1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking to buy a used prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by urbjhawk21, Jun 18, 2013.

1. urbjhawk21

urbjhawk21 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

I'm new here and trying to find a good used prius. I currently drive an 03 Ram 1500 pickup and just can't afford the gas any more. I'm selling the truck to my friend for $12,000 and would like to find a Prius for about that much.

I found a 2007 Prius with 44,000 miles at a dealer and the list price is $12,000. The only issue is that the carfax shows 3 accidents, one of which the airbags deployed. Would that be a deal breaker even if it's been fully repaired? I'd like to get a prius with a couple years or so left on the hybrid warranty, but at that price point it seems like I'm going to have to find ones with some hair on them so to speak.

Thanks!

2. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this a Toyota Dealer and is the car Toyota Certified? If they are and it's not, that should be all the info you need.

dorunron and HaroldW like this.
  3. urbjhawk21

urbjhawk21 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also have a quick follow up question: is age or mileage more important when it comes to the life of the battery? I could try to find an older vehicle with less mileage or a newer one with more mileage or try to find a good balance between.

4. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Very hot climates and maybe mountainous terrain can affect the packs? Prius hybrid system however is very reliable! :) H

5. Riaz

Riaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Based on what I've read of others' experiences I think age is more important than mileage for the Nickel metal hydride traction battery in the gen 2 Prius, provided that the milage isn't exorbitantly high. I bought an 06 with 180k miles...currently at 190k with no signs of hybrid battery failure. I think any Prius 2006 or later with less than 100k miles is a safe bet provided it wasn't in a major accident or was neglected routine maintenance.

xpcman likes this.
  6. urbjhawk21

urbjhawk21 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the help thus far. I think I may have found a winner. The best part is it is located in my town. It is a 2006 with 98k miles listed at $11k. I'm looking at the service records and the hybrid battery was replaced about a year ago and the water pump was replaced 2.5 years ago. It also has a new timing chain on it. It's a little bit older than I was hoping for, but with the relatively new battery I think it could be a good deal. I'm going to see if I can take it over to the local Toyota dealership to have them do a pre-purchase inspection. What do you guys think?

7. Riaz

Riaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Be sure to have it thoroughly inspected. Seems odd to me that the timing chain had to be replaced with less than 100k miles...unless it was just done as preventative maintenance. If the chain was replaced because of a fault with it, then it could be an indicator that the car was driven very aggressively by the previous owner...in which case there may be other premature engine and drivetrain wear.

The 1NZ engine used in the Prius (and many other Toyota cars) is very reliable and for normal operation the timing chain should pretty much last the lifetime of the engine...especially so for the Prius since the RPM is limited.

8. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You'd be out of your flipping mind to replace the timing chain as preventative maintenance. There are just too many parts to remove to even get to the timing chain. So many ways to make a mistake. And for what - piece of mind?

The OP needs to buy a Prius from a Toyota dealership and get all the maintenance records printed out at the time he buys it if it had been serviced by Toyota.

12 large is still serious dough. He shouldn't gamble on a Prius that has been in one or more accidents or one with unusual mechanical repairs like a timing chain before 98K miles.

9. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm thinking an '06 for $11k is a little pricey. Add to that the timing chain replacement and 98k miles and I'd say red flag it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not that concerned about the 98k miles (the '05 I bought for my wife had 108k miles on it), but with the timing chain having been replaced it sounds like it may have been pushed hard. I wouldn't pay more than about $9500 for the vehicle you've described...and be sure to have that inspection done!

