1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looks like my 22' XLE might be malfunction as long as I own it :(

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Chris Wolfgram, Jul 17, 2023.

1. Chris Wolfgram

Chris Wolfgram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Had it at two different dealers twice each, and none of them can figure out all of my crazy pop up messages and check engine light, except to say that my aftermarket head unit could be sending it signals that a screwing things up.... But keep in mind, I had that head unit put in in the first week I owned it (10 months ago) and had ZERO problems until 2 months ago, when it popped up with the first ominous sounding message "Hybrid system Malfunction, please see dealer"... along with, "Low Breaking power"... "Collision Avoidance system malfunction".... and the check engine light.... Now it does it all the time. After 3 or 4 driving cycles, it clears itself, but after anywhere from 30 minutes, to 12 hours of driving, it comes back > whether or not Im using the stereo.

I guess the fortunate things is, > none of these are actually malfunctioning< its only the message telling me they are ? The only thing that actually does not function "sometimes" while I'm getting these messages, is the cruise control, and that's only some of the time > during the times when it adds "Cruise Control Problem" to its list of messages ?

So, the service manager tells me that even disconnecting the aftermarket head unit may, or may not correct the problem.... in other words, it might not be that the head unit is telling the computer something it shouldn't, but rather, its not telling it something that it should ?

Okay, so I could always just put back in the horrible factory head unit, right ? Except that putting it back in was not something I'd have ever expected to do, so I discarded it. Then I find out this total piece of junk of a head unit, can cost over $2000 from Toyota ! Their absolutely no way in hell I'd pay $500 for that head unit..... and even if somebody gave me one, I'd end up with a car which had a stereo that was good for nothing but back ground noise. I do wish I had the factory HU though, just to see if that was actually causing the issue..... And to be completely honest, as it stands, I have very little confidence this is really what is causing all of this. I think its more likely that this is just the excuse being used by Toyota :(

So, I'm going to get the car back today. Will have to have the alarm hooked back up. And while Im at the stereo shop, going to have them pull the fuse on the head unit to see if that actually fixes anything, although I do not expect that it will.

I might continue to research the problem, but to be 100% honest, given the option of 1) having my very nice stereo to listen to, but having a bunch of annoying messages popping up 50% of the time, and not being able to use cruise control, or 2) spending hundreds, or even thousands of dollars, to get a stock head unit back in, >which would give me no guarantees of fixing the problem< but would certainly guarantee lousy sound "for my office" and often my "B&B", I'll stick with option 1 :( Long term, the car would not be able to be smogged in the state of California, with the check engine light coming on (even if it were off at the time, it will hold the code showing it had been on) However, being a new car, it won't need to be smogged for 4 years, by which time, the car will likely be worn out and ready to be thrown away, anyway.

I just want to reiterate > I don't believe the stereo is causing a problem. I think this is just the excuse from Toyota to not have to try to fix anything under warranty.

#1 Chris Wolfgram, Jul 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2023