1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loose gas tank?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by brianguy, May 2, 2007.

1. brianguy

brianguy New Member

Hi folks,

I'm a new owner of a Mag Gray Touring, and I have a couple of newbie questions:

1. Is it normal for the gas tank to move around a bit when you are putting the nozzle from the gas pump into it? It didn't seem dangerous but surprised me, since I am used to the gas tank being totally still and firm when adding fuel. Is this normal, or does mine need to be tightened?

2. Is it correct that the back-up beeper only beeps inside the car? I thought it was supposed to beep externally, to warn pedestrians in the parking lot. What is the purpose of this beeper, if it only beeps inside the car, where only the driver and passengers can hear it? Strange.

Thanks for any insights!

Another happy Prius owner,
    Brian

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The "neck"/filler tube to the gas tank does have some play. That's normal.

yes, the back-up beeper only beeps inside. Some of us have added external back-up alerts since the Prius is so quiet.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 2 2007, 01:56 PM) [snapback]434138[/snapback]</div>
    Others have disabled the internal beeping.

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) There's a ~$10 modification with Radio Shack parts which can add external beeping in Reverse. If you're interested PM me and I will provide a link to the instructions.

5. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The reason it beeps inside is probably to let the driver know "we are surely in reverse now," as the shifter is electronic and makes no "jerk" like a standard car. They need to cover any kind of driver that may sit in the seat for safety? I disabled the beeper, and changed my screen to orange for no particular reason, but no beep backup is definitely more pleasant. I hadn't notice looseness in the tank filler.

6. brianguy

brianguy New Member

I disabled the internal beeper, and it is much nicer now! The backup camera can work as my reminder that it's in reverse :)

7. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 2 2007, 11:56 AM) [snapback]434138[/snapback]</div>
    Yep I have too, but it's nowhere near as impressive as yours. However, it's also less irritating being in the back than the built-in one up front.

Dave M.

8. mrbogie

mrbogie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ May 3 2007, 11:09 AM) [snapback]434824[/snapback]</div>

I tried the Radio Shack fix, and it works like a charm. For those who don't like the "original" beeping, the new one is more pleasant I find. It's a safety feature I like (I have a driveway that crosses a sidewalk) and the new sound is lower pitched. It took about 10 minutes.
    Thanks Charles.