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Let me suggest:
    1. Survey completed Ebay, Prius sales - in a couple of hours, you can map model year, miles, and title type for different Prius. This is the current, market price, of Prius.
    2. Choose late model year Prius over earlier model - 2004-09, go for 2009 over 2008, 2008 over 2007, e.t.c.
    3. Prius warranty outside of CARB states - 3/36k (engine), 6/60k (drive train), and 8/100k (?) hybrid system. Personally, I don't see the 3/36k as having much value, it is for infantile problems. There is a distinct price drop around 6/60k.
    4. 1.5L vs 1.8L - a used, 2010-current Prius is going to have a substantially improved drive train BUT the first 87,000 in North America are getting a safety recall that replaces the brake assembly. However, it is larger and more power if you plan to put a tow hitch on it. The 1.5L is no slouch but the 1.8L does everything with some substantially improved systems.
    5. GOOD, FAST, CHEAP - pick two. I took 30-60 days and was able to get a quality Prius for about $1-2,000 off the 'going rate.'
    6. Budget maintenance manual(s), $300-500, and Prius-aware scanner $35-500 - this means you can tell what is broke before taking it to a mechanic.
    We bought two Prius:
    • 2003 Prius, 49k miles, Oct. 2005 - lost my commuting car end in an accident then end of August. Shopped for ~three weeks before finding a good deal and flying out (had a 'bump' ticket) to drive it back.
    • 2010 Prius, new, May 2009 - rare opportunity and had about 30 days to decide (was at 55-45 for buy and could have gone either way). A first model year, we've had already one brake recall (software patch) and are waiting on the brake assembly recall (no cost but loss of service.) You may find one of these available if you can 'look around.'
    If you find a 2001-03 Prius, please read:

Who should and should NOT buy a 2001-03 Prius | PriusChat

We still have our 2003 Prius and recently got ~750 miles from a single tank in city commuting. But then I've put 110,000 miles on that car and done a few 'tweaks.' But if I had to buy a used Prius, I would choose a 2004-09 first, even with a salvage title. If one fell in my budget, I would strongly look at 2010-current first because of what we know about the improved 1.8L engine and cold weather performance but remember to pick two from: GOOD, FAST, CHEAP.

Bob Wilson

urbjhawk21 and dorunron like this.
  11. urbjhawk21

urbjhawk21 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK so I found one at a Toyota dealership about 3 hours away that I'm probably going to buy. It's a 2008 with 106k miles. The car was bought new at this dealership and was traded in for a new Prius there. The carfax is clean and the owner did all recommended maintenance every 3k miles at this same dealership. It is fully loaded with leather and they are asking $10,800 which sounds like a good deal. They said it's been sitting on the lot for 60 days so they are anxious to get it sold. My question is this: do I still need to take it to a mechanic to get it inspected if it's from an actual Toyota dealership? It's 3 hours away so it might be a little harder to arrange.

bwilson4web likes this.
  12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You are going into 'negotiations' so let me suggest:
    1. Have your money ready to go but show . . . a willing to walk out the door.
    2. Check the tires by feeling the inside tread on all four wheels for abnormal wear. Assume you are going to replace them within a short time but this is 'for show.'
    3. Ask if the inverter pump was replaced.
      • Get a list of all Toyota recalls (folks here can help) and have a hard copy to compare against their records.
    Double check against Ebay completed listings but that sounds about right and a price 'to move it.' I don't think a mechanic makes a bit of difference on this car.

Plan to do the following:
    • ScangaugeII or something like it - about $150, it can be both your driving guide and car OBD scanner. Folks here can help.
    • Replace the tires - if they are not Sumitomo T4s (a common Toyota replacement part) expect to upgrade the rubber within the first year. You will need a wheel alignment before the replacement (perhaps the dealer will provide one with the printed results?)
    • "Smile like the cat that got the canary."
    Bob Wilson

urbjhawk21 likes this.
  13. urbjhawk21

urbjhawk21 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

You're awesome. Thanks for all the help.

14. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Further, I would not let them know you are driving 3 hours for it. They would (rightly) assume you are committed. And don't be committed. Come with your own cash, or financing. I bet you can get them under 10. Check their website. A lot of dealerships post web prices lower than lot prices. Also, check other places like craigslist, etc. to see if they have posted it there. sometimes they will post it lower in other places. Take the lowest posted price as a starting point.

Post back with pics, etc. and let us know how it went.