1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looks like my '06 is down to her last few days...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sarge, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    After 392K KM's and two battery rebuilds, looks like my loyal 2006's days are numbered.

About 2 weeks ago upon return from a long road trip, the engine began "clattering" when running, getting increasingly louder. I brought it to my mechanic for a quickly listen and assessment and he suggested it sounds like (IIRC) the 'lifter' at the top of the engine, which basically means an engine rebuild. (I am going by memory, I may have this wrong). He did say he would not recommend spending that on the engine given the mileage, he would replace the entire engine instead, given the high mileage (he has other low mileage engines). However, I have no interest in doing this anyway, I think it's finally time to move on. He did say he would buy the car from me for parts for $1000, which seems reasonable given the condition and mileage.

I have continued to drive the car in the meantime, and the problems have worsened. I am now getting historically bad fuel economy, not even Canadian winters get this bad...

The Energy Monitor picture was taken while cruising at 100km/h. My car now goes down to between 25-30% SOC (per ScanGauge) when on the highway, often running at 3K RPM when cruising and with slight throttle push it 'redlines' at 5K. Very limited power. Feels like the electric motor is working against the engine... Almost like I am 'pushing' the engine, if that makes any sense? On lower speed city driving the battery recovers a bit, gets up to 50-ish % SOC, and drives more 'normally', but still less smooth than normal. I am waiting for the battery to start complaining about the abuse. :confused:

Feels like a valve timing issue or something? I don't know... Thoughts?

I just don't think I can put any more money into this car.

Look at this horrible fuel economy. (Ironically, these would be amazing if it were an American car in MPG, but sadly this is metric....) :( That consumption screen was taken after a solid 30-minute cruise at 65MPH without traffic slowdown. Yikes. I just filled up, I expect the next tank to be even worse.

Time to find my next Prius.

Attached Files:

#1 Sarge, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, didn't know you had two battery rebuilds! That's amazing at 392,000km. Ours went kaput at 245,000km on the original battery (I suspect a few bad cells cause we never went down to 1 bar but you could tell the engine was running more often and the battery charge swung more wildly. Also, our FE wasn't in the 7s lol. It was still in the high 5s or low 6s).

Cool. Are you going to go Gen 4, used PiP or wait for the Prime in the fall?

Sarge likes this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    o_O
    Well, my game plan all along was to wait for the Prime, however now it seems very clear I do not have that much time.

The second battery rebuild was last month, which my mechanic did for me for $650 since he already did it three years ago (115K km) for $1000. He was reluctant to do it this time given the age and mileage and warned me he is "only buying me time" and that I should make a decision soon on my next car since there were no guarantees it would last, or something else major going.

I was hoping it would bridge me at least 6 months, but I guess I 'lost' this gamble. Anyway, it was only equivalent to 1-1.5 car payments, so not the end of the world. My guy says when I am ready to part with the car, he would buy it from me for parts for $1000, and since it was essentially worthless with a dead battery, I figured there wasn't much to lose in doing the repair.

Regarding the fuel economy, it only got this bad this week. But it's getting worse. o_O But surprisingly the battery has not been complaining about being severely discharged as low as 22% SOC, which is basically anytime I go on the highway now. It drops and stays in purple bars.:unsure:

I have been wavering between a gen 4 or a used PIP.... Decisions, decisions...

4. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Are you getting a check engine light?

5. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Nope... That's the really surprising part. Indicator-wise, the car doesn't think anything is wrong. :cautious:

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Often sad when you reach that point with a vehicle you've liked where investment doesn't make sense.
    But you certainly got your functional moneys worth.

If you end up with a newer Prius, you'll probably enjoy the upgrade and the hopefully the "reset" reliability.

Sarge likes this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Agreed. It was a difficult decision to buy 10 years ago, as it was an expensive car in Canada, along with terrible finance rates, and a 'new' technology that required a certain leap of faith, particular in terms of long term costs (amidst common fears of the 'unknown battery costs' back then). Frequency of spotting a Prius in Canada in 2006 was similar to spotting an exotic sports car. :cool:

10 years later, it has been an uber-reliable car, and I have no regrets. My plan from the day I bought it was to 'drive til the wheels fall off', and I think I have done that, having kept it about twice as long as most car buyers keep a vehicle, and in that context, the car was not that expensive. Have been payment-free for over 5 years, and that has been nice.:cool:

I look forward to doing it all again (well, except the payment thing... But at least I have a healthy down payment). ;)

The Electric Me likes this.
  8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    33 miles per US gallon is certainly not great fuel economy for a Prius. I agree that if you wanted to restore that Prius to a normal fuel economy level, you would need to replace the traction battery and the engine. Since you don't wish to make that investment, it seems reasonable to dispose of it for $1K and move on.

