1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking to upgrade speakers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rserton, May 25, 2005.

1. rserton

rserton New Member

Hello out there. My silver 05 prius should be here any day now. I can't wait. I'm interested in upgrading the stock speakers and not break the bank doing so. I don't need something that you can hear coming from a mile away, just crisp, clear sound with decent bass. The harmon/kardon stereo in my BMW is great. If I could get something that sounded just like it, I would be very happy. Can anyone out there suggest speakers/amps/subs that perform well? Thanks a bunch. BTW, I joined the site yesterday and saw the post about the discounted warranties. Sure enough, I called my dealer and told him I could get a better price and he matched the $985!!! Woo hoo!

2. bobc

bobc New Member

Since you mention amp, just want to check first that you got the standard radio package and not the JBL system.

If you have the JBL system, you'll want to do a search to see what you'll lose out on if you swap out the OEM amp.

If it's a standard system, I can tell you that I kept the OEM head, added a JL 4300 amp and used it to power Boston Acoustics (SL60's and SL65's) and the while it imporved markedly, it still doesn't sound as good as the JBL OEM system I heard in another car...

3. Arroyo

Arroyo Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A dramatic improvement to the sound can be made by adding a powered subwoofer with a good crossover network. Not only will it improve the clarity and extension of the bass response, it will also substantially improve the sound of the midrange (the latter a byproduct of the crossover network, which reduces the stress on the satellite speakers). You'd be surprised to hear how good the standard speakers can sound.

The Bazooka BTA6100 works very well with the Prius, adds no detectable power or fuel drain to the car, and has a quick release to move or remove the unit. You might want to check out the Prius thread on the Bazooka forum:

http://www.sasbazooka.com/forum/topic.asp?...p?TOPIC_ID=2578