1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking to drive into a deal

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Drac, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Drac

Drac New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I live in NW Indiana. I currently own a 2010 Sonata. I have been looking to get a hybrid. I was about sold on leasing a Honda Insight, disappointed that the Prius was so pricey compared to the Insight and Hyundai Ioniq.

I happened upon this forum and it has broadened my horizons. I'm now looking at the possibility of driving 400+ miles to the nearest NE US dealer that offers the current $4000 Toyota rebate on a Prius Prime Premium. Which would bring the $30,000 car down to a more manageable $26,000.

I am looking for advice on what to expect in a long distance negotiation. From what I've read in other posts, I may not have much wiggle room for haggling. Which, frankly, I'm not very good at anyway. Are there any tips from Prime owners who have been in a similar situation? Maybe an approach that you found successful in your phone negotiations?

Any tips from the rest of the community are welcome. Including what to expect on a lengthy drive home. Potentially, you know, if this should work out.

2. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you tried buying a car through Costco? I think you get the price set from an individual dealer.

3. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The best leverage in hagling is to be fully prepared to walk away from the deal. If you have that in the core of your being before you cross the dealer's threshold, they will smell it on you and the whole game is played differently. Short of that there is no way to get a good deal on a new car. By the time you get it home it will have lost 20% of what you paid for it.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    go to the prime pricing thread. lots of great advice from people who have purchased remotely, and the latest northeast pricing and rebates.

all the best!(y)

5. Drac

Drac New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    @Skibob, I'm not a Costco member and I don't think we have any around here. I've tried Truecar recently and it left many things to be desired. Thank you for the advice though!

@VFerdman and @bisco, I've got an uphill battle either way, but these forums have been a tremendous help in prepping me for my phone call with a dealer. I think I'll take a shot at it. I'm not under any real purchasing pressure except not knowing when Toyota's rebate will expire. Other than that it is the first of the year. I suppose that gives me some leeway in "walking away" if they really want to make a sale before the end of the year.

6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @bwilson4web bought a Prime Plus long distance. Perhaps he has some insights

Skibob likes this.
  7. jabassmaster

jabassmaster New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    don't overlook the possibility of the base camry hybrid which gets mid 50s mileage, is roomier, quieter and gives you the longer range w/o worrying about plugging it in....just sayin....

Darrell J. likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are regular Prius available more local to you? Or you have your heart set on a Prime?

9. Drac

Drac New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Regular Prius are available in my area. They sell Teslas in Indy, but the Prime is practically non-existant in IN. There is also no State Tax refund for owning a PHEV or EV in IN.

The Prius is very appealing for a number of reasons, but 27,900 is nuts for a Prius Three from my local dealer. If I factor in the 4k rebate the prime premium starts at 25,000, has more features, better mpg for my random longer drives, and I will run EV only for my daily commute.
    I'm totally willing to drive 6 hours to get 4k off. I'd like to get the starting price lower, I'm just not sure what the PA rates are usually. I have been reading the official prices paid thread and it has given me some idea. There is a bit too much white noise on that thread. I might have to think up a Google query to get to the meat of it.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in some cases, the prime is cheaper, if you don't mind the travel

11. Drac

Drac New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I used to drive quite a bit. 6 hours doesn't seem too bad. An inconvenience to be sure. But, 12 hours in one day would be a new record. At least the last half I'd have Lane-keep assist and ACC. =)

bisco likes this.