1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking to upgrade the JBL "premium" speakers...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Kev1000000, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

Anyone else replace the stock JBL premium speakers?

I know the Prius uses 6 1/2 size for the doors...

Anyone have any suggestions for speakers? I went to Circuit City and they have a nice selection, but im not sure what im looking at...

My current ones fuzz a little bit when playing some songs that have a lot of bass, i listen to a lot of techno stuff

Thanks for any suggestions! :)

2. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, my last car came complete with a Bose speaker system, and they are definatly a fantastic set of speakers. I don't know much about the technical details of speaker replacement, but I do know good sound quality, and these do have it. Very very good with bass.

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Boss has a sub they make that is enclosurless and is only 8 inches big. It puts out a lot of bass though. So it's 8 diameter.. and only 2 or 3 inchest thick. Which is as small as a normal speaker.

Unless you are going to switch out the JBL amp and the speakers for something like Alpine or Boss. or boston acoustics.. don't waist your money. JBL is a good company. replacing them with something that is not top of the line would not have any effect. You have to replace your amp. The main problem is that the back speakers are underpowered. The other problem is the car is a huge piece of plastic that clips together.. more bass.. more things will ratle. It's a simple car. wonderful car.. but simple.

4. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

how would i go about replacing the amp?

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This all depends on what type of system you are wanting to put in. Are you wanting to add any subs? Keep the speakers stock?

If you want to keep the speakers stock, you'll have to find either 1. an amp that is capable or amps that can power all 9 speakers. 2. take the back speakers off the jbl and power them seperatly. Youll have to have an aux feed ran to the new amp.

What i would do, if money permited. I would re do the system from the second it comes out of the sterio. I would have the lines cut and sent through a nice equalizer unit and some sort of fader so i can individualy control eash speakers output. These can be done with Pre amp RCA controllers. Each speaker or several speakers would get an amp. Most likely, i would get smaller amps for each set of speakers. so, 4 amps and keep the center on stock control. I haven't really looked into this too far.. so i don't know my exact recommendation for the amps.. or maybe just one amp. I'm a power nut.. so maybe this won't work for anyone else.

To keep it simple.. just have the rear speakers removed from the JBL and powered by a seperate amp. It helps a lot. If you are looking for a serious system, PM me.. and i'll help you look up some equipment. :mrgreen:

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately our amp/stereo is a unique setup which would be difficult to replace, without losing functionality. Our amp is generally always on (noted by audible hiss in my system even with the audio system powered "off"), and controlled with a mute line for functions like NAV (bluetooth, voice command, etc.). The front tweeters have a dedicated output on the amp (the rears use a passive crossover somewhere in the line), which further complicates things.

The NAV system also intercepts the left front speaker (woofer only) which could make rewiring for speakers impossible w/o losing that functionality. I'd also be concerned about changing power level output in front due to the fact that the NAV unit directly controls the left speaker via either a relay or transistor. Increasing the power to that channel may possibly cause damage to that "switch". Cars without NAV could have more freedom with this.

Also note that the impendances are kinda funny for the stock speakers. See this thread/post for more info on the specs on this system.

Another note - and it's a big one - our 12V inverter is only rated and *fused* at 100 amps or so, which means we don't have alot of room for adding high power amps. Bear in mind that we've got plenty of other electronics running which doesn't leave alot of head room for anything that draws say over 20A max, and even then, I wouldn't have things plugged into my power ports at the same time, or run the heater when the car is cold (PTC heaters 2x300w) while running amps at high volume.

What some installers have done is put line level converters on the rear channel to put another amp on. I wouldn't opt for this since the only thing I personally want coming from my rear speakers is bass/fill.

According to other threads, others have gotten little improvement on replacing speakers themselves to improve bass response. The best results reported here were by adding a line-level converter to the rear channel, then adding a subwoofer in the hatch area (usually under the "floor"). This would improve bass response in the car significantly, which sounds like what the OP is asking for. I, personally would have preferred that Toyota ditched the center channel in favor of a subwoofer to round out the performance of this system.

In the mean time, you may simply want to experiement with equalizer settings. Having levels pushed to the max setting may not be the best for sound quality since those frequencies may become overdriven at max volume, hurting the overall sound quality. Our amp is pushing 45w per channel (not sure how that's measured though), which while isn't ALOT of power, it respectable. Adjusted properly, most everything (except extremely bass heavy music) stands a chance of sounding decent.

For more info, see the thread mentioned above - there's 5 pages of speaker replacing discussion.

Not trying to burst bubbles, but I don't see the Prius as a high powered audio car - simply due to it's design. Toyota did an excellent job at making sure it's system was the one you could use, leaving little, if any, room for improvement.

7. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

So, replacing the woofers inside the doors wouldnt be a problem, even with the NAV issue and intercepting the left woofer?

I only want to replace the speakers because i think my stock ones are blown because they fuzz a bit at higher volumes...

Thanks for all the info though!

I dont want to "pimp" out my sound system, i dont need subs as long as the in-door woofers can hit semi-hard, and they use to fine until recently.

My EQ settings are like this:

Bass + 2 above center
    Mids - 2 below center
    Treble +3 above center

Most music sounds good like that, but i get some fuzz and distortion in some heavy techno i listen to, and it gets annoying.

Circuit City has these 6 1/2 Polk speakers for 99 and the second for 1/2 off, and free installation. I was wondering if that would be the way to go, or if it would be a waste off money.

Thanks again guys!

8. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

9. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Has anyone driven to a stereo store, and had someone say "Sure, I can put in better speakers than that"? About all I'd feel like doing is putting those in, since once upon a time it worked wonders for a Geo Metro.

