1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking to buy a new/lightly used Gen 2 battery in the southeast! Or someone's old core.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jagdepanzer, May 6, 2024.

1. Jagdepanzer

Jagdepanzer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone! I have a 2008 Prius that has a failing hybrid battery unfortunately. It's put me in real bad spot while in school. I'm hoping to find a OEM battery that's either new or beat for a core.

I live in Florida but would be willing to pickup as far north as North Carolina or as far west as Mississippi.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm in Carolina . I will chk in next two days I believe I got something for you . In 27243. My numbers on my profile

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You should also be able to walk into any junkyard in any city in Florida or one of the better junk yards in the given city in Florida where you are and buy a core battery for 75 to 150 bucks tops with no expectation for it to work or anything it's just some junk out of a car with the cover on it probably the plug still in it safety plug and what have you shouldn't be an issue another place to check is those hybrid battery repair stations or the people that drive all around putting in hybrid batteries in the backs of cars If you go to their shops you'll see these things stacked up ready to go to the dump they have so much of these things that they don't even save the pieces and parts anymore I'm sure for the same amount of money possibly a little less they'll hook you up with a junker that you can use for your core.

4. Jagdepanzer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your recommendation! I have worked on cars for quite a bit of time and have a decent t bit of knowledge on how to source things, but this specifically has been really stressing me out. For some reason I didn't think of reaching out to a recycler for a core. I picked one up last week for $100. You helped alleviate lots of my stress!

Tombukt2 likes this.
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you don't ask it can't happen for sure.

6. fragglestickcar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't understand how that helps OP who already has a used-up battery to retrieve his 1350 core deposit should he ever find a dealer whose OEM price is low enough. As for sourcing a "new or lightly used Gen 2" from a private party, that's probably as hard to find as a parking spot in the Greenwich Village at 10pm on a Friday night.

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have 3

8. fragglestickcar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Name your price.

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I find them in tow lots all the time someone just had the battery replaced and then the break actuator goes out and we're not fixing anymore people say it all the time car goes to the tow lot they call me they have a Prius I go look at it by the whole car take what I want off of it.

10. fragglestickcar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I call bs. I don't believe someone would just forget the residual value of a new hybrid battery, and I'm even more skeptical the junkyard wouldn't attempt to pull the battery. Those things are practically gold and people, especially a junkyard operator, know it.

11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Perhaps in your neck of the woods, but there are also salvage yards that DO NOT want to deal with the hassles of hybrid batteries. I was buying them by the pallet a couple years ago. The yard removes them from the car during processing due to the liability of someone electrocuting themselves, stick them on a pallet. Went to one in Indiana a handful of years ago (pre-covid) that must have had 30 on the shelf and couldn't get rid of them.

fragglestickcar likes this.
  12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This is all happening at tow lots. The cars haven't made it to the junkyard yet anyway That's how I generally get them I just got two the other week. Sometimes I buy the whole car sometimes just a carload of parts just depends but it happens The car breaks down and the people aren't where they can pull the battery out and take it with them they're walking or something who knows I don't know every situation for all of these things but that's how I've gotten quite a few on the newer side of hybrid batteries like I say two of them look like they were just installed I didn't run the QR codes or whatever but they're fairly new so I'll take it.

fragglestickcar likes this.
  13. Jagdepanzer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't include in the post, but my battery is aftermarket so I needed to find an OEM one for the core.