've carried out myself, from what I can see of the front end I believe the rad support was replaced, maybe the front frame horns. Both front doors are factory, with yota vin stickers. I can see the tiniest bit of paint on the rubber parts near the front fenders, but nothing anywhere else. I'm guessing the hood, front fenders, and front bumper were the extent of the damage. This owner has put on over 25000 miles since the fix, so I'm not too concerned with a bad job.

I think I might try and get it for $15500, even if I get it for $16 I think I'm ok. With gas prices the way they're going I think I could drive it for 30k and still sell it for a decent amount of money.

7. JustinGJ

JustinGJ New Member

Jeez, called him today with an offer of 15.5k, and he tells me that he just put new tires on it and is having an alignment done. Not bad, except that I could have put tires on it myself much cheaper than he could have. It will be nice to have that alignment though, I'll be able to see if everything looks kosher suspension wise after the accident. He also got a quote for the slight damage on the right rear. Bad part is he's putting another $1200 into it, and wants that. I think if the allignment turns out ok I'll offer him 16.5k. This is getting a little more expensive, but honestly I'm looking to get a car so I don't have to work on it all the time, maybe I should actually stick with that thinking.

8. des101

des101 New Member

I have a few questions:

If you get a used Prius (regardless of year) does the battery warranty still apply?
    (if the car has under 100,000 miles on it)
    Do you have to get a car from a dealer to get that?

Why did all 3 cars on Craig's list have minor rear damage?
    Is that coincidence???

How reliable are used Pruis/ Priii??
    Are there any years to avoid? (This is a bit out of the '05 discussion but not that much).

Are 2006's really more than new ones? (Says so in the Blue Book!!)
    But that's just too nuts.

I know you are all Prius drivers but is there any reason to get a Honda instead? NO this is NOT
    a troll, I am asking a real question. I am not here to fight. ;-)

--des

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would not buy a Prius that had ever been in an accident more severe than a fender-bender. They are complicated machines, and IMHO there's too much stuff that can go undiagnosed and unrepaired, or get damaged just enough to later become intermittant and difficult to find.

10. anj48

anj48 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Justin J. @ Jul 17 2007, 08:23 PM) [snapback]480589[/snapback]</div>

I experienced tire wear on my 2005 similar to what you describe - it was due to an alignment issue.
    Go to http://john1701a.com/ and download his user guide for precise instructions regarding alignment. I followed this with good results (actually printed the page and gave it to the alignment tech) when I replaced my tires at 30K, now have 46K. So you may want to look at the alignment specs or possibly have it done again if you buy - I am of the belief that alignment is a critical issue with the Prius - both in terms of tire wear and handling.

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    des,

I believe (but do not know) that the factory warranty transfers to the new owner.

The exterior is either plastic or thin metal. Doesn't take much to cause minor damage. Plastic bumper covers don't hold up well on any make. This is not just a Prius problem. My Prius is a chip and scratch magnet. Given what I know today I wouldn't have taken the car off the lot without a 3M or Venture Shield clear bra.

The Prius is very reliable. Taxi fleets report vehicles with 200,000+ miles without major repairs.

There aren't many 2007's in inventory around here. If you want a Prius NOW you may very well pay top dollar for a used one. BTW, you won't find many more used ones either. As you may have noticed we love our cars and tend to part with them for a newer model or due to a collision.

I believe Honda is licensing Toyota's drivetrain. Look at what is available and come to your own conclusions.

12. des101

des101 New Member

I heard they were now making more of them for the demand, but there was awhile when the
    price of gas went down a few cents and they were really stocked up.
    I don't want anything NOW. I don't buy things like that, esp. not cars. I can wait.

Too bad re the bumpers, but I understand that is new design that bumpers absorb damage
    and don't just jerk around like those of us with "ye olde cars" are used to. Therefore the
    bumpers do get damaged easily (or does that excuse this??).

I was guessing, and I guess was right, that 3 cars on craig's list was a good no.?
    But except for one of them, I would not have bought any of them. One was a 91, and I
    don't think I want a 91. And one had more substantial rear damage. The other had minor
    damage-- like a fender bender, so that wouldn't be out of the question,imo.

It was my understanding that: a. the Honda handles the battery issue differently.
    b. that does not quite get as good mileage (generally) c. that is marginally cheaper, depending
    on the model of course. d. The Prius gets marginally better reviews.
    e. Firefox does not think I spell Honda wrong but thinks there is something odd with the
    way I spell Prius, but I digress.

Thanks,

--des

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jul 18 2007, 09:18 PM) [snapback]481326[/snapback]</div>

13. JustinGJ

JustinGJ New Member

Thanks for the help all, decided to go a different direction with a new car, picked up a brand new Focus for the same price as the Prius. Truth be told the prius just isn't quite sporty enough for me, maybe when I get a little older it'll work out better. Until then I can go some more years rowing my own gears, which is the only way to go with the small displacement engines in my opinion. Nothing against the prius at all, they're still a cool car. Thanks again for the info, hopefully others got a little out of it too.