1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking to Buy a Pris

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ESanders2, Mar 28, 2007.

1. ESanders2

ESanders2 New Member

I'm over here in the middle east right now on deployment. My wife is turning in our SUV tomorrow (a lease), ending our lease early b/c of the high gas prices in California (closing in on 3.50 a gallon for regular). It's a Murano and gets about 19MPG average city/highway...PLUS it takes Premium which is selling at close to 4.00 a gallon! So basically I'm tired of pumping nearly $300 a month of gas into that car. We are looking at replacement options and have pretty much settled on the Prius unless I change my mind. Right now I'm trying to figure out whether I should buy/lease, and what package or year I should look for.

I wanted to get some advice from all of you owners on what you think. If we do buy, I'm thinking about picking up on 06 with less than 10K miles, but I can't decide whether to go all out and get a package 6 or just get a package 3 or 4. There seems to be about an 8K range in pricing from 22K up to 29 or 30K for the higher models. Are the extras really worth the extra 6 or 7K from those who have them? I'm thinking that the upgraded sound/MP3 would at least be nice. How does this compare to the base sound system?

Anyway, I'm trying to figure this out so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SandMan @ Mar 28 2007, 05:52 PM) [snapback]413875[/snapback]</div>
    If your wife is willing to drive a bit to get the car ... have her call Maita Toyota of Sacramento. Last weekend, they ran a special on 5 non-touring Prius' with Package #6 for $1500 under invoice (i.e., $25,770).

On Saturday after I bought mine, there were two left ... one in white, and one in green. If they are still there, they should still give you the sale price -- they were reduced because the delaer was beginning to take a hit on holdback, etc.

When she calls, have her talk to Curt Troupe in sales. He's good people.

Good luck on your purchase.

Also, good luck and God's speed in your duties. We all appreciate you!!

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(snowdog650 @ Mar 28 2007, 06:57 PM) [snapback]413901[/snapback]</div>

Those lying bastards! They told me that they could only go $500 under invoice. I bought a white one for $26,529 last month. Its a very nice car though. :)

4. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Not sure where you are located in the Bay area. We were in Menlo Park until recently. I assume you or your wife won't be needing HOV stickers so you should be able to get a good deal on either a used or new Prius right now. We just bought a 07 Package 5 and were offered invoice price from Magnussen in Palo Alto when we talked with the Costco contact. I believe other dealers are similar but with gas prices going up, their inventory is going down. If you're looking for a used one, suggest you look at craigslist.com or carsdirect.com to see what they are selling for. Watch out for used ones with HOV stickers since they bring a premium. Regarding the extra's, my wife loves the upgraded sound system and the Navigation system but we decided we didn't want leather seats. Will you be returnining in time to make the purchase or will your wife need to do it? There are a lot of knowledgeable & helpful Bay Area folks on this site so I'm sure you'll get lots of help.

5. Skynight

Skynight New Member

MIDDLESBORO, KY (SE KY, WHERE KY, TN., AND VA. MEE
    Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thank you for your service...

We bought a used '05 with nav and bluetooth. We just traded it for a new '07 pkg. 6. It has all the toys! I really like the voice commands for temp...changing the radio from am/fm/cd, and the gps nav screen is great. If you like extras...and if you will use them...go for if you can afford it. I am a bit of a gadget freak, so it was easy for us to decide...
    john/teresa

6. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Isn't there one offered for sale on PriusChat with California HOV stickers included? If I run across it, I will come back here and edit, else do a seach on sale Prius or Sell Prius.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Around here finding a used one is tough. Checking the inventory of 3 local dealers there are a total of 34 new and 3 used. Used prices tend to be high so buying a new one may make more sense. There is still a tax credit available on the new one that you may qalify for. Hope you find exactly what you are looking for.

8. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    thank you for serving your country.

which package you get depends on the nature of your driving - long/short trips, how much you want the navigation system, upgraded sound system, etc.

i get along just fine with a basic package.

my last tank was 420 something miles, about 8.5 gallons... which is why i got the car in the first place, beats the heck out of the 17 or so mpg i received from my jeep

9. ESanders2

ESanders2 New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I'll be over here until mid-May. I'd like to wait until I get back to buy, but I don't want to have to get on a waiting list to buy one either. I'm just going to wait and see how things go...right now there's plenty of new and used Prius out there. Plus, if we go through Costco, we can always get one for 500 over invoice. That's a good price, right? I'd love to jump on a 2500 under invoice deal, but don't think that's going to be around long.

Did any of you lease your Prius? I am leaning toward a purchase, I just don't want the payment to be astronomical. I think a lease would be around 350/month. A purchase would be just over 400/month with a mid-level package and 72 month financing. Hopefully.

As far as that audio goes, how do (those who have it) like the JBL system? A big improvement over a normal car speaker system? That's really the only toy I think we'd just all that much.

10. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SandMan @ Mar 28 2007, 08:48 PM) [snapback]413949[/snapback]</div>
    1. I used to have a VW GTI with the Monsoon sound system ... which I thought was one of the best sounding factory stereo systems I had heard. The JBL system blows it away. You will hear some people here complain about 'buzzing' or 'muffling' from the middle dash speaker ... but I don't hear it. I think the system sounds great ... especially with the AUX hook-up for my iPod neatly hidden in the center console.

2. Don't know if the offer will be around in May, but right now they are offering 2.9% APR for up to 60 months on Prius financing. You should really try to finance for 5 years to get that rate.

Be safe.

11. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(snowdog650 @ Mar 28 2007, 11:28 PM) [snapback]414012[/snapback]</div>
    I second the above comment on the JBL system. My GF has a 2001 Avalon with the JBL system and the Prius system sounds about the same with the exception that the bass response is not quite as good (the Avalon has a Subwoofer, the Prius doesn't) It sounds very nice with the music that I listen to.

Toyota was offering some special lease rates on the Prius, but I don't remember the details because I wasn't considering a lease. The 2.9% on a 60mo is a very good rate.