1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

looking to buy a prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sunshyne, Apr 30, 2006.

1. sunshyne

sunshyne New Member

i'm looking to buy a prius in a few weeks

do you any of you have any tips on how to work with the dealer
    or negotiating a price?
    i've been checking local dealerships online to see who has prius
    on their lot and the prices and packages

i also wanted to know what the difference is between the smart key
    and the keyless entry and the other alarm system.

and i'd really appreciate it if you could point me in the right forum to find out
    how to use the settings and things to get the best gas mileage

i have a pretty short commute to work about 5 1/2 miles
    but there is traffic and it's entirely highway

i have found some really good information here, just need a little on how to sift through
    everything :)

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's generally accepted that you shouldn't pay anything more than MSRP, but *also* that it is quite rare to pay anything less than MSRP. There are certain geographic areas (i.e. DC-area Virginia) where people have gotten less than MSRP, but it's still pretty rare in most places.

Smart key is a feature that is built into the remote that comes with the car. Basically, it ensures that you never have to take the "key" out of your pocket. You just touch the inside of the door handle and the car unlocks. You sit down in the car, push the power button, and it starts. Very cool. The alarm is independent of the smart key, I believe. Basically, it works like any car alarm.

I should say that your commute (5 1/2 miles) is probably not the best for getting the really great mileage that the Prius is capable of providing. Basically, the first 5-10 minutes that the car is running, it tends to not get the best mileage. This effect will be most noticable in the winter, but will definately pull down the mileage on short trips. Of course, this is true (to at least some extent) for all cars; you just notice it more on the Prius.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You're already checking online, that's good. Some dealers allow you to check inventory online so you can find a package and color you like. If you're not so picky, you'll find a car faster.

I would contact the interenet sales manager through e-mail. You can usually do that through the dealer's website. I've found the internet sales managers are a lot nicer, better to deal with, etc.

Don't pay over MSRP. Don't accept add ons like lo-jack, etching etc. unless it is something you really want. Be specific up front you will not pay for them. And don't buy an extended warranty unless you want one AND they can meet Troy's price of $990 for the 7/100,000. Don't mention Priuschat or Troy. Just say if they can't meet that price, you know someone who can.

I got my salesman to throw in a cargo tote.

4. Ed Vatza

Ed Vatza New Member

I have to agree with what has been said above. Dealers in this area seem to be firm on MSRP. Definitely don't give in to an over MSRP. Also I have generally found that any Priuses on the lot are already spoken for. Often there is a wait. For example, we ordered in February and took delivery in April. Things may be different in N.O.

The first couple of miles are generally the worst for mpg. After five minutes or so of driving the mpg starts to pick up. I am still on my first tank of gas and am averaging 49 mpg but my first 5 minute average is probably around 30 mpg. Just something to think about.

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 30 2006, 07:03 PM) [snapback]247677[/snapback]</div>
    I thought I heard something about the standard Toyota 7/100K warranty not being in effect in the SE states. Is this true and, if so, do the "SE states" include LA?

6. BoosPrius

BoosPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sunshyne @ Apr 30 2006, 05:46 PM) [snapback]247674[/snapback]</div>

I there, I'm from Mandeville. Bot my 2006 Prius from Northshore Toyota one month ago. I suggest that you don't limit yourself to just dealerships in the immediate New Orleans area. Check also in Houma, Hammond, Slidell, and Mandeville. Also, if you go to Toyota's web site and do a Build Your Prius (you don't have to buy), at the end of the process, the site will give you a list of dealerships within about 50 to 100 miles. I know Northshore Toyota's web page will show you which Priuses are in stock or available in the area. Good luck.

Gary

7. momfortheenvironment

really depends where you are, I'm between two toyota dealerships, one had nothing on their lot and the other always has a few, whether its the package and color you want is another story, but I also know they swap because they have some inventory. I'm in NH. It does depend how picky you want to be about color. Also one dealership goes with the toyota packages, the other does to and then does some addons so I don't go back there.

8. LaniLobes

LaniLobes New Member

Our strategy was to find a second hand prius with less than 5000 kms on the clock and use that as leverage over the new car sales man.

In the end we got about $5k off the price and free reversing camera, window tint, and on road costs (rego, stamp duty etc).

It also helps to have your cheque book handy so that the deal knows you are keen to deal. We actually started writing the cheque out (with the value that was $2k below what the dealer wanted) before he agreed. It was good motivation for him to take it and know that he has a sale.

Good luck!

Lani

9. sunshyne

sunshyne New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BayouBulldog @ Apr 30 2006, 08:26 PM) [snapback]247719[/snapback]</div>

did you have to order yours?
    i've checked their website and they don't usually have any on their lot
    i've checked all the local dealers in covington, metairie, new orleans, and slidell.
    i don't know zip codes for hammond or baton rouge so i haven't been able to check there

i'm not picky on colour or package either.
    just want the airbags, cd player, a/c and alarm

one of the dealers i found has a prius for 24k
    but it has all sorts of warranties on it
    like one for tires, and 6k warranty and some other kind of warranty

are there any specific warranties or other add- ons that i should get?
    when contacting the internet sales manager what should questions should i ask?

i'm really new to buying cars, whenever i get my car, it'll be my first (i'm 19)

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Consumer Reports has lots of good advice on car buying. Go here http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars.htm and find the links under the "Buying a car" heading.

Remeber that you have the money, therefore you are in control. I bought mine by deciding which option package I wanted, calling seven local dealers and getting the two or three best offers faxed to me, then seeing whether I could use one to lower another. Saves a lot of bother compared to running around and sitting in sales chambers.

11. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 30 2006, 06:03 PM) [snapback]247677[/snapback]</div>
    First off, good luck with your search. I have been doing this for a couple of weeks until I finally got up and scheduled an appointment. Definitely go with the internet sales managers....I had a great experience. The guy was there waiting for me and I was 10 min early. Unfortunately, the only one that I could buy right then had way too many options that I wanted....package 8 i believe.

I ended up ordering one with everything that I wanted and was told it should be here within 3 weeks but most likely no longer than 4. I even got $100 off the msrp, which I was glad because of reading all the posts about overcharges. So Definitely don't pay any extra for the car.

The dealership that I went to was Toyota of Richardson. You are in the New Orleans area so it wouldn't be that rough to perhaps purchase one with them and go pick it up. Plus, you get the drive home to "play" with your new purchase. This is, of course, you are unable to find something in your area. If they are not willing to play ball then, get a test drive out of them, see what you think and then order one. :) Anyway, good luck to you.