1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking to buy my first prius! Help me pick a trim!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by juhjuhjuhjames, Apr 28, 2018.

1. juhjuhjuhjames

juhjuhjuhjames Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hey everyone, excited to be here!

My old Subaru seems to be on its last legs and I feel like it's time to upgrade to a car with modern amenities

I've pretty much narrowed it down to a 2016/17 model (based on looks and price) and I was hoping for some input when it comes to model/trim! I've done some research, and it seems like the main difference of years are the safety features that are standard in 2017 were just optional in the 2016?

I'm exclusively looking for CPO ones, and either a three or four model. I guess my main questions are:
    1) Would you rather get a 2017 three, or a 2016 four?
    2) after looking around, I found a 2016 four touring with 18k miles for ~24k, 2017 three touring with 8k miles for ~25k. both with similar features. I do have a budget, so I was wondering if the 2017 is worth it to stretch it a bit, or would I be completely satisfied with the 2016?

Thank you!

#1 juhjuhjuhjames, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Sommer86 likes this.
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about the model equipment in USA, but 2 things I really love about my 2016 are RADAR Cruise (DRCC) and Heads-up Display (HUD.

Some don't have a spare wheel - if that's a consideration for you, check if it does.

3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like Alan says, find out what the spec differences are and make a choice on what you would prefer to get and what you wouldn't mind not having. Bottom line, it's generally better to get the latter model for the extra year's warranty of you're going to keep it a good while. Oh, and before I forget - welcome to Prius Chat sir.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  4. juhjuhjuhjames

juhjuhjuhjames Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    They both have the DRCC but I guess the HUD isn't available on touring models. Neither is the sun roof. I kinda wanted both options but the sacrifice for the touring model and both having heated seats is a fine trade off for me.

They're pretty much identical in the features that I wanted. TSS, heated seats, black interior, toyota CPO. The 2016 is white (which I personally like better but not a deal breaker) and the 2017 is silver and $2000 more (I mistyped in the original post).

Honestly, I think I'm just looking for some affirmation that the 2016 is a good buy over a newer model, even if it's just saving a couple grand. Thank you!

5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you drive both - do they both drive well. There possibly (??) were some minor running changes to 2017 manufacture, but I'd not think that was a deal breaker. Both in good condition? Both with good history (ie not a rental) and well serviced?

RCO likes this.
  6. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really there's not a great deal in it and you'd be happy with either one. The silver dosn't show the dirt as badly as the white one would.... just saying!

alanclarkeau likes this.
  7. GRich

GRich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I personally think the 3 is a little high I paid 25k for mine new 8miles on it a 2017.2 3 touring. And that was with the Toyota clear hood and bumper paint protector.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. stephensprius

stephensprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Good luck with your purchase and post a photo when you get it!

9. daikim73

daikim73 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    when I bought my 2017 4 touring, I had the same dilemma as you although I was choosing 2017 4 touring or 3 touring.
    3 touring has the spare but 4 touring has heated seats.
    dealer thought 3 touring also had heated seats but it doesn't.
    wife wanted heated seats so went with 4 touring but I do wish it had the spare.

RCO likes this.
  10. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Guess you made the wisest choice, the other one leads to misery. Welcome to Prius Chat. ;)

Since2002 likes this.