1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking used and need advice

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by sakai, Nov 18, 2009.

1. sakai

sakai New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone. Great looking community here. My wife and I were out looking for a replacement for her Mazda 626 when we fell for the 2010 Prius. The problem? Well, I commute about 85 miles a day, 82 of them highway, and we got to thinking... about how much sense it made to see if I could find a used Prius for my commute. We don't want to take the new car to my job site (it's manufacturing, and we occasionally leak dust and things that blanket cars - not so good), so we're looking used. There are lots of 2004-2007's around, and we were thinking the older the better for maximum highway mileage abuse. The questions that we had were these - will the Toyota dealer's certification extend the battery warranty? what other issues does one look for on a used model? Any input would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was in the same position as you a few months ago. I also work at a manufacturing facility, a paper mill. I had always bought used cars and drove them until the wheels fell off. I decided to go ahead and buy the 2010 Prius and I am really glad that I did.

I decided to put a sealant on the car and wash it every weekend. So far so good.

I know this is not the answer to your original question but I thought I would give you some help if you were still thinking at all about the 2010 Prius.

3. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1. Why would older be better? Maybe from an economic view as far as price. I would stay away from 2004s, as that was the first model year, and there were a few issues, e.g. traction control, that were later corrected.

2. The battery warranty is probable a non-issue. The batteries on retired Priora are lasting 200,000 - 300,000 miles. The batteries do not wear out. There are, as with any complex part, occasional bad ones. Ask the dealer to about whether certification extends the warranty. I doubt it.

Get a Carfax report at least. If you can find an independent experience Prius mechanic, have the car checked over. You should be good to go.

4. thbjr

thbjr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here is what comes with a Toyota Certified car:
    3 month/300 mile comprehensive warranty
    7 year/100000 limited power train
    7 year/100000 roadside assistance
    + + +
    Get the info direct from Toyota here.

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get a 2006 onwards model. There was an upgrade in 2006 to some of the works like the display and traction control.

6. sakai

sakai New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the information everyone. We are looking for an older one for me due to the abuse that would be heaped upon it - 30k miles a year and being parked where it will get all matter of dust and stuff on it - and also because of the very good reliability reputation of the Toyota brand.