1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looks like I'm joining Prius Nation Tonight...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dan Gross, May 23, 2005.

1. Dan Gross

Dan Gross New Member

Timeline:
    4/21 - Test Drive a Package 3 @ Vanderstyne in Rochester (happened to be in "limbo" and so was available for a drive). There's a whole other story here for the dealer forum that I'll get to at some point. They claimed 35 total people waiting, with different "lines" based on package/color preference. This was kinda off the cuff, as we were trying to decide whether we wanted a Prius and wanted to do a test drive, and this dealer was the only one with a Prius on the lot to drive, so hadn't done homework on package, etc.
    4/27 - Joined PriusChat :D
    4/27 - Go to Toyota of Batavia. They have 4 cars coming with 3 buyers. By this time I knew I wanted VSC, which in New York means a Package 6. Put the $100 refundable deposit down, in case the one available is a package 6 (they had 3 #3's and a #6 coming in). If not, I'm first in line for the June shipment.
    ~5/7 - Get the call that the car available is a Silver #3. I say "no thanks," while chasing down options in Northern PA (where they sell Package #4).
    5/21 - Get a call from Toyota of Batavia. Buyer of Package 6 changed her mind, so the driftwood package 6 is available.
    5/22 - Lots of talking/consternation. Have a hard time rationalizing the full 3K difference, so I ask wife to ask if they can get promotional finance rate ($1500 difference over 5.9% I could get at my bank)....
    5/23 - Dealer comes back with 4.5% rate, and $985 for 7/100,000 extended warranty (thanks Priuschat!). Accepted the pending offer, will "test drive" with the kids tonight (can't buy the car unless the 5 year old gives her thumbs up), run through the checklist (thanks again PriusChat!), then hopefully will drive it home!

One question I have: does anyone know if the New York State incentives were extended (income tax deduction + "$3000 difference" sales tax rebate)? Everything I've read points to "no," but I just thought I'd check against the knowledgeable here...

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Dan,

You are not doing this site and its members any favors by using the TOG discounted rates on extended warranties for PriusChat members as leverage in your negotiations.

First, PriusChat receives a percentage from every sale which Troy makes to customers who are referred to him by this site.

Second, Troy is getting a lot of heat from his factory rep who is prompted by complaints from other dealers that he is substantially undercutting. This cannot be a good thing and could ultimately result in adverse consequences to future buyers of the extended warranty.

Please read this post in the Discounted Toyota Prius Extended Warranty /Service Contracts forum.

'Nuff said

3. Dan Gross

Dan Gross New Member

Sorry, didn't know :( ...there's so much to read here that I missed it...Maybe if the initial post was edited to add the points in the post on page 11 of the thread...I was just trying to get the $ figure folded into the car payment....I didn't tell him where I got the price, I just asked if I could get it for that price, and he came back with "no problem."

:( :(

I'll slink off into the corner now....

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Good for you. You did it just as Troy suggested it be done if you had a compelling reason to buy the extended protection policy through your selling dealer.

There is absolutely no reason to slink off into the corner.

Enjoy your new car.

5. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

LOL, yeah, I feel bad for the dealers all right... Talk about belly-aching... Really, for every one person that "undercuts" (and that really is a matter of perspective), there are 20 others who buy inflated extended warranties from dealerships... There won't be any negative reverberations to customers specifically in that regard unless the majority of consumers start to actively pursue warranties outside the realm of the dealership, which is atypical. Besides, speculating on the future cost of warranties is just about as nebulous as trying to predict various stock performance. It's just not something to worry about.

Oh yeah, welcome and good luck! It's an AWESOME CAR!

:D

6. Dan Gross

Dan Gross New Member

So we take the test drive last night, and my oldest approved the purchase. ;)
    My wife drove it home last night, as I was going to be driving it to work today.

So one of the expressways was closed and I had to use a back road to get to work today. 40mph, 99.9 MPG most of the way....I never thought I'd get joy out of driving slower.

So far, so good! :)

7. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Hey Dan,
    Congrats! So you ended up with a driftwood? I've got a bottle (near full, or maybe even never used) of driftwood touchup paint that I'd happy to give to you (I traded in a 2004 driftwood #0 on a 2005 silver #6 last December). If you'd like it, shoot me your address via a PM here or an email to me at onerpm (at) yahoo.com and I'll get it off to you in the next few days.

Rob

8. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good advice - I added that information to the original post. Thanks for not telling your dealer the source of that "magical" number :) Enjoy PriusChat!

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    My sister is a parts and accessories advisor for the local Ford dealership. if you knew what the standard commission was on that sale, you would be feeling sorry for someone and it wouldnt be the dealer.