1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking to upgrade to prime from 2016 Prius 4 touring

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by ilovemymac, Jun 20, 2023.

1. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am looking to upgrade my 2016 to a Prius prime. I’ve looked at a 20 17, 2018 out of 2020. I thought I read somewhere that the 2020 offered the same thing as the Camry worry keeps you center between the white lines. But now I can’t find that info.
    I also thought the 2020 added some other features but now I can’t seem to find them other than the Apple CarPlay.
    I read somewhere in this group that the 2017 don’t get as good of gas mileage is the 2020 but they run the same engine and everything so I was curious to how that was.
    I will be looking at either the limited if it’s the 2020 or the advanced if it’s the older models.

thanks for the help and advice.

2. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm not exactly positive what year it was added but the lane keep assist in my 2022 Prime is light-years better than whatever my 2016 Prius had. It actually keeps you centered rather than the light suggestion to maybe stay on the road you get in the 2016. Does pingpong a bit. I've heard folks have installed comma.ai systems and have had good results.

2020 and newer also has 3 back seats instead of 2 with a large plastic center console like in 2017-2019

Gas mileage and EV range is the same 2017-2022. There have been slight changes in what exactly causes the gas engine to engage with the later model years using it more in colder weather.

The nuances between model years are something to consider but when buying used the history of the car itself is also important. I tell friends and family to pay for a pre purchase inspection from an independent mechanic when buying used. If the seller isn't willing to accommodate then you don't want to buy from them.

3. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is that center console on the back only on the prime? My 2016 non prime can seat 3 in the back.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    When introduced, the Prime only sat four. Had to do with keeping the car's gross weight rating within a certain range and the addition of the big battery.

Carplay may not be available with the big screen system.

5. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    yeah, when I was in Las Vegas, Iran today, 2020 corolla and it has an automatic lane guidance that kept the center. And I thought that was a vast improvement over the yelling at you if you get too close to the line.
    I’m looking and I’m finding that there are not as many advanced or limited is there are of the base models. It seems like more people buy base models.

6. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It might be that more people keep their advanced or limited models.

PriusCamper likes this.