The engine problem is probably more than valve timing. It is likely just worn out after covering 244K miles. What oil change interval did you observe, and what oil viscosity and brand did you use?

Sarge likes this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Agreed. I realize repairing this would be a major repair, and with the various other components wearing out, I have simply reached the tipping point, sadly.

I just need the car to get me by a few more days...

PS - just noticed that Ontario approved PERMANENT HOV access to plug-in vehicles. Sweet.:cool:

Green licence plates

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sounds like a Civic Hybrid.

11. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good question. Engines shouldn't "just wear out" that early.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, well normally I'd recommend the newer vehicle mostly for getting the latest in cell structure safety. It's more applicable for the Gen 4 because it has an all new chassis and it's designed to meet the crash safety standards currently in place (recall that our early Gen 3s didn't fare so well in the small offset crash because Toyota doesn't have a long enough bumper and/or the correct dispersion of energy to reduce the potential for injury to the lower leg). Also, the Gen 4 is a quantum leap over the Gen 2. We replaced our Gen 2 back in March with a Gen 4 Touring. The DRCC will be helpful in GTA traffic since it works down to 0km/h.

And the Gen 4 is very aggressively priced. $25,995 to $31,900 from base to fully loaded.

BUT the PiP gets you HOV access which can be a time saver.

13. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I used 5w30 full synthetic since day 1 sticking to 10k KM interval (I stretched the 8K default recommendation a bit since I was using synthetic). I did change brands sometimes if on sale, but usually QuakerState.

I did start using 0w20 full synthetic in the winter the last couple years, as the engine became very rough when it was very cold. 0w20 helped immensely with this.

14. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    This is the exact same struggle I have been dealing with. There are advantages on both sides.

As a side note, we replaced my wife's car with a '16 Leaf earlier this year (great car, as everyone here knows), so since I already have an L2, I really wanted a plugin, and can no longer wait for the Prime.

So, I bought a '14 PIP an hour ago!! :cool: Very exciting, but I won't get it until next weekend, as it will require a road trip. :cautious:

m.wynn, aaroncv3 and Tideland Prius like this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice congrats!!

Importing? lol. I saw a locally plated car with "Toyota of Santa Monica" licence plate frames lol.

16. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    No, it's a Canadian Technology model. If you check AutoTrader, there is a blue one in Sault Ste Marie (only one in the country). All mine. :) Though I did negotiate them down, I didn't pay that price. ;)

It is a 7-hour drive away however, so I have a trip ahead of me (fly out / drive back) next weekend....

Tideland Prius likes this.
  17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice! I just saw my first one in Clearwater Blue in real life today. Most of the ones I see are Winter Grey or Blizzard Pearl.

Enjoy!

Sarge likes this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Thanks! There is good reason you haven't seen Clearwater Blue before, as I am pretty certain this is the only colour exclusive to the PiP, the regular Liftback is not available in this colour (at least according to the Canadian brochures for 13/14/15). All the other PiP colours also apply to the Liftback.

I like driving a car different from most, and was one of the things that attracted me to the Prius with the 2nd gen (besides all the cool tech). I think the chrome trim on the PiP definitely makes it stand out, plus this being a unique colour helps. (y)

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, it's a PiP-exclusive colour but I think owners are perhaps a bit more conservative. It is a nice colour, however. I suppose the Prime's "Blue Magnetism" is an evolution of that colour on the Prime. Heck, it's a nice evolution from Seaside Pearl :)

I agree. A Prius was unique but now the PiP has taken that title. I think of it as a Prius with a bigger battery. A bigger battery that allows for more A/C with the engine off time. A bigger battery for capturing more energy on mountain descents. A bigger battery for longer P&G sessions.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Hey, what are you saying about my Seaside??? :D

J/K... it's funny how things work out, that I am getting another blue car, mainly out of fluke since that is what came available, but I like it. :cool: Our other car is also blue.:LOL:

Finally updated my signature after many years, I will change my avatar picture too (don't even live at that place anymore), once I get the new wheels. ;)