1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loose underbody panels and fog lamp

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SynergyDrive, May 12, 2022.

1. SynergyDrive

SynergyDrive Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Greetings all from a long time lurker, just wanted some quick help fixing a few small things before a long road trip.

20220512_183805.jpg 20220512_183653.jpg 20220512_183728.jpg

As you can see, 2 of the panels underneath the car had missing fasteners and are coming off. If someone would kindly show me where to get these fasteners/push pins along with the part numbers (preferably amazon or napa), that would be much appreciated.

20220512_190018.jpg

Also the driver side fog lamp doesn't want to stay in place as well, which is strange since the tab that's supposed to lock it in is intact. I can pull it forward back into its spot for a short period of time before it comes loose within the bumper again. Does anyone know a quick fix for this without taking the bumper apart or replacing the fog lamp?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I got rid of those ground scraping Rock panels a long time ago they're laying in my shed if anybody makes note of it and would like them the fasteners are just twisty push on things I'll try to get you a number you can buy them Amazon eBay everybody sells them or you can get them through Toyota hi constantly go up and down and rock driveway and each of my rock panels had about 24 lb of rocks I took them out and weighed them and each one certainly the aerodynamics I'm getting don't outweigh the weight of the rocks I was carrying so off they went they're not protecting anything for sure the rocks that these trays were scooping up or just nestling against the floor of the car touching again the exhaust the plastic cable runs whatever's up under there now nothing touches them because it can't sit in the tray and Nestle up against everything delete

3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The little expansion tabs or "fingers" of the pastic fasteners contact the metal of the body to which the panel is fastened. Vibration from driving causes the netal to "saw" through the much softer black nylon 6-6.

After 5 or more years, they cannot retain their hold and fall off from tension of the flapping panel.

I just replaced the majority of them on my 2012 Prius v with only 27k miles after 10 years, Over half of the ones that I removed hand missing expansion "fingers."

Just take an hor or two and replace them as part of your maintenance schedule.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Attachment has the fastener info for the engine bay underpanel, that's some of them anyway..

^ Do it right: do the research, get the Toyota fasteners, get it raised a bit, see for yourself what's going on. The fasteners will last, if whoever takes them off does it carefully, and washes the grit out of them (for the plastic fasteners). For bolts and screws, drench with light oil whenever they're off.

You're in the States? Might help the responders to clarify which state:

upload_2022-5-13_11-40-50.png

Attached Files:

#4 Mendel Leisk, May 13, 2022
    Last edited: May 13, 2022
    SynergyDrive likes this.
  5. SynergyDrive

SynergyDrive Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you, but do you have one for the panel that's further back as well? I'm pretty sure the push pins for the engine bay cover won't fit there.

And I'm in Texas. Not sure how this info could be helpful to the posters though.

Also, any suggestions for the fog light problem?

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think they're here:

SUSPENSION CROSSMEMBER & UNDER COVER. 2014 toyota Prius | Toyota

Look around the above (official toyota) site, Amayama, McGeorge Toyota Parts, and you should be able to find what's needed. Or drop by a local dealership parts department; they can help.

7. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota, unlike other manufacturers use 7mm instead of 8mm nylon push in rivets like these.

AUTOKAY 100pcs 7mm Fender Push Clips Retainer Plastic Rivet Fastener for Toyota Pontiac