Specific model numbers that were recommended would be helpful...

10. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Forget about changing the speakers. I changed my rear speakers and there was no improvement. I did add a equalizer/amp to send more power to the rear speaker and that did improve things, but send too much bass to the doors and they rattle. I am thinking about adding a sub under the hatch floor. That's the only way to go.

11. thockin

thockin New Member

I want better sound in my non-JBL system. What I think is missing most is high-end. I'd like to see a small tweeter high up on the door. Anyone seen any custom mod people that are pioneering this?

Tim

12. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The non-premium does have a tweeter in the sail panel, or so I thought?

13. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, I can get the front doors to rattle without spending any more money.

Thanks...

14. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dion\";p=\"29279)</div>
    My experience is quite different from yours. And those rear speakers are such total pieces of crap, I can't believe that you heard no improvement - unless the speakers you installed were too difficult of a load for the JBL electronics to drive.

I've got the JBL 9-speaker system and it used to sound so bad, I actually stopped listening to it. It was so bad I'd rather just turn it off. This weekend the local Circuit City had Infinity 6010cs component speakers on sale for $50 off, so I had them install a pair in the front (they only had one pair at the store I went to). Huge difference. I've had these speakers in other cars, powered by separate power amps, and liked them for the price. Although the sound in the Prius isn't as good as in my other cars (due to the crappy electronics), it's still a big improvement. The sound quality is now acceptable and I've begun listening to the stereo again. The rear speakers now sound even worse by comparison (I didn't think that was possible), so I'll be installing another pair of 6010cs speakers next weekend. I'll probably buy them on Ebay and install them myself, rather than have to wait around Circuit City for 90 minutes. I still have to try disconnecting the center speaker, and I'll install a Bazooka subwoofer as soon as the special wiring harness is available (too lazy to figure it out on my own, pitiful for someone with an EE degree).

15. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Re: Looking to upgrade the JBL "premium" speakers.

So are the door-speakers in the JBL-system 6¾" or 6½"? Crutchfield says 6¾" but I see 6½" mentioned a lot on PriusChat. Seems some of the better speakers come only up to 6½" too.

16. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't know as I already tossed mine. I did check out what the installers gave back to me, and there was not a plastic basket as is shown in Sparky's PDF. So the JBL system might use a larger speaker (6-3/4'") than the non-JBL. I know the speaker I threw away was a lot more substantial than the one shown in Sparky's PDF, which was from a non-JBL system. Still a POS though.

The Infinity speakers come with an adapter ring that will fit the 6-1/2 speakers into the larger hole. You should be able to buy similar adapters separately to install any other 6-1/2" speaker in the Prius doors.

I bought a second pair of Infinity speakers on Ebay so now I've forced myself to install them myself rather than taking the lazy way out and getting Circuit City to install the other pair.

17. leeskarha

leeskarha New Member

I see the Infinity's come with a crossover.

(2-way external crossover network (18 dB/octave, 3,500 Hz high-pass and low-pass) )

Did they use the Infinity's crossover for the front speakers? If so how did they wire it? Or did they just replace the mains and tweeter and use the crossover built in to the JBL amp?
    -Lee

18. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(leeskarha\";p=\"104127)</div>
    The latter. They figured out the two speakers were driven separately and gave me back the crossovers along with what they took out of the car.

I wasn't too worried about the frequency responses of the Infinity drivers beings so different from the stock speakers that it would be handicapped by utilizing the filtering/crossover in the amp. Anything is an improvement, and I didn't want to start rewiring the car to drive the front speakers with the rear channel outputs, etc. I figure it's just a car, not my living room, so as long as I can get the sound quality up to an acceptable level, I'm happy.

By the way, the installers there thought they could easily install any 6-1/2" component speaker they sold in my Prius, front or rear.

19. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Thanks for the infos! I'm going to get busy checking out the Infinity 6010CS systems and the Kappas now. Infinity seems to be the speakers of choice out of the variety out there. Figure with the Kenwood in the back, why not, eventually..

Now the 6010cs are 4ohm, and the Kappas are 2ohm, and it looks like the JBL has weird impedences of 2ohm in the front and 3 ohm in the back.. Would sticking 4 ohms front/back or 2ohm front/back speakers be okay?

And would the replacement tweeters fit in the same mounts as the OEM?

20. wilco

wilco New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike\";p=\"104256)</div>
    As long as the replacement speakers are the same impedance or higher, you have nothing to worry about.

Now for the front doors you need to look at the impedances of the individual replacement speakers, not the set. Since very little current is drawn by the tweeters, you could install lower impedance tweeters without overheating the amp, but depending on the replacement tweeters' efficiency the sound may not be balanced (too bright). In this case, a resistor can be placed in series with the tweeter to attenuate its output.

Now the rear is a different story. Because there is only one output for the rear with the tweets/woofs in parallel, you need to look at them as a unit.

Rear tweet = 6 ohms
    Rear woof = 3 ohms

(6x3)/(6+3) = 18/9 = 2

So as a unit, the total load would be 2 ohms.

A passive crossover will change the load seen by the amp, but in this case there is just a cap on the tweeter to block low freqs so the effect would be negligible in the passband, and the load would be closer to the woofer's impedance below the tweeter's cutoff frequency. In plain english, the load that the rear speakers have on the amp would be between 2 and 3 ohms depending on the music.

So the replacement set for the rears could be as low as 2 ohms total.

Upon reflection, I suppose I could have just said "min. 2 ohms per set will be fine" :mrgreen:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike\";p=\"104256)</div>
    Rear will most likely fit, front will most likely need to be modificated!

(edited for speeling and tepos :roll: )