1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loose Gas Cap - Malufunction

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Free Us, May 6, 2012.

1. Free Us

Free Us Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a 2008 Prius with about 34,000 miles. While I was driving yesterday the malfunction indicator lamp came on. I returned home (was 20 miles away), but did not notice anything wrong while driving. Thanks to Priuschat, I found discussions that said to check if the gas cap was on correctly; sure enough, mine was not on tightly. I've just put the cap back on, but when I started the car, the malfunction indicator still came on. Will the warning light clear on it's own (if the problem was the gas cap) or do I need to take it to the dealer?

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe it takes 3 or 4 cycles to clear the code. Yes, it will clear.

3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just about any car made in the last 10+ years will have the same result it the gas cap is not tight or is cross threaded.

4. Free Us

Free Us Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks very much; I'll put it through a few cycles and hope I don't have to visit the dealer! I've learned a lot reading this forum (it's a much better manual than the one that comes with car).

5. Jeff64

Jeff64 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a new cap at auto zone and the light has not cleared.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.