1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking to the future: what hybrid should toyota build next?

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by xraydoug, Oct 1, 2013.

1. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have this idea, that toyota should build more hybrid models. currantly there is Prius, Prius v, Plug in Prius, Prius c, Camry, Hilander, Avalon I think.

It seems they do little to advertise their hybrids except Prius. I want to see a little pickup hybrid, or a sports car hybrid.

What do you think?

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I luv a good minivan like to see Sienna with 25 MPG avg keep cost down as Highlander so $$$

3. ROLOPR

ROLOPR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I hope the Tacoma should be the next one, I love that Pickup, Tacoma should go between 30 to 40 MPG. If that happens seriously change my Prius C to a Tacoma Hybrid.

BTW you forget mention the Rav4 EV.

dustoff003 likes this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would be impressed by 29 city/27 highway. I have no idea how you could make a pickup shaped vehicle get 40 MPG, and if it is not pickup shaped, it is not a pickup.

The v gets 40 MPG on the highway test, no way you could build a pickup as aerodynamic as a v.

5. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :confused:If I want(ed) terrific fuel mileage, and decide(d) to buy a Hybrid/Electric vehicle, I want it designed and built from the ground up. Plenty of manufacturers are converting current models to hybrid. I understand that not everyones vehicle requirements and life fits (inside) a Prius. For me, not enough mileage gain versus additional cost buying a rebranded, retrofitted hybrid vehicle. It would be interesting to see a new thread with thoughts and testimony from actual owners driving those hybrid vehicles. No disrespect intended.

xraydoug likes this.
  6. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Anything with a modular battery pack. That way you could tune the purchase cost based on your daily commute and necessity. 10, 20, 30 mile options.

garglo and xraydoug like this.
  7. ROLOPR

ROLOPR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Toyota can work with the Tacoma XRS (access cab - low suspension), the current one is 21/25 MPG, and if convert it on hybrid, then add some aerodynamic touch, the battery can go on the back of the half cabin (really I don't seat anyone on the back when I had a tacoma access cab before) and of course adding a tonneau cover can improve milleage.

8. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think the mpg would be good city and lower highway as you state. Our camry gets over 40 city so I think this is achievable:rolleyes: 40 city/30 highway

So a plug in hybrid with different battery options? :) sounds like a good direction for toyota to go.

That is a good idea. I am an owner of a Camry hybrid 2012. I like that car so much I got the prius c2. The camry drives great and if you want a larger car, the hybrid system can save you a lot of fuel. we get combined mpg for 25k of just over 41 mpg. This car feels like it was designed with the hybrid system. I notice the engine/elec switch and other hybrid things much more in the prius c:)

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If Toyota wants a hybrid Tacoma that can compete with competitors in payload and towing, it will have to have AWD and a V6 like the HiHy. That HSD gets 28mpg all around. With the efficiency improvements on the current hybrids, that will become 31mpg. Going with the 4 cylinder in the Camry will improve that further, but will reduce the tow rating.

The HiHy and current Tacoma with 2.7L are both rated at 3500lbs.

xraydoug likes this.
  10. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I agree. Somebody needs to build a good hybrid minivan, and soon. They are exactly the type of vehicle that often get used for numerous short trips where the current offerings are lucky to get 20mpg. I would think a fwd van could do somewhere in the 30-35mpg combined range which would be a huge improvement. It also needs to be available for less than the $40k the Highlander starts at now.

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ..or diesel I guess.

12. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I'm not sure diesel vans would sell very well in the US. Diesel has somewhat of a permanent stigma. It won't do well in short trips, and the cost of the diesel components might as well go towards a battery. In many parts of the country diesel is significantly more expensive than regular (here in NY, typically .30-.40).

Think of all the time minivans are kept idling waiting for kids to finish some activity. There is lots of underfloor space to house the batteries if they want to make a plug-in model. It seems like the perfect fit.

13. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You mean like this:
    [​IMG]
    Toyota Concept Cars | Toyota Concept Vehicles
    Report: Scion Pickup Coming in 2014 Based on Toyota A-BAT Concept - PickupTrucks.com News

dustoff003 likes this.
  14. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My family would buy a RAV4 hybrid. We'd even lease the RAV4 EV if they'd just agree to service it outside of CA.

NR427 likes this.
  15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    With the new diesel models being introduced by Audi and BMW, the stigma may not last.

People are pennywise, pound foolish when it comes to fuel type for a vehicle. The cost per mile generally works out the same between a gasoline and diesel drive train for a model. That's using the EPA sticker numbers, which is underestimates a diesel real world fuel economy by 10%.

Compared to the current gasoline models, a diesel engined minivan will burn less fuel idling.

16. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Prius Hybrids tend to be purpose built transportation devices that excel at low emissions and high mileage. I would hope for a minivan, between a Mazda 5 and a Sienna.
    Mazda Premacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Toyota Mark X ZiO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Toyota Hybrids tend to be trim levels of existing vehicles, a hybrid version of the smaller Tacoma pick up would get about 5 more MPG.

Lexus Hybrids tend to be sporty and more luxurious. It is not a market tat interests me, I have no suggestions.

A hypothetical Scion Hybrid would be a plain box the owners could decorate as they pleased. I liked the original xB
    Scion xB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

17. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I wasn't thinking about towing. It is intresting to consider how that would work out.:cautious:

18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    While a pickup bed alone would satisfy many of a person's needs in a small truck, it wouldn't sell well.The SUbaru Baja was only on the market for a few years, and the Honda Ridgeline isn't a big seller.

Most truck buyers here don't think a unibody frame could do a truck's work, and that they need a V8 to pull a small trailer. Thanks to years of marketing. Small cars overseas are tow rated for a fair amount. In the US, the same model is likely zero.

Now Toyota has a tow rating of zero for the Prius in all markets, as far as I know. The Camry hybrid got a small one after pushing from Toyota AU, because cars that size are expected to tow there. Toyota has a reason for limiting towing with an HSD to vehicles with AWD for the most part. Perhaps they are worried the touchy traction control will be triggered more often with more weight on the back end, or the PSD wasn't engineered for that type of strain, or they are just being overprotective.

19. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think overprotective, but who would blame them. They want to be known for dependability. :rolleyes: someday I think we will see V8 hybrid. it should work great! A small block chevy can power a suburban on the hwy at over 20 mpg, so tie that to a hybrid battery and improve city to over 25 mpg. this full size large!! suv could easily pull a larger trailer 6-8k and has room for everybody. Not exactly a high mpg car, but if you are going to drive a 4x4 suv and need to tow, it has seating for 6 plus stuff + boat on the back. :cautious: I think that may take awile before this will be done.

20. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't disagree, but in my experience, few regular folks are interested in owning diesel vehicles. Not the least because diesel is not available at every station, and the diesel pumps are often off to the side and messy. This is a big turn-off for women in particular.

I understand that the price per mile is similar between the two different drivetrains, that's exactly the point. What is the advantage for people if they are paying more upfront for a vehicle (perhaps hoping to get it back at resale) and not saving anything in the long-run if the per mile cost is about the same? I'd say that's a pretty good argument that people are mostly making the right decision. One of the few diesels on the market today here, the Cruze, is a $4-6k up charge over the gas trim it is based on. I personally really like diesels, but that's a big pill to swallow for a nominal fuel savings - not to mention the Eco model that brings the gas engine to per mile parity, for $5k less up front.