1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking to buy a used hybrid battery, need some advice!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MashinA, Sep 4, 2013.

1. MashinA

MashinA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys so i need to buy a hybrid battery for my 07 prius since mine keeps going bad after spending money on fixing it a couple of times. A friend of mine says he has a battery from a wrecked prius that has around 30k miles on it. My question is what should i look for in a used battery, i know this one has been sitting for several months not being used, is that bad for it? Any other questions i should ask before purchasing? He only wants $350 for it so it seems like a good deal.
    I would appreciate your input as i am pretty new to this. Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it from a gen II? it's probably fine, but the only way to be sure, (other than installing it) would be to test each individual cell.

3. MashinA

MashinA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yes its fro ma gen II. As far as testing every cell, how many cells are in there?

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My advise considering what you say there ,is that if you don't know what you're doing when dealing with 200+ volts of DC battery, is to LEAVE IT ALONE and let someone who is trained deal with it.

Get it wrong and the battery can kill you.

5. MashinA

MashinA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    im not installing it myself....i meant as far as advice on what to look and ask for in a used hybrid battery.

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's ok then :)

I do worry when you see people ask questions about stripping the battery and then add they're not sure what they're doing (there's been many posts in the past). There are many safe guards in the battery but it can still be dangerous.

Hope you get your car sorted.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The main thing to look or as far as your concerned is obvious external damage dents ect also water damage (stored outside). There is little else that is safe fore a none electrically competent person to do. As GC said this battery has the ability to kill, this is not being alarmist just the truth. The chances are that if this battery was in a working Prius then it will be fine.

John (Britprius)

8. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    HV Battery Replacement Options

I have a 2007 Prius Touring with 127,000 miles and no sign of problems with HV battery. There's no exact answer. I suggest visiting Luscious Garage website. They are awesome. Luscious Garage | Blog | Gen 2 Prius HV Battery Replacement P0A80

They work in California on a lot of Hybrids and especially high mileage Prius taxis. The link is their blog about the HV Battery Pack dependability and replacement options. Read the link long-winded discussion too.

They have great blogs on many Prius Service issues: Inverter Water Pump, Intermediate Steering Shaft, etc. You may have a free Warranty Replacement you didn't know about.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i forget, maybe 150 prox.? generally, when a battery goes bad, it's because one or two cells have dropped below tolorence levels. when they are identified, they can be replaced and balanced with the other cells. this is a bit time intensive and some have in the short term) had success just replacing the bad cells with good ones and not bothering to balance them.

10. sportcoupe

sportcoupe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are 28, 7.2v cells in a Prius HV battery pack.

tai_prius05 likes this.
  11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There are 168 cells in the battery, these are arranged in groups of 6 that make up a single module. The modules are paired for monitoring by the Prius systems giving 14.4 volts and there are 14 module pairs or 28 individual modules giving an output of 201.6 volts depending on the level of charge.

John (Britprius)

tai_prius05 likes this.
  12. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
  13. sportcoupe

sportcoupe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You know what I meant. Call it a module, cell, battery, whatever, there are 28 of them. Each one is 7.2v

14. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I think everyone's contribution is appreciated. Using accurate terminology with these more technical aspects I think is important so we can more easily communicate using the same word meanings. Experts here like John and some others are much appreciated. Most of the rest of us are in a learning process about our unique car and benefit from all the input. This group is nearly as great as the car.

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It is important that the correct terminology is used and we are all reading from the same book. If I tell someone to charge the cells to 7.2 volts this could easily be translated into charge the module to 43.2 volts (6 x 7.2), thus destroying that persons module and maybe even causing a fire. The OP asked a question and you gave the wrong information, although I am sure that was not your intention. The OP would not know this information was wrong.

John (Britprius)

16. sportcoupe

sportcoupe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Point is if the OP opened up the HV pack he would find 28 batteries inside. That's exactly what he/she was asking. Of course each battery has 6 individual cells in it but they are invisible to the mechanic. I appreciate the correction on the incorrect use of the term "cell".