1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loose Steering??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CIA_Guy, May 1, 2007.

1. CIA_Guy

CIA_Guy Junior Member

I've got less than 200 miles on my new Prius....but both my wife and I have noticed a strange thing with the steering. When we are a highway speeds, it seems the car "wiggles" or just acts "squirrelly" for lack of a better description. Our Dodge Charger once had the sway bar go out and it acted much like this. It feels like wind is buffeting us around, even when there isn't much wind.

Is this normal and something I need to get used to, or should I mention it when I take the car into the shop next time? (Yeah...less than 200 miles and I've got to get the bumper replaced....it started falling off....the clips were broken off....factory defect.)

Thanks

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Hi CIA Guy... and welcome to PriusChat

I sounds very much like your new Prius is not properly aligned. It's not unusual for a brand new car to arrive mis-aligned due to the jostling it gets being shipped all the way from Japan, off the boat, then further shipped to your area distributer and dealer. Seems most dealers don't trouble to routinely check alignment on all their new cars... just leaving it to the purchasers.

Both of my Prius, the former 2004 and the new 2007 Touring required re-aligning when new, and this was done at no charge under warranty. On my 2007, the dealer provided a 'before and after' report after alignment.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat, CIA_Guy! I hope that's the Culinary Institute of America, not "the Company". :) On the other hand, the Prius is the perfect car for stealthing.

When you get your alignment, ask for a very slight toe in, say .05° on each side. The spec is dead-on 0°, but a slight toe in helps straight-line track ability. Also, if your steering wheel is at all crooked, it can be fixed at the same time. And confirm that they re-zero the VSC and power steering after alignment.

Personally, I think the BT Tech stiffening plate helps a great deal. (Let the naysaying tirades begin.)