1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loose "garnish" (the handle for the hatch back)?!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by acadiaphile, Feb 18, 2015.

1. acadiaphile

acadiaphile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The other day my DH pointed out that the handle for hatch back on our 2006 Prius was loose. As the family gearhead, I eagerly took a look and was shocked to find it loose like one of my kid's teeth! Trying to determine the official make of the loose piece, I believe it's the "garnish" (like a spring of parsley?!). The forums include others' DIY repair solutions, but I'm curious if any of you have been successful in appealing to Toyota about this. Personally, I think it's absurd to consider this issue "normal wear and tear". I've owned various vehicles and driven many more and I've never seen anything like this before.

It looks like you can order a replacement for the whole thing (
    GARNISH SUB-ASSY, BACK DOOR, OUTSIDE. DK. RED M.M.,3Q3. REAR MOULDING made by Toyota. #7680147030D0
    ) but it's not cheap, nor is it clear that it's an easy DIY repair.

Thanks, in advance, for sharing any suggestions on how I might appeal to Toyota to repair this problem.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, you have a 9 model year old vehicle. I think you'd be hard pressed to get Toyota to cover this in any way shape or form. Especially when one considers that it is a "handle" a part that is by definition exposed to direct wear and tear. I mean, you can't use a handle, without grabbing on it and pulling on it, and even if you never did anything harsh....it's been grabbed and pulled on for 9 years.

I suppose you have nothing to lose in asking Toyota, but my expectations would be that they wouldn't cover it.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is this covered in patrick wongs thread on replacing the hatch handle? either way, i would certainly lodge a complaint with my dealer. after all, they want their customers to be happy, don't they? you can try toyota customer service if that doesn't work. some things just shouldn't break.is the rubber melting?

#3 bisco, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2015
  4. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really?
    It's a 9 year old HANDLE. Are you really so indignant or surprised that in 9 years of operation it became loose?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    never hurts to ask.:rolleyes:

6. acadiaphile

acadiaphile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Actually, The Electric Me, I am surprised that a handle would start to fall off a car after 9 years. I know of plenty of >9 y.o. cars--none of which have had something like a handle come loose. FWIW, the part barely qualifies as a handle-it's the part you press in to release the hatch--which basically opens itself. Compared to a door handle, there's barely any force applied on it at all! Maybe I'm old fashioned, but when I purchase a vehicle--surely one which is supposed to be "high quality"--I expect parts like handles to open and close the vehicle to remain intact for the life of the vehicle (which I anticipate to be more than 9 years).

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As bisco mentioned, I have posted on how to replace the hatch opening switch in this forum. It is reasonably easy to remove and replace the trim garnish.

Note that the Toyota parts catalog calls this part a garnish, not a handle. Although you apparently think the garnish can/should be used as a handle, it would be better if you avoided putting undue stress on the new part that you will install.

8. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think people are breaking the panel because they're jerking on it instead of lifting it gently. I'm on my 3rd prius and haven't had any problems with it, except the melted rubber on the '06 which I did replace.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same here, but none with over 120,000 miles.

10. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    ol' red, the 2004 had 203k when I sold it. hatch worked perfect. that was a fantastic car.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    '04's were the best. i think they overbuilt them and then started slicing and dicing in following years.

12. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I hope your wrong cause I want to run both my '05 and '06 up to 200k+

funny, first year benz's always suck. takes a few years for the krauts to work the bugs out of their junk.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you probably will, but the 04's do 300+.:p

14. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I figure by 2020 there will be something even cooler than a gen 2 for me to drive.

15. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I am old fashioned, but if my Latch, Handle or Garnish becomes loose after 9 years of operation? I'm just going to happily replace it. I'd be pretty satisfied with nearly a decade of reliable use.
    As I said, you can ask Toyota, but the situation is the situation. A part like that breaking down after 9 years is not likely to get any type good will warranty. Nor in my personal opinion should it.

16. mjschwar

mjschwar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota can call the part a "garnish" but, as it is the only place where you can grab the hatch with your hand and one must be pressing the latch release button while lifting, functionally, the center of the garnish is "the handle". The two center bolts (of four that attach the garnish) that translate the force from the handle to the hatch door are supported at their bases by ~1.5 mm of plastic. This is a very poor design detail in an otherwise exceptionally designed car. In fact, the entire garnish is underbuilt, and the one on my 2004 has cracked at SEVEN stress points, likely in a cascade after the center bolts broke free and the flex of the garnish increased. The "garnish" is trivial to remove with a deep (11mm?) metric socket (much more challenging without) after accessing the back side by gently popping off the panel on the inside of the hatch. Most of the cracks I plan to repair with reinforcing fillets of epoxy to add strength. The main issue of translating force from the handhold on the garnish to the two center bolts I am still considering. I would like to get some metal into play, but I don't want to merely move problems to different plastic stress points.

acadiaphile likes this.
  17. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I would think about reinforcing it with fiberglass.

18. mjschwar

mjschwar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is what I did. In places needing extra reinforcement, I layered on fiberglass mesh tape (used to tape sheet rock joints) and then epoxied over them. We'll see how it holds up...